Prius Plus

ledlurker

Enlightened
Here too, in the winter time I only use 20KwH a day. In August I am up to 85 KwHs a day ( it used to be 100 but digital A/C controllers have saved that much) and I do not even have a pool I would hate to see that electric bill.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
BB said:
Summer 2.3 kW system gives 490 kWh for July
Winter 2.3 kW system generates 195 kWh for December

[/ QUOTE ]
Any idea what comparable figures would be for NYC? BTW, we would need way more than 2.3kW installed based on our usage. In the summer I think we average 1500 kWh per month, and maybe about 1000 kWh in the winter. Of course, this is with three people who are home almost all the time. My parents are retired and I work at home. If we ever go this route, we'll cover the entire roof and garage roof with PV cells, and maybe try to make some money selling the surplus back to the power company (if indeed they do buy it back around here). I'll probably also want to have enough battery backup to carry us through a few days with no power.

As an aside, has anyone ever consider how much money you could make if you have a utility which buys back electricity? Imagine a typical suburban home sitting on half an acre. If even half of the land was devoted to PV cells instead of grass, a person could probably make their living selling energy (and do the environment a favor at the same time). As a bonus you also save all the energy which would otherwise be used commuting to work.

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
jtr1962 said:
BTW, we would need way more than 2.3kW installed based on our usage. In the summer I think we average 1500 kWh per month, and maybe about 1000 kWh in the winter. Of course, this is with three people who are home almost all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yikes. Temps here range from 20 - 110 degrees. Two people are home all day, every day in our two-story 2250 Sq-ft house. It really depends on how much attention you pay to your usage. Over an entire year, our average is about 600kWh/month - and that INCLUDES the fuel for our main vehicle. Before we had an EV, we were at about 300kWh/month for the house alone. And of course this is gross consumption, and does not take into account our meter spinning backwards with our solar power feeding into the grid.

[ QUOTE ]
As an aside, has anyone ever consider how much money you could make if you have a utility which buys back electricity?

[/ QUOTE ]
I know of no net-metering program that will actually pay you money for excess power. In my case, I have made more money's worth of power than I've consumed, and I just give that up at the end of the year and start again at zero. Last year, I left $90 of power on the table after my yearly trueup.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Darell said:
Yikes. Temps here range from 20 - 110 degrees. Two people are home all day, every day in our two-story 2250 Sq-ft house. It really depends on how much attention you pay to your usage. Over an entire year, our average is about 600kWh/month - and that INCLUDES the fuel for our main vehicle.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure at this point what we could do to reduce our consumption. All the lighting in the areas we use a lot is fluorescent, and has been for over twenty years. I went for fluoroscent back then not so much for the energy savings (which is a bonus), but for the whiter, more natural light. I just hate incandescent lighting with a purple passion, and always have. The last few years we changed over the kitchen and my bedroom from the older T-12 to the more efficient T-8s. We have CFLs in any table lamps. Overall, this represents a lot of saved energy. In my bedroom and the kitchen, for example, the main ceiling fixture only uses about 110 watts compared to the 600 or 700 an incandescent fixture putting out an equivalent amount of light would use. I'm not cutting down on the brightness level. It's unhealthy and stressful to live in an environment that's lit like a cave. One 15W CFL doesn't cut it, plus 4-foot linear tubes are half again more efficient than CFLs, and CFLs are much harder to obtain in the 5000K color temperatures I favor. If/when LEDs reach the promised 200 lm/W I'll gladly replace my current fixtures and cut my consumption by half, but I'm not cutting the lighting level to save energy. One problem with fluorescent lighting is that constant starts reduce tube life, so if I'm in and out of a room I simply leave the light on even though I know it's wasting energy. LEDs will eliminate this problem also.

Other uses here are for TVs, the refrigerator, the pumps for our hot water heating system, my PC, air conditioning in the summer, etc. With the exception of the refrigerator, most of these appliances are fairly new. We could probably save about 50 or so kWh by replacing the refrigerator, but we basically use things until they stop working so that's not going to happen until it breaks. My PC is on 24/7 simply because I use it intermittantly all day and all night long. Turning it on and off several times a day would be too stressful on the hard drives. There generally isn't a span where I'm not using it for long enough that it makes sense to turn it off. If I'm out for the day, I do turn it off. I turn off the monitor whenever I'm not using the machine. When we develop solid state storage I will no longer need to worry about power cycling the hard drives, and can turn the machine off when I'm not using it, but that's probably a good decade away.

Anyway, one of my main reasons for wanting to go solar is so that I no longer need to worry about energy consumption. This doesn't mean I'll intentionally waste energy, but if I decide that I want 500 watts of fluorescent lights in a room, or want to keep it at 55°F in the summer, I don't need to worry that it's costing me money or polluting the environment. Basically, that's why I'll probably go with a PV array that gives me two or three times my average monthly usage. In time if Detroit sees fit to make EVs, the surplus capacity will come in handy for home refueling if my parents decide to buy one (I personally don't plan or need to own a car, EV or otherwise, ever). Even if we don't buy EVs, at least I won't have a guilt trip if I decide to light a room up like midday on the planet Mercury.

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
jtr1962 said:
(I personally don't plan or need to own a car, EV or otherwise, ever).

[/ QUOTE ]
Of all the stuff mentioned here, this is what excites me the most. If more people would avoid driving alltogether, then we'd really have something. Good on you.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
JTR,

Here is a link that I used in my "How to sell solar power/EV" thread.

It seemed to track pretty closely to other sources when I used it last year to look at costs and such.

Clean Power Estimator for California

Googled, and found one for New York (same software?, different cities?):

Clean Power Estimator for New York State

By the way, I had to use IE to make them work (Firefox did not--but I did not take much time for figure out why).

JTR, for NYC, assuming 1,500 kWh/month (18,000 kWh/year) facing south, with a pitched roof, I believe that you will need a 14.5 kWh system to generate 18,111 kWh per year.

The default estimated price is $9,000 per kWh installed (pretty close to the bid I received) would give you a raw cost of $130,500 before rebates, $90,500 after rebates.

I guess, that this is, roughly an (84 to) 87 solar panel system using BP 4175 (currently BP's best performance panel?) at 62.8"x31.1" (14.2 sq ft) and 166 watt minimum power (175 W max power). You will need approximately 1,235 sq ft of roof space for these panels.

Your numbers will vary--but I think that this will give you a good starting point. I think my numbers are within 5%--but they could be out by 10-20%. Also, these numbers were based on a south facing roof at an optimum pitch of 8/12 (colonial style 2 story house). Anything different will reduce your power output.

Please let me know what you numbers you end up with (I don't know your power rates--so I could not really look at payback). If I did the numbers correctly, you are looking at $0.17 per kWh assuming a 30 year life and no maintenance costs (18,000 kWh per year, $90,500 installed system costs after rebates).

-"I am not a solar estimator" Bill

PS: If you are running a business out of your home, you may qualify for a 10-15% Federal tax rebate (based on % of solar power needed to run business???) and a 5 year depreciation schedule.

Also, there are "Green Tag Revenues"—which may include things like Star Bucks paying you $0.20 per installed kW system capacity per year. -BB

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is one reason that I am of mixed feelings about a pure grid tied PV system. It is the fact that I am not using some "clean" storage medium like a battery (or even pumped hydro or some other greenish system).

My storage system is the plain old Coal, Natural Gas, Nuclear, etc. power infrastructure. So, even though I am "netting out" to zero dollars in power (and maybe zero kWhrs), I am still consuming coal and such.

It is true that I may not be using power at the peak of the day. And while the sun is shining, I have displaced the Coal/NG/Nuke monster for those few hours—The grid tied PV system still seems like a cheat.

This cheat does work OK, until the grid gets 100% solar generated power at noon. Past that, we really don't have any massive clean storage system available at this time. Also, in real life, I believe that utilities like PG&E have limited systems to something like residential solar to only 5% of the total load—then the program will freeze any new connects.

Oh well, I will stop typing now. This is really not for the Prius thread… Should be in some other place like the How to Sell Electric Vehicle/Solar Power Thread.

-Bill

Bright Scouter

Enlightened
Well, I am glad this thread generated so much interest!

I think the Prius still makes a lot of sense for me. I am traveling about 60 miles one way to work now on mostly country highways. 65 mph with a lot of stop and go. Upgrading to a Prius Plus would be nice, but I can't get that distance totally electric, so I would be using the gas some anyway. But if we ever sell our house, we plan to move so the drive goes down to about 15 miles. Then I think the plus modifications make a lot of sense.

Are there any other HEVs coming down the line soon that look promising? Of all of them that we have looked at, the Prius seems to be the best for us. At least it seems a good compromise of great mileage and usability. The other hybrids that just seem to be adding an electric motor and battery pack to an existing model don't seem to gain much in mileage. So the Prius looks the best by far to me right now.

