Paypal "Gift" = No buyer protection? Ethical? OK for CPFM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grumpy

Enlightened
You might as well toss a coin in the air and call heads or tails as depend on Paypal buyer protection.

I had a perfect ebay feedback rating until someone I purchased from never sent the item. After many attempts to communicate with them I filed for papal buyer protection and was denied because the person went ahead and mailed me the wrong item but gave paypal the tracking number showing "something" was delivered to my address. Paypal decided in their favor even though they had several negative feedback showing that others had been done the same way as me and I had perfect feedback of over 300 transactions.

To sum it up "Don't depend on Paypal buyer protection"

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
jzmtl, I think the point is that you are violating a contract that you freely entered into. Contracts are legally binding, and it is a civil matter if PayPal wants to go after people who are violating their terms. My phone call with them indicated that they cancel accounts when they have verification that a seller is violating their agreement contract. I understand your point that there are more important things to worry about...but it did come as a shock to me when reading your earlier post that +CC is not allowed, given how widespread it is.

I'm not disputing that, I think we all agree it is a violation of their rules. The whole thing started when somebody claimed it's illegal, which irks me for reason London Lad said.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I had a perfect ebay feedback rating until someone I purchased from never sent the item.

Whenever buying on ebay, check their rating, but also check how long they've been a member and how many sales the rating is based on.

Whenever selling on ebay, configure your account to disallow buyers who have new accounts, non payment reports, and subpar ratings.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Having never studied the rules closely for PP use, and not being a big buyer on ebay, or here, I never thought twice about those sellers that used two paypal accounts, one for cash and the other credit, and asked for 4% additional for credit sales. Wanting to have a broader buyer base, I bought on to the Premium PP account, and was never ever able to price my products high enough to make up the difference in the 4% or so that I was charged for each and every transaction, cash or credit, because I had to base my products prices (lights and flashlight parts, etc) on what the market would bear for such items, and never on that 4% fee. Now, of course, after reading this thread, I see the errors of my thinking. :naughty:

Bill

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I'm not disputing that, I think we all agree it is a violation of their rules. The whole thing started when somebody claimed it's illegal, which irks me for reason London Lad said.

Cool. I understand that point, and believe we have that flat now. Thanks.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should probably add a small but important point about PP fees. While I personally think they are high, I have taken a serious look around for lower cost ways to do similar things - and I really didn't find one.

I looked at amazon pay, google pay, and a variety of CC processing firms. Amazon and Google pay have nearly identical costs to PP, and the CC companies make a lot of sense IF you are at least at $ 20 K every month - otherwise, the others make more sense.

It is certainly a very profitable business model - amazingly so. What is amazing is that more firms have not figured out how to play in this market.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find it interesting that some people who have previously expressed an 'out of my dead hands' ideology in response to interference in what they perceived as private matter, have in this thread expressed a viewpoint that I read as more corporatist, seemingly against the individual who would take matters into her/his own hands to recompense they may.

For me, when 'Gift' is selected the confirmation screen has a check-box which defaults to "I will pay the fee" with the total listed beside, presumably un-checking the box has Paypal's usury charge come off the other end.

Annecdotes: The creater of Paypal and I share an alma matter. His wife was my partner's best friend.
He also selected the lithium 18650 for his electric car

vb14

Newly Enlightened
I emailed paypal asking whether or not this practice is against their policy or not. I was kinda expecting a YES or NO answer, but this is what i got. :shakehead

I guess it means it's not against their policy.

Thanks for writing to us. I appreciate the opportunity to assist you
with your questions.

PayPal offers Seller Protection for qualified eBay transactions on
claims, chargebacks, or reversals based on:
* Unauthorized Payments
* Items Not Received
Seller protection does not provide protection for:
* Significantly Not as Described (SNAD) claims, chargebacks, or
reversals.
* Items that you deliver in person.
Seller protection is available for transactions with buyers everywhere
PayPal is accepted.
Protection Coverage:
* There is no annual limit on protection.
* PayPal will provide protection for the full amount of the eligible
claim, chargeback, or reversal and waive the Chargeback Fee, if
applicable.
Eligibility Requirements:
* Ship the item to the shipping address on the "Transaction Details"
page.
* Follow the shipping requirements listed in the User Agreement.
* Respond to PayPal's requests for documentation and other
information in a timely manner.
* The transaction must be marked eligible or partially eligible for
seller protection on the "Transaction Details" page.
For the Terms and Conditions of Seller Protection, click the "Legal
Agreement" link at the bottom of any PayPal webpage and click "User
Agreement".

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Looks like an email version of those automated phone banks that keep saying "so I heard you say..."

wykeite

Newly Enlightened
As Paypal only make rules not laws, how many requesting "gift" payments would be prepared to reciprocate with a "gift" shipment? I mean of course internationally.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
:bumpit:
for an interesting thread.

I just came across the following post from here:
PayPal has requested we stop accepting personal/cash payments through their system.
I personally don't have an opinion on this either way, but I was wondering if PayPal has modified their policy, had this possibility been discussed a while ago here?

Any thoughts?
K

Edit: OK, I guess their official policy might be unchanged, but I wonder if they are now changing how they implement it?

Last edited:

vb14

Newly Enlightened
Using "paypal gift" as payment to a sales transaction is against paypal policy. Problem is who's going to implement it?

Status
Not open for further replies.