Output of the Sun: How many Lumens?

DM51

Flashaholic
gallagho said:
Don't be soft DM51 take "LBV 1806-20" instead, it's up to 40 million times(!) brighter than the Sun, that might even satisfy some of the HID guys :laughing:
Runtime? Bulb life? USPS Interstellar Priority delivery charge? Beamshots? Is LBV a reliable company to deal with? Is #1806-21 available as well? And more importantly, what the hell was it that went wrong with the emitter in #1806-01? Come on now, you know we need these details.

RadarGreg

Enlightened
I think I'm going to hold out for the upcoming DealExtreme version, Sun 2.0. It is suppose to have a Cree, run at only 750,000 degrees instead of 1.5 million degrees and it is bored out for a 18670 battery. There is a warning label on it; something about not shining it in your eyes, but I'll just scrape it off like I did with my 500mW green, non-IR filtered laser pointer.:grin2:

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
No thank you. I can't get past the fact that the optics are so inefficient: more than 99.999998% of the lumens just fly off into space, and of those, less than half actually make it to the ground! Visual light transmission on the thing is terrible, half the time it looks completely "cloudy"! If they put a reflector on they could really drive up the lux readings but as it is I'm not impressed. Don't even get me started on the tint -- I absolutely hate those 6000k cool white lights, they lights make everything look blue and nasty :mad:, call me again when they make one in warm white.

Last edited:

RebelRAM

Enlightened
Why not wait for the Super-Nova version of the Sun? It is expected to be much brighter. And excellent at burning newspaper, ants, and most anything else. Would it be consider a one-time-use only device? :D

Arkayne

Enlightened
I don't know if you saw the latest Surefire catalog but the Hydrogen Turbohead looks like a winner. It looks like it runs really HOT so don't forget your oven mitts.

m6.jpg

Aepoc

Enlightened
tygger said:
i wonder if heat will be an issue?

You might have to upgrade to a metal reflector and glass borofloat lens

I'm not sure what size you would need... I would assume a turbo head would be the best for collecting all that throw.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The sun isn't incan, it's fusion-powered. It actually has a pretty weird runtime plot - It takes a long time to start up, then kicks into normal pretty suddenly, then there's a big but short-lived increase near the end, then it slowly dims down.

Terrible UI, though - no variable brightness, and you can't even turn it off! It just runs until its power source is gone.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
So much hype!
Geez, it is not like the Sun is the only 5 billion-year, disposable light source out there. 98 lumens per watt? Sounds like a decent Cree XR-E Q3 bin but it will be surpassed pretty soon. A XRE P4 bin breaks 100 lumens per watt at 20-60mA so it is soooo obsolete now. Lets build the sun with a bunch of XREs. No problem heat sinking it, the almost absolute zero of space should make it realy bright. Then we will see advertisements about the new Q4 binned XRE uberlight. New LED, more effecient than the Sun!

DM51

Flashaholic
BentHeadTX said:
Lets build the sun with a bunch of XREs. No problem heat sinking it, the almost absolute zero of space should make it realy bright.
Sounds like a good mod. Is this now a pre-order thread?

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i will wait for someone to do this, a metal aluminum sphere filled with cree xr-e and with a hole drilled in a center for liquid cooling!!!(liquid nitrogen?)

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
dgc said:
Have a look at Wikipedia: ~3.75×10^28 lm
So that's 37,500,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 lumens. Which means PSM's 6,840,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 was pretty almost the right order of magnitude. Where'd that figure come from PSM?

DM51

Flashaholic
Sun v.2 arrived this morning, and already there are major problems. Maybe PSM's figures on output were a little low, but that's not all. Runtime stinks, even on a mega-pack of AW's new protected fusion 18000000650s. Got people calling in asking whether it's an eclipse every time we change batteries. Plus the environmentalists say the temperature is all wrong, what about the global cooling problem, and the suncream manufacturers complaining the UV component is too weak and it will be bad for business. And you wouldn't believe the grief we're getting in the jeers section from the incan boys, saying they preferred Sun v.1, this is a poor quality knock-off, etc etc.

JanCPF

Enlightened
Yep, and the new v.2 came in a cheapo clam shell packing that is now pretty much melted away. And get this: The new version is without keychain attachment :rolleyes: