Please help with quiestion on Nitecore

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Re: Overheating?

I don't have a D10 but find that 20ish lumens is enough for most night walks so maybe not using the high would help.

recDNA

Flashaholic

i am one of the least educated here i am sure, but has anyone tried an aluminum canister with pressurized ammonium or nitrogen or something? Seems like that might be an albeit expensive but good way to keep the LED cool?

The cold might be a little tough on the batteries.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just took my nightcore d10 out on a walk with me and it gets hot very quickly. It takes only 2 mins before it feels like its going to melt. Whats the problem can anyone advise and what should I do

use 14500 batteries, my d10 runs hot really fast on common aa.

1anrm

Enlightened

When it heats up where do you find the heat to start from? The head or the body of the light? if it's from the body your battery may have high internal resistance. What battery are you using anyway and how old is it?

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree. Do you really need to see what is 100 meters ahead of you all the time? lol
IMO, a flashlight's max setting shouldn't be a flashlight's "default" setting. If you think you'd need D10's max setting all the time, maybe its time to get a bigger flashlight which can produce D10's max at its 50%.
I don't have a D10 but find that 20ish lumens is enough for most night walks so maybe not using the high would help.

Last edited:

neoseikan

Enlightened

I don't have the D10, but I have an idea.
Does the output current get higher?
Maybe caused by the defection of a minor resistor.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast

My D10 GDP doesn't get overly hot whilst on high - I've run it on max for over 1/2 an hour and whilst warm, it never gets hot (not like a 6P incan for instance).

James....:)

Ajay

Enlightened

I just took my nightcore d10 out on a walk with me and it gets hot very quickly. It takes only 2 mins before it feels like its going to melt. Whats the problem can anyone advise and what should I do

I have a D10 Q5 and in the summer or when the temperatures are above 80 degrees the light can get hot within 2minutes on max brightness. It all depends on the ambient temperature. If it's a really hot day and you run 14500 cells it can get dangerously hot. I never have heating issues unless it's summer. Just drop the brightness a tad and you won't notice the difference but the light will run cooler and longer.

What was the temps of your surroundings when you took your walk?

Scorpiolyons

Newly Enlightened

Use it in cold winter! That'll be great!

neoseikan

Enlightened
Re: Brightness level

Hi. Carl. Did the brightness get lower and lower after 30mins?
Or just shutdown after 30mins?
They are different problems.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast

if with NiMH batteries, the LD20 should be regulated pretty well.
But then NiMH should be on D10s as well.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast

did you charge them before putting them in?

Pre-charged out-of-the-box rechargeables ain't 'truly' charged.

see if that helps. lol

EXCALIBUR1

Newly Enlightened

Could be you have a bad D10. The first one I had started to drain my Eneloop overnight when the light was turned off. I sent it back to 4 sevens.com and they sent me a new one. Everything's been fine since.

carl8190

Banned

I put a brand new eneloop in last nyt and ran it on high and it started to loose brightness at 20 mins and was dead at 30-35mins does that mean my d10 is bad
I even tried the test again with annother brand new eneloop and it did the same

Vbeez

Enlightened

Happened to my D10. Gets hot within minutes, then start flickering then die. Sent to Nitecore weeks ago for fixing, arrived back few days ago with the same problem. Then they say they are going to send a new replacement.
Check current draw on high...mine over 2 amps on 1.2 volt, after I sent it to Nitecore fixed it.

lolzertank

Enlightened

Don't use a brand new Eneloop. NiMH cells need a few cycles to get maximum capacity. They're also only charged to 75% or so at the factory and will probably be a bit lower when you get them. The D10 might not be rated with Eneloops either. IIRC, Fenix rates their runtimes with 2500mAh AAs. Not sure what Nitecore does, but it could be rated with 2700+ mAh cells. If you're using Eneloops straight out of the package, that would explain the runtime difference.