Olight M30 Triton (new and first pictures

Edog006

Newly Enlightened
Fyaman, I second what Matt and Easyled said, buy 18500 or 18650. I have Ultrafire 3000 mah 18650 (which I think have the highest capacity available for 18650s) I bought 6 from batteryjunction.com they are great so far but $10 a battery. Matt gave a very detailed breakdown, here is the mathematical breakdown might make it easier to conceptualize.

battery capacity rating is always related to an expected discharge

b5f384390ca210b50e6c333336027338.png

Q is the battery capacity (mah). I is the current drawn from battery (mA or A). t is the amount of time (in hours) that a battery can sustain.

MilitaryPower

Newly Enlightened
What kind of performance (brightness and runtime) difference would we be talking about between 2x18500's and 2x18650's? Keep in mind that this light will be used for law enforcement.

1dash1

Enlightened
What kind of performance (brightness and runtime) difference would we be talking about between 2x18500's and 2x18650's? Keep in mind that this light will be used for law enforcement.

MilitaryPower:

MattK reported that the difference in output is indistinguishable. Link.

My estimates of the runtimes on high mode.*
Rechargeables (3.7v)
2 x 18650's (with extension tube) will give you about 1-1/2 hours.
2 x 17670's (with extension tube) will give you about an hour runtime.
2 x 18500's will give you about the same (1 hour).
3 x 16340's (RCR123) will give you about 45 minutes.

Primaries (3.0v)
4 x CR123 primaries (with extension tube) will give you 1-1/2 hours.
3 x CR123 primaries will give you maybe an hour and ten minutes.
* _ Runtimes estimated based on typical cell capacities and extrapolation of the M30's max output runtime. Actual runtimes will vary not just because different manufacturer cell capacities vary, but because cell drawdown characteristics differ and the flashlight emitter/driver performance may vary.

NOTE: Do NOT use 4x16340. Link.

===============================================

My suggestion to those who are "on the fence" about batteries is this:

Pick up a dozen primary cells. (You'll probably want a stash of primary cells on hand for emergency purposes, anyway.) Use the M30 in the 3x123 form and the 4x123 form. See which form factor fits you better.**

After you've tried both forms, make your final battery choice accordingly.

For some, 2x18650 will make sense. For others, the 2x18500 will be a better fit. A few may opt for the 3x16340's, simply because they have a ready supply of RCR's. And some will choose to stick with primaries.

** _ Note: I suggest using each form until the batteries are depleted. (a) That will give you a fairly good basis for making the judgment. (b) In any case, for safety reasons, do not mix new cells with partially-used cells.

Last edited:

Dudeman

Newly Enlightened
Excellent breakdown. Thank you dash!

Question. I know there are two flavors of RCR123, the 3.0V and the 3.7V. Can the three volt regulated type be substituted as "primary", meaning running either three or four would work? (I'm a bit confused on this, as many light specs don't specify 3 or 3.7V. Thanks again for the summary, and yeah, I agree, going with 18650 or 18500 in the long run seems the best solution.

1dash1

Enlightened
Dudeman:

Three of either the LifeP04 (3.0v nominal) and LiCo (3.7v nominal) rechargeable lithiums would work.

I don't know whether a straight substitution of four LiFeP04 rechargeables for four primaries would work. You might be aware that LiFeP04 cells have a resting voltage of about 3.2v. However, this is just a typical value.

CPF members have reported actual voltages may measure much higher:
  • Straight from the package, CR123A primaries have been measured as high as 3.4 to 3.5 volts.
  • Fresh off the charger, LiFeP04's have been reported as high as 3.8 volts - but quickly settle down to a resting voltage of 3.4 to 3.5 volts, or about the same as the primaries. However, that's without load.
Under load, the CR123A voltage readily depresses; while the LiFeP04 voltage doesn't drop nearly as much nor as quickly. In other words, the LiFeP04 doesn't behave the same as the CR123A. Stack four of them together and I'm not sure what would happen to the M30. :confused:

Personally, I wouldn't run four LiFeP04 RCR's in the M30 - even if the manufacturer said it was okay.

Not because I disbelieve the manufacturer; but because I wouldn't trust myself. Keeping track of 4 LiFeP04 RCR123's and possibly 4 spares is not twice as risky as maintaining 2 x 18650's and 2 spares. For me, operating on a daily basis with other flashlights using several different types of batteries, it's probably 10 times as risky. Especially since I've already accidentally fried three LED emitters. :eeksign:

Last edited:

Dudeman

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for clarifying the manufacturer specifications Matt.

I'm still confused about the RCR123 and CR123 voltages. I'll try to post my future questions over in the battery forum where they belong, but this is relevant to this particular light and batteries from BJ.

In a nutshell, I'm confused why a 3v RCR123, like the Tenergy 3V, could not be used in place of a primary CR123. My new primaries show 3.5v at rest. The 3v RCR123 show ~3.7 at rest fully charged, but the output is regulated to 3 v under load ? right? Where's the problem? Am I missing something or do manufacturers just make blanket statements about not using RCR123 so they are not liable if someone uses a 3.6V instead of a 3.0V or mixes them up spelling trouble?

Related is this quote from MattK up above "The 3V cells, unless LiFePO4 , are the same cell with extra components added to the PCB which reduce the cells voltage to ~3V to make it compatible with more devices".

4 x 3 = 12
:confused:

Last edited:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 3V RCR123A's start at the higher voltage and the voltage drops to ~3V is 8-12mS under load. Frankly the Tenergy 3V RCR123A's would probably work fine in the M30 but neither we nor the factory wants to warranty 'might work' especially when there are better solutions to the same end; a rechargeable 3/4 cell configured M30.

Dudeman

Newly Enlightened
Thank you Matt! It makes more sense to me now (except the question as to primary voltages and how quickly they drop to ~3v. Am I correct in assuming most primaries are not regulated?)

I have no plans on running 4 x 3V RCR123A in the M30, but I have a ton of them, and it's good to know that it "probably might" work if I ever really needed it to.:thumbsup:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Primary (non rechargeable) Lithium batteries START at 3V. The 3V Rechargeable Lithium ION secondary batteries are really still 3.7V batteies but they have a PCB which, under load, drops the voltage in 8-12 milli-seconds to approximately 3V.
Generally speaking primary batteries, to make this simpler, let's say consumer batteries, are never regulated within the batteries themselves.

Dudeman

Newly Enlightened
Primary (non rechargeable) Lithium batteries START at 3V.

I'm learning a lot Matt, thank you.

So how do primaries start at 3V if unregulated? I have three types on hand and two of them measure 3.25V and the other 3.5V at rest. I would imagine there is discharge curve, however fast. Faster than 8 ms?

(M30 shipped! :rock:)

Last edited:

FLIX

Newly Enlightened
I've been lurking for a while but this is my first post. I'm currently looking for a new weapon light and want to know if the M30 is compatible with the M20 remote switch and weapon mount.

Is this light suitable for mounting on a carbine?

Thanks,

-- FLIX

Sacket

Newly Enlightened
M-Bin is confirmed.

4/28 is about right; factory is shipping 4/25. I think 4/30 is more likely.

You were correct on this date. Just got a notice that you shipped my M30 on Apr. 30. along with 2 18650's. Thanks for your help.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been lurking for a while but this is my first post. I'm currently looking for a new weapon light and want to know if the M30 is compatible with the M20 remote switch and weapon mount.

Thanks,

-- FLIX

I think the M30 will fit the M20 mounts and will confirm. There will be a special pressure switch for the M30's.

You were correct on this date. Just got a notice that you shipped my M30 on Apr. 30. along with 2 18650's. Thanks for your help.

I love it when a plan comes together.. :)

FlashlightsNgear.com

→Formerly d1live←, Flashaholic

Thanks,

-- FLIX
I was told the M20 Switch would NOT work on the M30 but P.switches should be available within the next month or two. I currently have a M20 mounted to my Sig 556 and Remington 870 SuperMag and it takes a beating very well and I expect the M30 will be the same great quality.

mmajunkie

Newly Enlightened
I ordered mine about 3am this morning.

I feel like a kid waiting for Santa, the picture of the entire package at Batteryjunction was the icing on the cake.

FLIX

Newly Enlightened
I think the M30 will fit the M20 mounts and will confirm. There will be a special pressure switch for the M30's.

I love it when a plan comes together.. :)

Thanks Matt. I look forward to trying this out. I'm ready to order as soon as I hear back.

-- FLIX