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
BB said:
My storage system is the plain old Coal, Natural Gas, Nuclear, etc. power infrastructure.

[/ QUOTE ]
"Storage" really isn't the right word. You have no storage - the power you generate and don't use is used by your neighbor, and offsets the nasties. You just grab it back from your neighbor when you need it - so your neighbor is always dirty, and you're always clean - if that makes you sleep better at night. As long as you generate enough clean power to offset your total usage, you are not really adding ANY load to the "dirty grid."

[ QUOTE ]
The grid tied PV system still seems like a cheat.

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess we'll never agree on this. For me, if I offset just 10 minutes a year of burning coal, then I'm doing *something* good, yes? But hell, I'm generating enough to electricity to more than power my entire house needs OR more than enough to power my main vehicle. And moneywise, I generate enough credit to power them both! This is an important point - the power I make during peak time *is* worth more than the off-peak power, so I don't feel bad about being credited at a higher rate for that power. All the power I make is power that is NOT being generated by this terrible, dirty grid we have (and here in CA, coal is NOT the main way we generate power!) - and every year the grid has gotten cleaner (current news articles of the future of our grid notwithstanding).

[ QUOTE ]
Should be in some other place like the How to Sell Electric Vehicle/Solar Power Thread.
Yup - but these things are always entertwined. We should leave this for hybrids though, as you say.

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Bright Scouter said:
I think the Prius still makes a lot of sense for me. I am traveling about 60 miles one way to work now on mostly country highways.

[/ QUOTE ]
The Prius makes a lot of sense for many drivers, certainly. But ouch - 120 mile round-trip!? I hope you really like your job!

Change to a 15 mile commute, and youre in easy bicycle range! Save money by keeping your current car, but not driving it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Are there any other HEVs coming down the line soon that look promising?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not until we have the plug-in hybrids. And Toyota is probably the closest to that goal right now, though they don't publicly admit it. The current crop that's coming out are geared toward performance instead of efficiency.

Darell

Flashaholic
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050517/ap_on_bi_ge/toyota_hybrid

By BRUCE SCHREINER, Associated Press Writer

GEORGETOWN, Ky. -
Toyota Motor Corp. on Tuesday announced plans to begin producing a gasoline-electric hybrid version of its popular Camry model in late 2006 at its largest North American plant in Georgetown, Ky.

The Japanese automaker said it will have capacity to build about 48,000 of the environmentally friendly vehicles each year. It represents Toyota's first hybrid auto production in North America....

Bright Scouter

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Darell said:
[The Prius makes a lot of sense for many drivers, certainly. But ouch - 120 mile round-trip!? I hope you really like your job!

Change to a 15 mile commute, and youre in easy bicycle range! Save money by keeping your current car, but not driving it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I don't really like it. But, I was looking for 8 months before I found this one, so I took it. We plan to move as soon as we sell the house. But jobs, especially computer geek jobs are pretty scarce right now in Michigan.

I think the Prius will make more sense once the commute is shorter. And the current vehicle has to be replaced anyway. 160k miles and climbing fast due to the drive.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Darryl,

[ QUOTE ]
Toyota said specific details about the Camry hybrid will be released later

[/ QUOTE ]

Wish they would give some specs, like will it have a decent sized electric motor, or will they go the same route as Honda and put in a big ICE and wimp out on the electric so that the gains in milage will never overcome the increased purchase price /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
James S said:
Darryl,

[ QUOTE ]
Toyota said specific details about the Camry hybrid will be released later

[/ QUOTE ]

Wish they would give some specs, like will it have a decent sized electric motor, or will they go the same route as Honda and put in a big ICE and wimp out on the electric so that the gains in milage will never overcome the increased purchase price /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I certainly don't know any specs... but I do know that it will be based on the Prius powertrian, and not on the Honda. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Prius and Camry are pretty comparable in size/weight. It'd seem like the Prius powertrain would drop right into a Camry with little changes.

InFlux

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Lurker said:
My neighbor is in the market for a new SUV. I kind of half-jokingly suggested that he get a Prius instead. He replied that he heard the battery costs $10,000 to replace. ...
...I guess it will be a few years before we find out what the real cost to replace that battery pack is.

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife and I have the Honda Civic Hybrid. And we like it a lot.
The entire electric system- battery included- has a 10 yr warranty with no mileage limitations. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif