P60 Drop-Ins: The Wave of the Future?

sysadmn

Enlightened
Between keyboard and chair, in the US Midwest.
Cheap:
Ultrafire WF-502B and Kaidomain 1 Mode P4 (probably choose a 5 mode today) - $25

Better:
Wolf-Eyes 9AT and Malkoff M60
BOG Premium or WE Q2, running 2x18500 (got a Kai SSC incoming, M60 next on the wishlist...)

Even Better:
Wolf-Eyes 9DX, 2x18500, or even better WE M90 + ext. + 2x18650, WE D36 Q2

Money is no object:
Leef's 2x18650, Surefire bezel and tailcap, M60, AW's 18650s, Pila Charger. Probably $200 counting shipping.

Preben

Newly Enlightened
Since this is the LED forum, I thought I'd point out that while Wolf Eyes' LED modules fit in most P60 hosts (with the additional outer spring), the opposite isn't true. For example, you can't put a Dereelight LED module in the 6A. It'll fit the SFs (6P, C2 and so on) just fine though.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,
I have seen this thread show up in the latest threads but this is my first visit. My 2 cents:

I think drop in LED modules definitely make sense for all of the modular justifications. My one concern with the 6P platform is optimal thermal relief in the path from module to host. This concern becomes less and less as the LED's and converters become more efficient.

One thing I am not up to speed on is the availability of a LED module from SF themselves?!? Is this not yet available as an accessory? I guess not. :thinking: :shrug:

USM0083

Enlightened
Has anyone tried a drop-in in a Surefire G2Z Nitrolon? What brands work in this light?

I have a Wolf Eyes 3.6-6V Cree dropin in my G2Z. Bought it back in March. I found that without the outer spring electrical contact was intermittent, but with it the bezel would not screw down all the way. The same goes for a Lighthound Cree dropin that went into a G2. What I did for the G2Z was to used the bezel from an old 6Z. Since this is a work light sitting in a V70 holster, it works out better since the nitrolon bezel "sticks" coming out of the V70.

LiteFan

Enlightened
I have a Wolf Eyes 3.6-6V Cree dropin in my G2Z. Bought it back in March. I found that without the outer spring electrical contact was intermittent, but with it the bezel would not screw down all the way. The same goes for a Lighthound Cree dropin that went into a G2. What I did for the G2Z was to used the bezel from an old 6Z. Since this is a work light sitting in a V70 holster, it works out better since the nitrolon bezel "sticks" coming out of the V70.
I'm using the same (first version before the high output options) Wolf Eyes in my G2, I had to attach a p60 spring to the WE base but it works fine.