Options for budget pure self-defense strobe flashlight, almost no other priority, at least 2000 lumen.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
he needs a special license to own one, like in Germany, a friend of mine had to get one to own a Rottweiler in Germany, not a license like in USA, where you just pay and get it. you have to actually pass a test.
That may not be entirely a bad thing, maybe we should have that here in the states, too. I know of a case in my state where a kid was killed by a couple of loose Rotties while he was waiting for the school bus. The school bus driver saw the mauling and called the police, but it was too late. IIRC, the dogs were destroyed and the owners were prosecuted. I think too many people have dogs that shouldn't but I'm against charging a fee for a license. Background checks for dog ownership, might be a good idea. IDK, I haven't really thought it through yet. Might violate the Second Amendment or some other civil right.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have what might be a hot take for an internet self-defense argument: The world isn't as dangerous as some people think it is. I am an American, I do own guns, I do carry, but I'm also aware that that the majority of unarmed people on the planet go about their lives without ever being at risk so I tend not to sweat the details. Being prepared is great but modern self defense culture has developed a kind of fearfulness that can't be healthy to live with.

I've seen people online say "don't go to that town, you'll be murdered for your shoes in broad daylight" meanwhile I live there and the worst event within living memory was a cat getting stuck in a tree.

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
You would be incorrect, on both accounts.

You have far too much faith, if you believe the "average" human has any common sense.

I don't know what you do for a living, but I doubt you work in Health Care (of any kind), Emergency Services, or Law Enforcement.

Just in case the first article wasn't enough for you (it took all of 5 seconds to find multiple articles confirming this, BTW), how about from A&W themself...........

Not convinced, sorry.
I have no doubt that Aw came out with 1/3 pounder, but I do not believe it was a reason it failed. Have you tried it? maybe it tasted bad, or they did not offer fries that Mcd did, nor free refills that they use to offer,..... more likely the owner blamed his failure on perceived stupidity of people, and made up the story, i'll believe that sooner than 1/3 pounder UL.

Go on a street and ask a stranger to change you a quarter for a third of a dollar, see how many will do it. You wont find many stupid people when it comes to their money.

What makes you think LEO or EMS would know real life and other trades do not?? kinda stupid to even assume that, or even mention in this context. I actually seen enough stupidity in those trades.

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen people online say "don't go to that town, you'll be murdered for your shoes in broad daylight" meanwhile I live there and the worst event within living memory was a cat getting stuck in a tree.
Well maybe they are right, i live in the area of Brooklyn where gunshots are very common, What they say is true, some areas you will get shot for just looking at someone the wrong way, I used to work for a glass company in EAst NY, bedsty, our van was shot at few times while we drove to/from projects to pick up broken window frames, some of that glass had bullet holes in it, we had a bowl of bullets in a shop that we pulled out of frames over the years. Yes you WILL get shot or stabbed, or beat up in some areas, almost guaranteed. Do not believe me, come visit East ny, or Harlem, or south Bronx.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not convinced, sorry.
I have no doubt that Aw came out with 1/3 pounder, but I do not believe it was a reason it failed. Have you tried it? maybe it tasted bad, or they did not offer fries that Mcd did, nor free refills that they use to offer,..... more likely the owner blamed his failure on perceived stupidity of people, and made up the story, i'll believe that sooner than 1/3 pounder UL.

Go on a street and ask a stranger to change you a quarter for a third of a dollar, see how many will do it. You wont find many stupid people when it comes to their money.

What makes you think LEO or EMS would know real life and other trades do not?? kinda stupid to even assume that, or even mention in this context. I actually seen enough stupidity in those trades.

You believe what you wish

You're still incorrect

What exactly do you do, or is it a Super Secret?

We've had a number of Super Secret Agent men on this forum over the years

Claiming Super Secret Agent knowledge

But when questioned about how they got such Super Secret Agent abilities and knowledge, and simply what their job/work is, they are unable to provide any answers

Seems like a lot of them are IT/computer guys, who read a lot, so they're F-in Experts on Everything (FEOE's)

Funny how that works

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
You believe what you wish

You're still incorrect

What exactly do you do, or is it a Super Secret?

We've had a number of Super Secret Agent men on this forum over the years

Claiming Super Secret Agent knowledge

But when questioned about how they got such Super Secret Agent abilities and knowledge, and simply what their job/work is, they are unable to provide any answers

Seems like a lot of them are IT/computer guys, who read a lot, so they're F-in Experts on Everything (FEOE's)

Funny how that works
I do.
You believe what you wish.
Does it matter what I do?
You just described yourself.
Funny how that works

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I have what might be a hot take for an internet self-defense argument: The world isn't as dangerous as some people think it is.
THIS.

I am an American, I do own a guns, I do carry, but I'm also aware that that the majority of unarmed people on the planet go about their lives without ever being at risk so I tend not to sweat the details. Being prepared is great but modern self defense culture has developed a kind of fearfulness that can't be healthy to live with.
I got tired of this back when I was initially getting into guns - this certainty that every stranger is out to rob, shank, or double-tap you if you so much as flinch. Sure anything can happen, but the likelihood of the specific scenarios that eat up so much mental bandwidth are quite low. And for everyone that carries a piece, spare mag, backup piece how many carry a far more likely to be needed first aid kit?

As one bit of advice put it, carry to live, don't live to carry with the unspoken corollary that life itself needs to be lived with carry under normal circumstances a secondary concern.

Used to live in a rougher part of town. Not like drive-by's and gang wars, but obvious drug dealers and other shady characters living in the same apartment complex. And of the ~dozen-and-a-half immediate neighbors I had in my 5 years there all but three were forcefully evicted. Worked second shift and thought nothing of walking the neighborhood for hours at a time between midnight and 4 AM - main hazard was occasionally being propositioned by said drug dealers ... and being "hunted" by coyotes along the waterway.

Most exciting thing that happened? Some low IQ cretin blasted out of his mind (on something that surely permanently deducted a full point just for that hit) broke into the neighboring unit. I watched it happen through the peephole in my door - dude was bellowing to an imaginary cellphone in his hand as he tried to kick the door down, falling over almost every time - nearly taking a tumble down the stairs immediately behind him every fourth kick. I called the cops immediately and stood by my front door baseball bat in hand, intending to sever his skull from his abdomen should he decide to try to kick down my door. He eventually broke in and started trashing the place, still bellowing into his imaginary phone. Once that was done he started throwing things off the balcony. At about that time the cops arrived and gave him about 500 milliseconds to surrender before closing in and administering a drubbing which ... may ... have resulted in a tumble down the stairs in the end.

Related, the SO is adamant that I never take the train to work because of decades of FUD about public transit. I'm 6'4", far from skinny, and get a lot less lip from randos than the average person. Meanwhile co-worker whose build is decidedly slight and is clearly not a native of the area rides the train daily without issue.

Yes you WILL get shot or stabbed, or beat up in some areas, almost guaranteed.
Sure. But those areas aren't the entire world. Every city has a some very bad neighborhoods - the ones that literally make their violent crime statistics.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure. But those areas aren't the entire world. Every city has a some very bad neighborhoods - the ones that literally make their violent crime statistics.
Of course not, but they are large enough in some cities, and the worst part is a spill over, it would be ok if those thugs and gangs just stayed there but they do not, they go "on trips" to safe and quiet parts of cities, since it is easier to rob and steal there, people there usually do not resist as much and are easier targets, they also have more stuff to steal. This is why people even in safest places carry. It is not about the odds, it is about the stakes.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Back to the burger weight thing, I gotta admit, a large percentage of today's younger generation is stupid when it comes to math, and I blame the schools. I ordered three quarters of a pound of lunch meat at Walmart. The girl gave me like 2 slices. I said no, three fourths of a pound. She stared blankly at me. I said ok, point seven five on your digital scale. Still, blank stare. I said, "just give me a pound of it".

At Kroger deli: The prices weren't marked on all of the lunch meat and cheese. I asked the young lad what the price is on a particular cheese. He said, "well sir, it would depend on how much you want to buy, so I'm sorry, but I can't answer that question for you". Me: ummm, "price per pound" is a concept that you may want to familiarize yourself with if you're going to be working in a deli.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Where A&W got it wrong was they did not factor the average dummy inverts the 3 and 4 thereby thinking 1/3 is less than 1/4.
Now Hardees on the other hand, they successfuly played to the animal instincts. They called their's the "thick burger" and showed half naked chicks eating one while a fellow nearby worked on a heavily chromed Chevy 350 engine. Or the construction worker asking the other construction worker "can I have your cheese paper?".

Nope A&W was too timid and failed to realize the true target audience drinks beer alright, just not root beer. And Wendy's makes their's square, which works too. Beef poking out of the bun in 4 spots creates an image of getting more for your money.

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread about strobing a perp in daylight.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen kids at stores who cant figure your age looking at your date in your driver license, there is even an option with cash registers, type in dob and it'll tell you if the customer is old enough to buy beer, or kids that cannot count change in their head, probably half can not find where Asia is on the map, but none of them will give you 33c for your 25. Not to mention this was a while ago, when supposedly people were smart, even if some were as dumb, there was not enough of them for an entire line of product to fail, there has to be another reason.
McD is over 80 years old, I have 0 doubt, there was thousands of burger joints opened and failed in that period of time, no doubt some offered bigger burgers for less, and other perks, yet they are gone and McD is still here a global FF empire.
Why is Apple so popular? they do not sell product, they sell lifestyle, McD is somewhat similar,

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Of course not, but they are large enough in some cities, and the worst part is a spill over, it would be ok if those thugs and gangs just stayed there but they do not, they go "on trips" to safe and quiet parts of cities, since it is easier to rob and steal there, people there usually do not resist as much and are easier targets, they also have more stuff to steal.
Burglaries happen a bit of everywhere and bet heavily on not encountering occupants because they might resist with lethal force - even in places that make firearm ownership difficult and impose duty to retreat on the residents of a home. Thus the age-old advice that one should make one's residence seem occupied and perform the basics of physical security - locked doors, locked vehicles, keep the place orderly, don't flaunt valuables.

