Number one MUST HAVE flashlight

fixitman

Newly Enlightened
All I know is, if I could afford to outfit everyone I care about with a light, it would be either 1AAA or 1AA, multi mode.

A light is only good if you have it when you need it, and it works when you need it. Every woman in my life would carry a small AAA powered light if it was in a color they liked, and pretty much every man I know would carry one if it was free.

That being said, I guess I would have to say Fenix LoD/LD01 would cover most situations and people fairly well. As another plus to the fenix, the pocket clip enables you to wear it on your hat as a headlamp, which I find extremely useful.

Now, since I am generally not made of money, pretty much everyone I care about sports a cheep coin cell light I got from Deal extreme. Paid $.50 each, and they have great reliability so far. run times and brightness are ok.

I plan on upgrading most of them to fenix E01's as soon as I can afford it. My sisters would love them. But then, all 3 of my sisters have strong practical sides :twothumbs

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just food for thought in this discussion, but a Bic lighter or a Zippo would probably get you through a lot of situations that a 5mm LED would, and open the door for a more significant number one must have flashlight nomination.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
For only one light I guess I'll have to go along with those saying a 1AAA light. Lots of good ones, especially the Fenix E0 and E01, with their long runtime and adequate brightness.

For those that would never settle for the limitations these lights have I think the new LiteFlux LF3XT is the current MUST HAVE in larger lights.

Geoff

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
For only one light I guess I'll have to go along with those saying a 1AAA light. Lots of good ones, especially the Fenix E0 and E01, with their long runtime and adequate brightness.

For those that would never settle for the limitations these lights have I think the new LiteFlux LF3XT is the current MUST HAVE in larger lights.

Geoff
Am I the only one who got E01's that were so purple as to be special effects lights only? I mean, I heard the same thing about Arc AAA's being purple too, but the two I just got have only a tiny spot of purple in the middle of the hot spot and have immediately become favorites.

The E01 on the other hand is on my short list of lights I hate because of how badly purple the beam was and all the recommendations for them have me wondering if I got the only two bad ones on the planet?!? :(

I love my two Arc lights and if some of the E01's are anywhere near as white, smooth and wide, then maybe I'll take another stab at them. :thumbsup:

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
The thread might as well be titled "If you could only have one light"

My answer would still be my P2D CE Q5 along with an L1 and L2 body.

But P2D primarily because it's easily EDCed....

Sure, something big and decently bright around the house.

Not at all, there is a big difference than the light you feel everyone should have, and only having one light. I feel that everyone should have a Photon because they are handy and will always be carried and around when needed, posssibly saving their life. Not every person is going to carry a Surefire, and various other expensive lights, or a light larger than a photon simply because they will not make the effort and commitment to do so, so everyone having one would be worthless.

However, if I could only have one light, it would not likely be a Photon because I would want something that can be used in different situations, say hunting and tracking. I would have to at that point try and balance size with something versatile enough to do every single task. In this case I might instead choose something like a Stylus Pro, brighter, yet still pocketable and easily carried.

That is the difference and why it was NOT titled "If you could only have one light".

Last edited:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody who is seriouss about this hobby needs at least one of the classics (SureFire G2/6P, an ARC AAA, an Inova X5 etc) and the A2 Aviator!

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you had to choose the number one most indespensible must have flashlight that every person should have what would you vote for?

My vote would be for the Photon Microlight, any version. I think everyone should have one of these small lights on their keys, around their neck, somewhere they carry it every single day. They are just too handy, to easy to carry, and too reliable not to have on ones person every single day. I think of them personally as life insurance and have literally given them to every person in my family and most friends. All told I have probably given away about 40 of them.

Where in here did I say every person serious about flashlights, flashaholics, etc etc etc, I asked what flashlight that people considered a must have for EVERY PERSON. In every person I mean every single person, even if they really could care less abouut flashlights.

Not what is the only flashlight should a person should own, not the only flashlight a flashlight nut should own, not what light should every flashlight person should own, sheesh...:duh2:

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
Am I the only one who got E01's that were so purple as to be special effects lights only? I mean, I heard the same thing about Arc AAA's being purple too, but the two I just got have only a tiny spot of purple in the middle of the hot spot and have immediately become favorites.

I have put my E01 on my car key ring - because I don't use my car much (maybe 4 times in the last 14 weeks). I have my L0D on my Motor scooter key ring because I use that all the time (around 10,000kms of travel in 14 weeks). Really I don't have a very high opinion of the E01, my L0D is a much better light with more brightness and low & med modes - and a pretty decent tint too.

L0D = a quality light
E01 = a cheap light, with a horrible tint & a cheap reflector.

If I come across a situation where it might be appropriate to give away a cheap little AAA light then I will give away my E01. My L0D is a keeper though - it is the backup light to my EDC.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I have put my E01 on my car key ring - because I don't use my car much (maybe 4 times in the last 14 weeks). I have my L0D on my Motor scooter key ring because I use that all the time (around 10,000kms of travel in 14 weeks). Really I don't have a very high opinion of the E01, my L0D is a much better light with more brightness and low & med modes - and a pretty decent tint too.

L0D = a quality light
E01 = a cheap light, with a horrible tint & a cheap reflector.

If I come across a situation where it might be appropriate to give away a cheap little AAA light then I will give away my E01. My L0D is a keeper though - it is the backup light to my EDC.
Pretty much the same as my feelings and I just wondered if lights like ours were the norm or the exception. My Arc lights I just got are so much better than the E01's I bought a few months ago for gift lights. I gave them both away, but now I want to give them something else, like an Arc or L0D so I don't have to feel guilty about giving them a special effects light.

I still stand by my personal choice for any of the 'decent' AAA lights because anyone can find a place to carry one.

I just talked to a friend I gave an L0D to a couple months ago and he already lost it but wanted to get half a dozen of them for friends and himself too. He was very disappointed to hear that the new ones don't have the flashing modes as he and all the friends he showed them to felt the functions were well enough out of the way to be handy, but not obnoxious. For him the choice would be one of the older L0D and not the LD01. I feel they're both good choices depending on the individual.

No matter how long this thread goes on I believe there will remain two approximate camps of Photon or AAA, and I can't disagree with either one, although I belong to the second group! :wave:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
After living with an old standard Arc AAA, Arc AA, CMG Sonic, Fenix E0, Fenix E1, etc., for a long while I'm not bothered by the tint or construction of the Fenix E01. It's just the nature of that beast (non-Luxeon or Cree LED). The E01 seems to me to be every bit as robust and probably more reliable than an Arc AAA.

Geoff

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I'm different than a LOT of you.

I wear jeans with a belt. A Fenix holster right in front of my cell holster is almost un-noticed in day to day life.

P2D CE Q5 in general mode does 95% of all I need in my job.

I suppose if I worked in an office and wore slacks my opinion would change. I suppose I'd have to try a P1D CE Q5 in my front right pocket.

But the beam quality and tint of MY P2D leaves me feeling that there is nothing even on the drawing board that could knock it off my belt!

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
I vote for the Brinkmann 3 watt Digital Dimmable 2D CREE XR-E LED flashlight. IMO it has the perfect combination of throw and flood and a super long runtime, with 4 brightness levels.
It is one of the brightest LED flashlights I have ever held, yet on its lowest setting (0.5 watts) it puts out just enough light to see by.
It is shock resistant and I consider it my beater light. It can take lots of bangs and falls and keeps going.
It has a very deep OP reflector which explains its great combination of flood and throw. It is featherweight compared to other 2D flashlights I have held yet has turned out to be a very durable and reliable light for the few months that I have been using it. I am indeed very impressed by it!

The reason why I am voting for it is because it is just such a great all-around light. I know there are many other lights I don't have experience with that are just as good and much better than this one, but I do think this is a great light for anyone to have. :)

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Where in here did I say every person serious about flashlights, flashaholics, etc etc etc, I asked what flashlight that people considered a must have for EVERY PERSON. In every person I mean every single person, even if they really could care less abouut flashlights.

Not what is the only flashlight should a person should own, not the only flashlight a flashlight nut should own, not what light should every flashlight person should own, sheesh...:duh2:

Disappointing, isn't it?
No one reads what the other asks, all is about posting what "I" like.
This dilutes so many threads and makes them worthless.

bernie

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you wanted to accommodate the average internet users short attention span you could start a new thread with a more descriptive title.

sappyg

Enlightened
If you had to choose the number one most indespensible must have flashlight that every person should have what would you vote for?

My vote would be for the Photon Microlight, any version. I think everyone should have one of these small lights on their keys, around their neck, somewhere they carry it every single day. They are just too handy, to easy to carry, and too reliable not to have on ones person every single day. I think of them personally as life insurance and have literally given them to every person in my family and most friends. All told I have probably given away about 40 of them.

i like this thread... i don't have a photon but i have several of those lighthound button cell $0.99 led's i don't think about the one on my keys but it is always there. i've givin one to my wife (with all the crap she has on her keys she will never find it) and it's the only light she carries. she won't even carry the p2d i gave her but she at least has the LH button cell light on her keys.
you can't beat $0.99 for a light... this little scorcher puts the photon in 2nd place. S... it costs less than a battery

Tiff

Newly Enlightened
i like this thread... i don't have a photon but i have several of those lighthound button cell $0.99 led's i don't think about the one on my keys but it is always there. i've givin one to my wife (with all the crap she has on her keys she will never find it) and it's the only light she carries. she won't even carry the p2d i gave her but she at least has the LH button cell light on her keys.
you can't beat $0.99 for a light... this little scorcher puts the photon in 2nd place. S... it costs less than a battery

+1 looks great! The photon is fairly expensive, looks like I will break down and order a few of these, it's only 99 cents after all.
How bright are these compared to the Photon?