P60 Drop-Ins: The Wave of the Future?

bspofford

Enlightened
Try to get your hands on the new Dereelight 5-mode Q2 P60 module. It isn't very expensive, it should work just fine in your Surefire, and it's going to make you very happy. I got lucky and had my module delivered a couple of weeks ago.

Zhukov

Newly Enlightened
I can also add Brinkmann to the list of lights. If you remove the incan module, the LX accepts P60 modules. One of the only polymer P60 lights I can think of.

Is that the Maxfire LX sold at Wal Mart for $20?

If so, then :rock:

83Venture

Enlightened
I have a BOG 3 watt in the truck and the 5 watt in the safe beside the S&Ws. Both work well. I have been wondering about the variable power switches for the P6, work well? What are the levels?

bspofford

Enlightened
Why buy a Maxfire LX for $20 or even $12 (plus tax) then put a $10 P60 CREE module into it when you can buy an Ultrafire 502B at DX for $17.50 (or $15.80 each when you buy 3)? Kyle confirmed that the 502B P60 module is exactly the same as the Ultrafire P60 module that they sell separately. The Ultrafire Alpha C-1 and 501B also use P60 modules. You can get the Alpha C-1 with a very bright Q2 module from SuperTactical for about $22, and the 501B is only $15.73 at DX. If you buy 3 lights from DX, the 501B is only $14.03.

But why buy a cheap body for P60 modules when the cost of a premium flashlight body can be spread over many years? In the past I was buying $25 lights every year that were replaced as new emitters became available. I also bought new lights because new features like multiple modes came along. Now I have a CL1H and can update a really great piece of engineering with P60 modules that cost less than the cheap light. The break even point is only a few years out, and in the meantime, I have a preumium quality light rather than an economy model. Isn't that the real virtue of P60 modules? :thumbsup:

Zhukov

Newly Enlightened
Why buy a Maxfire LX for $20 or even $12 (plus tax) then put a $10 P60 CREE module into it when you can buy an Ultrafire 502B at DX for $17.50 (or $15.80 each when you buy 3)?

Well, in my case, I already have the Brinkman. But you're right - for the money, I'd just buy a whole new light...

democopy

Newly Enlightened
It seems to me, that a consumer can protect his $100 or more investment in a beautiful HAIII body by buying one that can be upgraded for between a quarter and a third the cost of a new light. Moreover, you can have a multipurpose 18650 light with a floody P4 beam one minute then convert it to a Q2 thrower the next. This "open architecture" is definitely the wave of the future.
This is exactly my thinking.

Now for the quality host!

DereeLight CL1H
Surefire 6PD
Surefire C2

others?

kbrd

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone tried a drop-in in a Surefire G2Z Nitrolon? What brands work in this light?

cjlandry

Newly Enlightened
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/161536

This really ought to be sticky; it seems like I quote it 3 times a week.

I suspect as LED LA's becomre more popular, they'll show up here or in a similar comprehensive thread.

+1 vote for this to be a sticky... Info about what fits without any modifications (G2 without a gap) would be really handy IMHO.

It is linked in the sticky at the top of the incandescent forum. Does that count? I've been referring to it quite frequently myself.

sims2k

Enlightened
Try to get your hands on the new Dereelight 5-mode Q2 P60 module. It isn't very expensive, it should work just fine in your Surefire, and it's going to make you very happy. I got lucky and had my module delivered a couple of weeks ago.

Agree wholeheartedly on the Dereelight P60 module...I am getting the Dereelight DBS and CL1H for their easy upgradability.

sysadmn

Enlightened
Between keyboard and chair, in the US Midwest.
This is exactly my thinking.

Now for the quality host!

DereeLight CL1H
Surefire 6PD
Surefire C2

others?

The Surefires aren't 18650 compatible, but can be bored to accept them. Wolf-Eyes are, and have several lights that work, but can be picky, since the neck of the tube is shaped slightly differently. Usually, removing the outer spring and possibly adding a bit of foil or wire is all that is needed. My understanding is that the Pilas are the same way. Consult the referenced thread above.

bspofford

Enlightened
The Surefires aren't 18650 compatible, but can be bored to accept them. Wolf-Eyes are, and have several lights that work, but can be picky, since the neck of the tube is shaped slightly differently. Usually, removing the outer spring and possibly adding a bit of foil or wire is all that is needed. My understanding is that the Pilas are the same way. Consult the referenced thread above.

DeereLight is one company that thinks ahead and engineers lights to accommodate all protected 18650 cells both in terms of diameter and length.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
SureFire heads + 18500/18650 Leef bodies + SF tailcaps = the best combos hands down!

Cnote

Newly Enlightened
Anyone with experience using a Surefire C2? Module? Battery configuration?