Armed robberies - at least in my region - strongly tend to involve the unbanked, easily identified by their apparent origins south of the US-Mexico border; they generally carry large sums of cash.

The murder rate in my burb will probably rise this year. The incidents that got press involved disputes between those involved in the 'distribution' business and/or their customers.

This is why people even in safest places carry.
I've had a permission slip for said activity since 2010 and intend to keep it active despite "Constitutional Carry" being a thing in TX now. I carry with some regularity but it is not a routine action because sometimes I need to drop by the post office, a medical office, a business that's got a vexing 30.06 sign, I might have a beer at a restaurant, I'm just running to the grocery store, or I'm going to work and my vehicle is not a holster (if I could find a product with a satisfactory combination of security, quick access, and concealment I'd reconsider this stance).

It is not about the odds, it is about the stakes.
If I had a nickel for every time I've heard that one I could almost clear my flashlight wishlist.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do.
You believe what you wish.
Does it matter what I do?
You just described yourself.
Funny how that works
Again, you're incorrect

What I do, is posted in my "about" area, and I have always answered anyone that asks what I do

I not have the need to hide behind a made up name and not tell anything about myself, like you do

So you just keep on doing you, Super Secret Agent man

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I had a nickel for every time I've heard that one I could almost clear my flashlight wishlist.
Does not mean it is not true, it only needs to happen once to ruin or lose your life, or your family members. Sure It does not happen to everyone, but to those that had it happened, remember it for the rest of their lives, and do everything to make sure they never let it happen again.

Last edited:

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Does not mean it is not true, it only needs to happen once to ruin or lose your life, or your family members. Sure It does not happen to everyone, but to those that had it happened, remember it for the rest of their lives, and do everything to make sure they never let it happen again.
Sure, I could be confronted by absolutely random street violence equipped with little more than my wits, my person, and a pocket knife. But immensely more likely that I'll be killed in a car crash given that I have to traverse I-35E, routinely listed as one of the most dangerous highways in Texas. Similarly likely that I'll be snuffed out by an airliner crashing or shedding parts (live within a few miles of DFW below an approach), falling off a ladder, struck by a car walking around downtown, or one of TX's extreme weather events.

If it's worth it to you to make the many compromises in daily life required in order to be armed at all times, have at. But I'll trade ~one-in-one hundred million odds (atop the considerably worse odds every time I get into a motor vehicle) to go somewhere I want to go that doesn't allow firearms or I don't feel the need to 'get strapped' under normal conditions. Because of the point made in post #83.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
That may not be entirely a bad thing, maybe we should have that here in the states, too. I know of a case in my state where a kid was killed by a couple of loose Rotties while he was waiting for the school bus. The school bus driver saw the mauling and called the police, but it was too late. IIRC, the dogs were destroyed and the owners were prosecuted. I think too many people have dogs that shouldn't but I'm against charging a fee for a license. Background checks for dog ownership, might be a good idea. IDK, I haven't really thought it through yet. Might violate the Second Amendment or some other civil right.
Far too many people train their dogs to be vicious, but then let them run loose. That's a recipe for disaster.
I have what might be a hot take for an internet self-defense argument: The world isn't as dangerous as some people think it is. I am an American, I do own a guns, I do carry, but I'm also aware that that the majority of unarmed people on the planet go about their lives without ever being at risk so I tend not to sweat the details. Being prepared is great but modern self defense culture has developed a kind of fearfulness that can't be healthy to live with.

Similar to my thoughts. I lived in NYC when it was at its worst, with over 2,000 murders annually. I never was the victim of a violent crime. Having situational awareness helps you a lot to avoid becoming a victim. Basically keep scanning your surroundings. If you see people whom your gut tells you might be up to no good, cross to the other side of the street. In general stay far enough away so they can't trap you. These same people pick up on it when you're doing that. If they know they lost the element of surprise, they'll usually leave you alone. Act like a victim, you'll often become one.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Again, you're incorrect

What I do, is posted in my "about" area, and I have always answered anyone that asks what I do

I not have the need to hide behind a made up name and not tell anything about myself, like you do

So you just keep on doing you, Super Secret Agent man
I can vouch for this guy^^
He goes places where others fear to go, putting his life on the line nearly every day.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can vouch for this guy^^
He goes places where others fear to go, putting his life on the line nearly every day.
Who cares what he does, How is it relevant to whether one believes urban legends or not? Especially the ones that fall apart under slightest scrutiny. and defy simple logic.