• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

'PD' 2xCR123 Pack - where can I get one?

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I looked through the McGizmo Product Overview thread maintained by Kiessling to see if such a thing existed prior to me creating this thread, that I way I'd protect myself from the embarrassment of not doing my homework first. :thumbsup: I'm well aware of the Titanium E-Series 2xCR123 Pack but I'd like one to use with my LunaSol 27 head. I realize that 2xCR123's obviously are too much voltage but I'm thinking more like 1x17670 if it would fit in the piston. I have a couple AW protected cells that measure just at 16mm O.D.

Reason for this request is that the 27mm head wants to slip out of my hand when applying pressure to the piston. I just think that a longer body style would be more ideally suited to the LS27. Anyone else agree?

Elmie

Enlightened
I wanted one myself as well for the L27. There is no more being made and AFAIK none are planned either. I have yet to see one pop up on BST :(

fyrstormer

Banned
Not likely to be much of anything made for PD lights in the future; Don's decided to go with a 3-level driver operated by a clicky switch instead, because so many other lights offer 3 or more levels now that he feels 2 levels is behind the times.

Personally I'd be in for a PD Mule and a hollow PD body to transplant my Arc6 into...but as you pointed out, they don't show up often on the exchange and they're gone in hours.

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
For 2x123 bodies, there's the body from a XR-19C which looks like a PD style body but uses a Mcclickie. Then there's the body from a S27-Cx2 which looks like the style body you linked but also uses a Mclickie. I forget if the XR-19C body fit a 17670 but the S27-Cx2 body does not.

The only 2x123 length PD body with a piston that I know of is one that was made by TB but that was a $1K light & he stated that he does not make them on request.

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only 2x123 length PD body with a piston that I know of is one that was made by TB but that was a $1K light & he stated that he does not make them on request.
:faint:
Hmm, I suppose it's good to know that a substitute exists at least but I (like many others I'd imagine) am not fond of lego'ing Al/Ti together. Thanks for the link though.

Looks like this is a lost cause fellas. :eek: I would be interested in one if a run was ever contemplated.

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reason for this request is that the 27mm head wants to slip out of my hand when applying pressure to the piston. I just think that a longer body style would be more ideally suited to the LS27. Anyone else agree?

+1 :twothumbs

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Will, the C-Pack from the XR19-C is a 1x123 body.

There never was a 2x123 PD body released, and except for the Li-Ion guys, Don didn't release a head that would work with 2x123 to date (except for an S27 head on the 2x123 C-Pack like already mentioned).

bernie

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Will, the C-Pack from the XR19-C is a 1x123 body.

There never was a 2x123 PD body released, and except for the Li-Ion guys, Don didn't release a head that would work with 2x123 to date (except for an S27 head on the 2x123 C-Pack like already mentioned).

bernie

Bernie, come to think of it you're right. :stupid:
It's obvious I don't own one. I was looking at pics of ones that I modded (I have pics of almost everything I've modded) & not sure why I thought that. Probably cause it looked longer in the pics than the standard PD that I'm used to. The last Ti McGizmo I worked on was a S27 Cx2 & it had a DBx2 converter. As you said, it's the only Ti McGizmo I've seen that works with 2x123 & didn't have a GDx2 or BBM/GD/NGBB. It also measured the same output with 1 li-ion as well. Thanks for setting me straight. :wave:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I think I built a couple LunaSol 27 (BBM & SOB917) heads that I put on the 2x123C pak. One for certain because it's still hanging by my back door. :shrug:

fyrstormer

Banned
Your house must be like the titanium flashlight version of the Playboy mansion -- sexy little things just laying about wherever you happened to lose interest in them, waiting for the next time they get lucky enough to catch your eye again...

...the diving's just a ruse, isn't it? You were just looking for an excuse to wear a bathrobe all the time. :devil:

jag808808

Enlightened
I USED to have the same problem! Every time I would depress the piston, it would slip out of my hand. A longer body style was definitely needed! Hence the 2AA body with clicky!

CIMG0985Medium.jpg

CIMG0986Medium.jpg

CIMG0991Medium.jpg

CIMG1001Medium.jpg

Feels fantastic and grippy in hand. EDC work light! If you don't use it, you defeat the purpose of a great illumination tool. My hand fits perfectly on the knurling. No worries of it slipping from my grip from either end.

You my friend are fantastic:thumbsup::twothumbs! Mahalo for making me an incredible body!:D:nana::naughty::crackup::bow:;)

Don's body was a little short for me... :poke: Mahalo Don for a fantastic workhorse. You would be proud to know, this light has NEVER seen the inside of a safe or sat on a shelf!

+1 :twothumbs

Aloha,

jag

Last edited:

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not likely to be much of anything made for PD lights in the future; Don's decided to go with a 3-level driver operated by a clicky switch instead, because so many other lights offer 3 or more levels now that he feels 2 levels is behind the times.

:ohgeez:

I think this is a profound mistake. The PD is the pinnacle of KISS design and keeping up with "the times" or more correctly stated, "the trends" was never what brought success to the PD platform. I know personally, if the goal is to produce a 3 stage light in a format I will find compelling, a double Kilroy would be much more interesting to me than yet another keep-clicking-until-you-get-the-level-you-want type of interface, which I doubt I will ever prefer to the "obsolete" PD. Fortunately I already have 5 PDs and there is no way I am parting with any of them, so I'm solid if that's it for the party.

But I really do think that, if true, this represents a HUGE loss for the flashlight world.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Some of the comments and opinions here may be based on a falsh assumption of reliable sources of readily available electronics, let alone new designs of converters. :shrug:

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of the comments and opinions here may be based on a falsh assumption of reliable sources of readily available electronics, let alone new designs of converters. :shrug:

Well, I certainly hope that the supplier problem works itself out. Whatever the cause is, it WOULD be a terrible loss to the flashlight world if the PD were to fall by the wayside. :mecry:

scout24

Flashaholic
I, personally, am drooling over that 2xAA body... Might we have a bit more information about it please???

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast

Incidentally, if the only reason for foregoing the PD platform is a lack of available electronics, the part of the statement above in red (which is really what I was responding to) wouldn't actually be true, would it?

There must be some kind of electronics/circuit board version of CPF out there on the internet somewhere. (Talk about nerds!!) Surely someone out there would find it viable to produce the boards in the small numbers needed, if even just for free flashlights. Seems like it's just a matter of getting two niche supply/demand parties together. I know, I know, easier said than done....