Pelican 7060 LAPD: Preview

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I returned home from work this afternoon I was looking through the April 2007 issue of Police magazine and I noticed the Pelican advertisement on pages 61 and 63. Page 61 shows the back of a person in a shadow. Below it is the caption:

A. Evidence Disposal

B. Waving Jogger

C. Litter Bug

Page 63 shows the person lit up pretty well. The caption below it has:

"The New 7060 LED" (a photo of the light) and "You'll see."

It actually is kind of a creative ad.

Jim N0JS

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hopefully this hasn't been discussed yet. As I was looking for the Pelican website, I was trying to determine if any of the rechargeable Pelicanlights use a common charger unit. It looks like the 7060 uses a 7070 Desk/Dash Charger Base Unit. I suspect that the charger unit for the 7060 is designed for a lithium-ion battery. Are there any other Pelican lights using a rechargeable lithium-ion battery? Are any of the other rechargeable Pelican lights, presumably Nicad, using a common charger unit, or is each charger unit unique to each light?

Flashlight Enthusiast
tempting indeed, got to check wallet first

Daekar

Enlightened
So what are the chances of seeing an output vs runtime chart for this puppy? I have a police officer and a marine who are both in need of a good light. I would just go ahead and buy them the Lumapower MRV but it's got that daggone shiny piece which just won't do for a duty light. This seems the best alternative, but I'd like to see if the discharge curve is reasonable.

Also... that batterystation link... are they selling the official charger that comes with the light? Because it says "wall charger" - a wall charger is what I'd want for these guys, but I would've expected a 12v for the PD cruiser...

You know it's funny, I was definitely (in my head) one of the naysayers when I heard about this light being developed... you know, the typical feeling about government projects: "Oh Good Lord, they've gone and spent a lot of money developing a 'special' light when there are plenty of good ones out there... and doubtless it will be expensive, overengineered and impossible to use with features and specs that get in the way or disappoint"... but if the beamshots here are any indicator the production light's capabilities, then I must say that I was out of line and mistaken. Hopefully time and experience won't lead me to rescind that admission! :popcorn:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Daekar,

I think a runtime evaluation is a good idea but I also feel it should be made on a production sample and not a beta unit. To the best of my knowledge, the driver is a buck/boost converter so output should be relatively constant with some initial drop as the LED heats up. As to the length of run time, that will depend on drive current level, efficiency of driver, capacity of battery and level of discharge when the system shuts down and of course the Vf of the particular LED. I also assume that the runtime will be effected by the ambient temp as well as battery temp during the runtime.

Any test should be qualified with a YMMV stipulation me thinks.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Daekar said:
You know it's funny, I was definitely (in my head) one of the naysayers when I heard about this light being developed... you know, the typical feeling about government projects: "Oh Good Lord, they've gone and spent a lot of money developing a 'special' light when there are plenty of good ones out there... and doubtless it will be expensive, overengineered and impossible to use with features and specs that get in the way or disappoint"... but if the beamshots here are any indicator the production light's capabilities, then I must say that I was out of line and mistaken. Hopefully time and experience won't lead me to rescind that admission! :popcorn:
When I first saw this announced I initially criticized it for being too expensive, too big, and probably last years technology. Now that I know its Cree based and only $99 on pre-order, I went ahead and ordered one. The size looks good for putting under your arm during field use, but how well it carries on a duty belt has yet to be determined.

cop23

Newly Enlightened
anybody are aware of tailcap switch problems ? Great light very powerfull, I received my 2 7060 yesterday but one of her Ill have to return it to Edmonton as the tailcap switch ended working and the front switch is only a push-on now and doesnt click to stay on.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pelican 7060 LAPD

From that post:

"Cop23, I am glad you like your light. I had a glitch with my front switch that was taken care of when I untwisted the tailcap and took out the battery and took off the front end (heat sink area) then put everything back together again. If that does not instantly solve the problem, I would ask whoever you bought it from to send you out a replacement. Mine has worked great since my initial glitch. Hope yours does too."

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/171498&page=2

heztai

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I have a question....it says this light has momentary...what does that mean? Is it like strobe or something similar? Thanks!

maxilux

Enlightened
Hi, I have a question....it says this light has momentary...what does that mean? Is it like strobe or something similar? Thanks!

No, it means, that it has a "klicky" switch with momentary function, finger on the switch = light on, finger from the switch = light off.

heztai

Newly Enlightened
I just got my light...not as good as I thought...there isnt much spill...and not as bright as expected...

maybe I am just picky :confused: