Pointers to BBQ info? :)

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently received a Char-Broil brand grill/BBQ/smoker, the kind that has an offset firebox on one side and smokestack on the other. Apparently I can grill via direct heat, BBQ via indirect heat with the offest 'box and smoke meats doing the same but with less heat. And that's the full extent of my knowledge. :)

Can anyone recomment a decent book or website that will help me figure out how to get the most out of this little beast?

Jon

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to subscribe to the Smoke 'n Fire Enquirer. It's a good monthly newsletter for Q heads.

Try The BBQ Forum for everything you wanted to know about smokers. Click on the big round logo at the top of the page to enter the forum.

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
My grill/smoker came assembled (the wife bought it for me, the retailer assembled it) so I'm only now learning it's a "Silver Smoker". That's a start... :)

I'm going to try some quartered chicken this weekend - nothing fancy just want the smoke it and maybe do pulled BBQ chicken sandwiches. I've seasoned it once, maybe I need to do it again?

roknrandy, nice site where did you get those grates?

Last edited:

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I take that back, I do not have a Silver Smoker, I have the smaller American Gourmet smoker. Oh well, it looks like I'll be tending to that firebox quite a bit unless I can figure out a compact version of that minion setup.

Jon

roknrandy

Newly Enlightened
roknrandy, nice site where did you get those grates?

Scrap stainless mesh from where I used to work. It would be easier to get some mesh from homedepot or lowes probably. I've got several more things to update in the next week or two so stop back and see what's changed