quark mini AA & CR123 users thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulr

Flashaholic
Anybody got a shot of a mini123 next to an old school Fenix P1 that they wouldn't mind posting? Thanks in advance!:twothumbs

I don't have a mini 123 yet but I have a P1CE which I measure at 68.5mm long when turned off, about 1.5mm when cranked down. The mini 123 (if the 2.3" claim is accurate) is almost 1cm shorter, pretty amazing. Thickness is about the same. In my subjective opinion the P1CE looks better. I don't understand why the mini 123 is narrower in the batt compartment part, and its knurling looks sort of crude. But it seems like an awesome light in other regards and I'm about to order at least one, I think.

riva

Newly Enlightened
What I care about most is the number of thread grooves mini AA & 123 have? The number of Fenix ld01 is six so it won't become two parts in pocket while shut off.

heathen

Newly Enlightened
I'll try to dig one up tomorrow but I think you'll find they are extremely close in overall size both length and diameter IIRC. The Mini however has excellent knurling so it's far easier to turn than the P1.
Thanks man! Yeah I'm actually looking to get a comparison with the original P1. I think as far as size, that the original P1 was perfect for the keychain. The P1D was just a little too large for use on a keychain. I'm hoping that the Mini compares favorably to the original P1.:p

passive101

Enlightened
For the Quark Mini's can you swap the body to switch from AA to 123A?

I'd like to have an ultra small 123A, but if necessary I could switch to a AA?

Last edited:

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the Quark Mini's can you swap the body to switch from AA to 123A?

I'd like to have an ultra small 123A, but if necessary I could switch to a AA?

You want to use a twisty light that starts on low on a gun? Might as well say, "shoot me" in a combat situation.

Last edited:

michaelmcgo

Enlightened
Here is a review I just posted of the Quark Mini123 and Preon. Lots of pics to oodle:

I got my Quark Mini 123 and Preon today after a long time of waiting out the preorders. They were both well worth the wait! 4Sevens is putting out some serious flashlights with the newest tech at unbelievable prices. I got the Quark AAx2 when it first came out (Cree XP-E emitter, but I don't really care it's plenty bright enough for me) and the Quark Mini and Preon just add to the quality and ingenuity that I noticed in the original Quark. I have carried my Quark AAx2 since I got it and really like the quality that this light was made with. It is obviously very similar to the Fenix line of AAx2 lights, but many improvements have been made to the Quark that I've always felt lacking in the Fenix line.

All 4Sevens lights now come with Cree's newest XP-G emitter. This is there most efficient LED, which allows the maximum brightness for the power used. All 4Sevens flashlights have square cut threads, glass lenses, and Type III Anodizing to name a few perks. The two lights I'm reviewing today both work on a 3 brightness UI. On the Preon you click to cycle through the leves, on the Mini you twist and untwist to cycle. A big selling point of the 4Sevens line for me is the simplicity of all of the UI menus. It's clicks and twists and that's it. The useless modes like SOS and Beacon are very buried on all 4Sevens lights, so if you don't want to use them, you will never see them. If you do want to use them, there's a little more clicking than usual, but they're all there.

Quark Mini 123:
The Quark Mini 123 in unbelievably small! I knew it was going to be small, but it is ridiculous how tiny this thing is. The modes are perfectly spaced and I thought I wouldn't like the UI (3 preset modes without memory), but I guess it just takes the right brightness levels to appreciate a simple UI. I am still up in the air as to weather the high is too high . This thing is extremely bright on high and would be perfect in a defensive situation, but the three twists kind of eliminates that option for many situations. The high level may have been better suited a little lower (for a longer runtime), but I'd most likely be complaining about not having a brighter high if that were the case. I think I will grow to like how bright the high it is only because the medium level is perfectly adjusted for working at night at close range. There are definitely times when I can use a light that is so bright it requires a warning.

Preon
The Preon is very nice to hold and fits well in the front left pocket (knife is in the front right and bigger light in the back right next to the wallet). I have never owned a 2xaaa light before because I always thought it was stupid to have a light that was only a little smaller than a 2xAA. The Preon gives up very little in brightness and runtime for the real life benefit of a much smaller full size light. This thing hides in the pocket, yet it is easy to hold and shines much brighter than any 2xAA I had last year. The brightness levels are also great on this guy and the high is incredibly bright for a 2xAAA light. The button is fantastic (aluminum model) and it is very easy to get to high right away (click press, soft press, soft press). I am very glad that 4Sevens went with an all metal button instead of a rubber boot, it gives this light a very unique character. The anodizing on this light is very well done and exudes quality. It has a texture you can't exactly feel but you can sense, almost like it's rubber coated. I do not think I have ever seen a piece of aluminum with better anodizing than my Preon. The price is amazingly low for 2 bodies, 2 clips, and the option of clicky or twisty.

If you are in the market for a new light with a cutting edge emitter, Quark has it in any battery type now. I have an Ra Twisty in the mail and these two lights have taken away a lot of the anticipation that the Ra Twisty had created.

DSC02935.jpg

DSC02939.jpg

DSC02941.jpg

DSC02944.jpg

DSC02946.jpg

DSC02949.jpg

DSC02950.jpg

DSC02951.jpg

DSC02953.jpg

DSC02957.jpg

DSC02959.jpg

DSC02960.jpg

A few simple beam shots. These were taken on the same settings on my camera, but it still adjust to the light and they all look the same brightness. This mostly shows that the two lights are somewhat similar in brightness and beam pattern. The Quark Mini123 is on the left and the Preon is on the right.

Both lights on High:
High.jpg

Both lights on Medium:
Medium.jpg

Both lights on Low:
Low.jpg

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks man! Yeah I'm actually looking to get a comparison with the original P1. I think as far as size, that the original P1 was perfect for the keychain. The P1D was just a little too large for use on a keychain. I'm hoping that the Mini compares favorably to the original P1.:p

Here you go:

I didn't have a battery in the P1 and it was twisted all the way closed in this first pic whereas the Quark was about 1 full twist loosened:

qmini1c.jpg

This pic I still have a battery in the Quark but tightened it down close to turning on:

qmini3c.jpg

It may be hard to tell here but the Quark is a little bit smaller in diameter:

qmini5c.jpg

The light on the left is the one that took the last beamshot where the entire room is lit up like a 100 watt bulb.

qmini6c.jpg

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really want to see a comparison between the Mini 123 and the ITP A1. Size and beamshots.
Does anyone have both?

I don't think the A1 has landed in any U.S. members pockets yet but I got word mine may be shipping today or Monday.

michaelmcgo, In your beam shots the Preon almost looks brighter than the Mini123. I'm wondering if that could be just a slight difference in angle of lights hitting the wall and producing more glare to the camera. Does the Preon look brighter to your eye than the Mini? Thanks for the detailed review and pics. Preon's are pretty !

Last edited:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks again Matrixshaman for the great pics.:)

I'm still waiting for my lights too show.This tread is the only thing keeping me going.:D:D:D

lovecpflovecpflovecpf

You're welcome - I'll bet the postal guys up your way will be moving a little faster just to stay warm from the way things look. Hopefully they'll get their soon :thumbsup:

BTW I can tell from my pic above where the Fenix P1 is head to head with the Mini that you might not think the Mini is smaller so I just grabbed my digital Micrometer.
Fenix P1 head = 20.40 mm
Mini 123 head = 20.28 mm

Last edited:

Zendude

Enlightened
Really want to see a comparison between the Mini 123 and the ITP A1. Size and beamshots.
Does anyone have both?

Don't forget the A2!

I ordered one with some A3s for gifts but the black A3 was back ordered.:mecry:
I'll order the MiNi AA for myself and maybe the wife.:naughty:
I'm still holding out for Ti or NAT HA but it doesn't look like it's going to happen any time soon.:mecry:

Matrixshaman,

Any word on your clip solution?

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
I really like my Preon and had expected my Mini123's (due today) to replace the 2-year old RAW that has been in my pocket every day. But I just realized that neither light has "last level memory". This is a deal-breaker for me - for EDC uses. 95% or more of the time, I use the high level of light. I'll still use them around the house, garage and in the cars. They are very nice lights and are at a great price point. I wonder if a couple or five dollars more would have bought the exact same UI but with memory?

Knife Boy

Newly Enlightened
I got my Mini 123 yesterday......What a tremendous value!! The light is superb. Great finishing, built well, smooth operation, great levels (low is good and low, medium is perfect for all around use, and high is really high when you need it). I love the fact that the strobes/beacons are available if needed, but tucked away. The packaging was a real treat, and unexpected in a $39 light. Tint on mine was really good. Ididn't note any green at all. I love this light...I think I need 1 or 6 more. Great job 4 Sevens!!

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget the A2!

I ordered one with some A3s for gifts but the black A3 was back ordered.:mecry:
I'll order the MiNi AA for myself and maybe the wife.:naughty:
I'm still holding out for Ti or NAT HA but it doesn't look like it's going to happen any time soon.:mecry:

Matrixshaman,

Any word on your clip solution?

Unfortunately still likely a ways off time wise as I haven't got my shop set back up yet. Working hard towards that goal though - maybe one or 2 months yet.

Russz

Newly Enlightened
Both of my Minis arrived today! What a couple of GREAT lights! I'm sure I'll be ordering more although I'll probably wait till after the holiday.
Great Job 4 Sevens!
Russ Z:twothumbs

Status
Not open for further replies.