Recommendation on a small (3" or so) daily carry light?

HonorKnight

Newly Enlightened
I may not know where I am, but I'm not lost.
If the cost of the batteries is an issue, you should get the L1T. I find that two levels of brightness (at least) is best for an EDC. (unless you carry more than one light). If you try to read with some of the brigher lights you will go blind. (night vision gone anyway) Painful too. An HDS EDC is probably your best bet if you want a high quality EDC light. For that size: L1T for the 'thrifty'. HDS EDC for quality and versitily.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
for a small robust light that's reliable and easy to use....PD by a slight edge. I had a HDS but sold it because the PD was superior in ease of operation and a bette reflector. Can't go wrong with either one...

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go with an HDS Basic, either a 42XR or a 60 (or 60LE). The 42XR will last longer at primary brightness, but obviously is dimmer (42 lumens vs 60). Feed them with lithium ions.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Grox said:
The basic TW4 (e1e tailcap, body, KL4 head) would put you back about 120 if you got it on the cheap. The output will utterly blow away the q3. The q3 will give you about 20 lumens out the front, whereas the KL4 will give you somewhere from 80-100.

80-100 lumens?? it wont even put out that much on 2 cr123s.

-David

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
cheapo said:
80-100 lumens?? it wont even put out that much on 2 cr123s.

-David
Surefire's quote for the L4 is 100 lumens. And they're not known for overrating their lights (usually they're underrated).

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Planterz said:
Surefire's quote for the L4 is 100 lumens. And they're not known for overrating their lights (usually they're underrated).

i dont think it puts out 100. Quickbeams reviewed model put out ~85 lumens, and i doubt he just happened to get the worst one.

-David

Razor

Newly Enlightened
Isn't it ironic that you came to this site trying to find out which light to pick, and now you're none the better off than when you first started? The only difference being you now want all four or five! :laughing:

This forum has a tendency to do that to people. And if someone hasn't warned you already; hang on to your wallet. This place will empty it faster than a gas pump filling a Hummer.

Stormdrane

Enlightened
Jago1911 said:
One of the dealers here has the Q3 for $30.75 shipped which seems like a bargain. So much good info on this forum. It's gonna take a while for me to decide which light to go with. :)

Get a Nano charger and a couple of rechargeable 123 batteries for the Q3 and you won't have to worry about keeping a supply of regular batteries for your flashlights diet.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Try a Dorcy 1L 1W... at $20 what have you got to lose?

I wrapped mine in Sport Tape (couple dollars at Walmart) and gave it a NiniM*g accessory kit clip. I run it on a "3V" RCR123 (actually fresh off charger at 3.2ish).

I LIKE doing things on the cheap!

Jago1911

Newly Enlightened
I broke down and ordered a Q3 finally. :) For the price, I couldn't pass it up. If it doesn't work out for me, I'll move on to one of the other lights in this thread. I was not aware it took rechargeables, that's an added plus. Should I get the protected batteries or the unprotected ones? Lighthound has the charger + unprotected batteries for $13.99 and the charger + protected batteries for $19.99.

http://www.lighthound.com/sales/nano_r123_lithium_battery_charger.htm

Yeah Razor, this forum is so informative! I'm going to have to watch myself. :laughing:

woodfluter

Newly Enlightened
Hey there Jago -

At the price, you won't have gone wrong with your decision. And as you see, this stuff can get mildly addictive!

Just to emphasize some other replies, I find that small *low output* lights with one brightness level are just fine and very useful, my favorite being the Arc AAA. Medium output floods like the Peak McKinley and Inova X5 often are a good general choice. But high output lights with only one level are definitely *special purpose* lights for me. Great for looking down a monitoring well, spotlighting wildlife, that sort of thing. For frequent and unforseen uses, if a light offers the option of lots of candlepower, it better have one or more low-level options too...because that's what I'll use most of the time. YMMV, just offered as food for thought.

BTW, the HDS basic 60 is great. If you think you might have a reasonable likelihood of losing it, this will definitely give you heartburn. When I first saw it, I figured I never no way would spend that much. But really, it provides so much versatility (including use of rechargeable lithium ion batteries) that it can cover almost any situation, and that is very attractive.

Glad you are here.

- Bill

frisco

Enlightened
Jago1911 said:
I broke down and ordered a Q3 finally. :) For the price, I couldn't pass it up. If it doesn't work out for me, I'll move on to one of the other lights in this thread. I was not aware it took rechargeables, that's an added plus. Should I get the protected batteries or the unprotected ones? Lighthound has the charger + unprotected batteries for $13.99 and the charger + protected batteries for $19.99.

http://www.lighthound.com/sales/nano_r123_lithium_battery_charger.htm

Yeah Razor, this forum is so informative! I'm going to have to watch myself. :laughing:

Go for the a couple of the protected ones till you learn how to use un-protected cells. I have a Q3 and use it with a RCR123..... very bright and the beam is a perfect all around shape. Very useful tool !

frisco

Jago1911

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the help guys! I got a shipment confirmation so now I'm just waiting for it to arrive. :)