Photos Of Mac's EDC Lights

smarkum

Enlightened
Home of the Jayhawks - Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!
Wow Shado! NICE.
trying out some different settings on camera. . .

3fce6ba7.jpg

rda1

Newly Enlightened
Stupid industrial revolution.

The irony of this comment. Without the industrial revolution, we could all be sitting around comparing candles and debating which fat/oil makes the best wax.

Besides, copper doesn't tarnish all that fast and can quickly and easily be refinished.

fyrstormer

Banned
The irony of this comment. Without the industrial revolution, we could all be sitting around comparing candles and debating which fat/oil makes the best wax.

Besides, copper doesn't tarnish all that fast and can quickly and easily be refinished.
Congratulations, you discovered the humor hidden in my comment. *hands rda1 a cookie* :devil:

Tarnishing at all is tarnishing too fast. I love the way bright copper looks, but I hate having to polish it. That's why I went with the artificially-enhanced patina on the one copper piece I own, because then at least I wouldn't have to deal with a finish that keeps changing when I touch the light. I like my tools to look as functional and inorganic as they actually are. YMMV.

Last edited:

rda1

Newly Enlightened
Ultimately I opted to use chemical brass blackener to turn it black, and then scuffed off some of the black coating with a Scotch-Brite pad, because I wanted a finish that would be more consistent and require less maintenance over the course of years.

I am curious, how is that working out for you? Has the finish and the look of the copper heat sink remained stable? It looks pretty nice in the pictures, it would be interesting to see that treatment to one of Mac's Copper EDC lights.

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
I am curious, how is that working out for you? Has the finish and the look of the copper heat sink remained stable? It looks pretty nice in the pictures, it would be interesting to see that treatment to one of Mac's Copper EDC lights.
It's on a piece that doesn't get much handling, since the exposed area is forward of the hand-grip, but other than some slight browning of the exposed copper I see no change in the finish. I had to use a green Scotch-Brite pad to remove the blackening to get the two-tone finish visible in the pictures, and the scrubbed area was a bit shinier at first than it is now, but other than that there's been no change.

I don't think the patina would remain unaffected indefinitely with the scuffing from sliding the light into a pocket after each use, but it's a good way to get the initial patina set-up, so you don't have to put effort into "helping" a completely natural patina form evenly across the surface.

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beautiful pictures in this thread, love the "fire and Ice" pics eala!

rda1

Newly Enlightened
It's on a piece that doesn't get much handling, since the exposed area is forward of the hand-grip, but other than some slight browning of the exposed copper I see no change in the finish. I had to use a green Scotch-Brite pad to remove the blackening to get the two-tone finish visible in the pictures, and the scrubbed area was a bit shinier at first than it is now, but other than that there's been no change.

I don't think the patina would remain unaffected indefinitely with the scuffing from sliding the light into a pocket after each use, but it's a good way to get the initial patina set-up, so you don't have to put effort into "helping" a completely natural patina form evenly across the surface.

Very good, it certainly looks nice, like a brushed antiquing treatment. I like it.

grayhighh

Enlightened
Okey, a shot for my friend, Tim, as he requested.

DSC_3423.jpg

Sorry for the white balance. Looks like i didn't set it to the right k. Please bear with it.

Last edited: