R.I.P. Charlton Heston

alfablue

Newly Enlightened
This is a requim thread started for the stellar actor, Charlton Heston. Could you please refrain from any off topic responses.
Cheers.
Okay, apologies, I misunderstood the nature of a discussion forum. I guess the first of the several people who cited his "cold dead hands" line started this dreadful decline in to this off-topic area! I'll keep my discussion to myself in future, this board is obviously far too sensitive.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, apologies, I misunderstood the nature of a discussion forum. I guess the first of the several people who cited his "cold dead hands" line started this dreadful decline in to this off-topic area! I'll keep my discussion to myself in future, this board is obviously far too sensitive.
its not, but do show respect for CH, even if you dont agree on his views.This particular thread is to express your well wishes for his family, and to bid him farewell, if you wish to start a discussion on gun-politics, open a new thread, or go to the underground.

:)

Crenshaw

alfablue

Newly Enlightened
its not, but do show respect for CH, even if you dont agree on his views.This particular thread is to express your well wishes for his family, and to bid him farewell, if you wish to start a discussion on gun-politics, open a new thread, or go to the underground.

I think there was absolutely no disrespect in my original comment (see below) and I was merely offering some balance to those lauding his "cold dead hands" statement, and I did acknowledge his undoubted success as an actor.

I agree, RIP Charlton Heston, but I do not agree with his NRA beliefs and the callous "From my cold dead hands" statements. But then I'm a Brit, so what do I know.

We are all entitled to our views, however, and I can see the good in his acting career clearly overshadows his politics.

But I take your point and will humbly desist.

Mercaptan

Enlightened
I agree, RIP Charlton Heston, but I do not agree with his NRA beliefs and the calous "From my cold dead hands" statements. But then I'm a Brit, so what do I know.

We are all entitled to our views, however, and I can see the good in his acting career clearly overshadows his politics.

What about the fact that he protested segregated restaurants in the 50s and 60s and was an ardent supporter and friend of Martin Luther King, Jr.?

He wasn't just a 2nd amendment defender; he never tired in supporting the delivery of every promise in the Bill of Rights and Constitution. He was a civil rights activist, 2nd amendment proponent, and an incredible actor.

We'll miss you man -

Mercaptan
NRA Life Member

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I agree, RIP Charlton Heston, but I do not agree with his NRA beliefs and the calous "From my cold dead hands" statements. But then I'm a Brit, so what do I know.

We realize Brits would never understand that the 2nd Ammendment to our U.S. Constitution was added as a protection against the abuses their very Empire inflicted throughout the world.

You would need to have your lands owned, resources scavenged, friends and family subjugated, taxed without representation, dominated by decrees from a long line of Royal buffoons whose only claim to power sprang forth from the loins of their depraved parents to understand the depth of the attachment America has to the right to keep and bear arms.

If not Heston, there would be no shortage of other vocal, prominent, & passionate spokesmen for the 2nd Ammendment.

alfablue

Newly Enlightened
What about the fact that he protested segregated restaurants in the 50s and 60s and was an ardent supporter and friend of Martin Luther King, Jr.?

He wasn't just a 2nd amendment defender; he never tired in supporting the delivery of every promise in the Bill of Rights and Constitution. He was a civil rights activist, 2nd amendment proponent, and an incredible actor.

We'll miss you man -

Mercaptan
NRA Life Member

I have no desire to take this thread further into the area considered to be "off topic" so my response to this (indicating that CH was once a supporter of gun control, but underwent a seismic shift in his politics in the 1980's) is posted in a new thread in the Underground.

Last edited by a moderator:

Patriot

Flashaholic

No arguments from me regarding that.

.....oh and thank you Lux. :grin2:

alfablue

Newly Enlightened
We realize Brits would never understand that the 2nd Ammendment to our U.S. Constitution was added as a protection against the abuses their very Empire inflicted throughout the world.

You would need to have your lands owned, resources scavenged, friends and family subjugated, taxed without representation, dominated by decrees from a long line of Royal buffoons whose only claim to power sprang forth from the loins of their depraved parents to understand the depth of the attachment America has to the right to keep and bear arms.

If not Heston, there would be no shortage of other vocal, prominent, & passionate spokesmen for the 2nd Ammendment.
Still attempting to keep this on topic, so response is is in the Underground.

Last edited by a moderator:

Empath

Flashaholic
It's sufficient to acknowledge Charlton Heston's support for his beliefs. The merits of whether those that side with him or those that reject those opinions are correct or in error are beyond the focus of this board. That aspect can be discussed in the Underground.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I read a quote somewhere from Mr Heston. To parahprase it : He was born and lived in the wrong century.

I can see that. Some of his best work was set in biblical times or in the far future. But he did such a wide range of work that it's surprising that he's remembered for Moses more than many of the rest.

Daniel

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think there was absolutely no disrespect in my original comment (see below)

I should have worded it better, didnt really mean to say you showed dis-respect..sorry! was just heading off a potentially thread-closing discussion...:)

Crenshaw

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting how we imbue the performers with the attributes of their characters. Performers are just that - entertainers. They bring us pleasure or diversion. They have no special knowledge or insights because of their roles.

The really interesting thing is how their reknown increases their effect on the world. I really don't think Madonna, Chuck Norris or Bono are significantly more knowledgeable about world affairs than the average CPF'er (richer for sure) but consider the inordinate power they have via the media. The real character issue is how they choose to use their ascribed power.

I think the "hundred years too late" quote revolved, somewhat, around Heston's role in "Mountain Men". My favorite Heston movie because I feel that way myself sometimes.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've enjoyed many of CH movies and also liked the way he conducted himself in interviews.
He will be missed.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
RIP. He will be missed. Great actor. Great man. Great American.

The first time I remember seing him was as a kid watching "Soylent Green." I'll always remember that line "Soylent Green is People!"

Then, there was Planet of the Apes. I still love that movie.

Anyway, Chuck and I were definitely of the same mind about guns and the NRA. 'nough said about that, for here.