OMG Lumens EDC Project

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks everyone. It has been a long road thus far trying to get it. Still have a bit to go to get it all set up.

Alright, I'm stupid, what is it, or more importantly, what does it do? I see it's some type of mill, but where is the buttons, controls and stuff? Is it all run via PC?:thinking: Can it make a Black Tie by itself, or is there other machining involved? How many axes does it do? I'd be up for some demonstration time when your shop doors open.

EDIT: Google did it again
http://www.tormach.com/Product_PCNC_main2.html
Tormach PCNC 1100 3 Axis CNC Milling Machine

Nice Job Michael!!!!

Look, he's already started on his first Black Tie!!

Correct! It is indeed a 3 axis CNC mill but it has an optional 4th axis as well when I am ready to upgrade. I sure wish it could make the BT by itself. There are many more steps required to make the BT than what can be accomplished with the mill. And it is indeed run off a computer using Mach3.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Just thought I'd show everyone a real quick photo of my new toy. This is one more piece of the puzzle in seeing the Black Tie come to life.

0529091709.jpg

I'm still busy getting everything set up and will have some better quality pictures when it is done and going. Thanks everyone!

That looks awfully big for an ice machine. But if it puts the flavored syrups on the sno-cones automatically, it was worth getting.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
That looks awfully big for an ice machine. But if it puts the flavored syrups on the sno-cones automatically, it was worth getting.

:crackup: Nice. Just thought I'd mention Lux that your old avatar was my 2 year old's favorite. He would point and say "BABY!" every single time one of your posts came across the screen. I think your new one will probably freak him out now.

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am sooo wanting to see the final work of art. Michael, your explanation of what the Black Tie will and will not be keeps running through my mind just about every time I think about the Tie.

No need to respond to this. I just wanted you to know what effect you are having on some of us (me!:wave:).
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Michael, do you see an eta on this light yet?... I just found this thread... looks likes its been in the works for about 15 months now so I"m not sure whats up.
Your last post (#214) indicated possibly July or August "4 - 5 months"

I see there are at least another 650 lumens involved more than the DEFT. I assume this output will be from the Cree "single" LED and not multiple. Single seems to be an easier ticket for throw with a given size reflector.
If this has almost 3 times the brightness of the DEFT, it should be cool!

Put me as interested.... Especially if Lithium Ion rechargable is in the picture.

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Michael, do you see an eta on this light yet?... I just found this thread... looks likes its been in the works for about 15 months now so I"m not sure whats up.
Your last post (#214) indicated possibly July or August "4 - 5 months"

I see there are at least another 650 lumens involved more than the DEFT. I assume this output will be from the Cree "single" LED and not multiple. Single seems to be an easier ticket for throw with a given size reflector.
If this has almost 3 times the brightness of the DEFT, it should be cool!

Put me as interested.... Especially if Lithium Ion rechargable is in the picture.
There is no hard and fast ETA at the moment. I have so many different projects going right now. I am working to get my paper drawings turned into CAD drawings right now so things are coming along albeit slowly. Remember that just because this puts out more lumens than the DEFT(currently) the beam characteristics and intended use are completely different.

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remember that just because this puts out more lumens than the DEFT(currently) the beam characteristics and intended use are completely different.

Ok.. I'm listening! :whistle: :laughing:

Any elaboration would help make a decision as we all have different needs.. or let me correct myself "wants!".

I want throw, but I really don't desire the extreme spot type that has zero spill as its very hard to negotiate or interpret when there are no surroundings to connect to.

But I would imagine with that many extra lumens, the Black tie would have at least the same throw if not more than the DEFT with possibly extra spill?
Or will that not be the case?

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok.. I'm listening! :whistle: :laughing:

Any elaboration would help make a decision as we all have different needs.. or let me correct myself "wants!".

I want throw, but I really don't desire the extreme spot type that has zero spill as its very hard to negotiate or interpret when there are no surroundings to connect to.

But I would imagine with that many extra lumens, the Black tie would have at least the same throw if not more than the DEFT with possibly extra spill?
Or will that not be the case?
These are two very different lights. The amount of lumens has very little to do with how far a light will throw. As a matter of fact back when I was doing my early tests of the DEFT I found that the DEFT could out-throw the Tiablo A9(one of the best at the time) running at only 350mA. So anyway the Black Tie, despite its higher output, will not come anywhere close to matching the throw of the DEFT.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Michael!

Any closer to a possible pricetag for your BlackTie work-of-art?

Just curious (and waiting)...

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:
I will not have a better idea of cost until I can get some production versions built. If it's anything like the DEFT the majority of the cost is in the labor so I will have to build a few before I know how long they will take to build.

Bronco

Enlightened
There is no hard and fast ETA at the moment. I have so many different projects going right now. I am working to get my paper drawings turned into CAD drawings right now so things are coming along albeit slowly. Remember that just because this puts out more lumens than the DEFT(currently) the beam characteristics and intended use are completely different.

Interesting.

Latest posts