Reduced-power H11 fogs(?) as DRL?

RoGuE_StreaK

Enlightened
I've recently bought a '12 Mitsubishi Outlander; the previous model with the Lancer face (eg. pic here). I'm trying to figure out the "best" daytime driving lighting method, preferably using the stock setup. In Australia DRLs are not mandatory, and this Outlander doesn't have the DRL setup installed (extra bulb in the "fog" light).

Notice I use "fog" in inverted commas; I actually have no idea what I should be calling these, and what the legal usage of them is here in Aus, as they are fitted with white lights, H11 I believe. As the car has bi-xenon projectors I figure from reading here that they are no longer the best for being noticed in daylight (I used to drive with my low beams on in previous cars, on long trips etc), the parkers are pretty woeful little dots of white, but I don't know if driving with the parkers and the "fogs"/"driving lights"(?) is legal in Aus. I know for sure the yellow foglights aren't legal to use unless in "adverse conditions", but I don't know if these ones classify more as DRLs? I used them driving through a shadowy rainforest the other week, but am a little concerned as to whether they should actually be treated as fog lights and not used in the presence of others, which cuts down my options for daytime visibility?

So, as a compromise and spurred by the "high beam as DRL" thread, I'm wondering if I can/should run a lower power level to the H11 bulbs as a DRL when desired? Ideally I'd have a multi-stage LED setup but that seems to be a no-no.

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Notice I use "fog" in inverted commas; I actually have no idea what I should be calling these, and what the legal usage of them is here in Aus, as they are fitted with white lights

They're fog lamps. Contrary to persistent myth, it is not the light color that distinguishes a fog lamp from other types of lamp. Most fog lamps produce white light.

As the car has bi-xenon projectors I figure from reading here that they are no longer the best for being noticed in daylight

The low beams would suit fine as DRLs, and as long as they're wired up in accordance with applicable requirements would meet the legal requirements, too.

the parkers are pretty woeful little dots of white

Parking lamps aren't legal or adequate DRLs anywhere.

I know for sure the yellow foglights aren't legal to use unless in "adverse conditions", but I don't know if these ones classify more as DRLs?

No, they're fog lamps. The laws about fog lamp use apply to them.

So, as a compromise and spurred by the "high beam as DRL" thread, I'm wondering if I can/should run a lower power level to the H11 bulbs as a DRL when desired?

Would make a lousy and noncompliant DRL.

Ideally I'd have a multi-stage LED setup but that seems to be a no-no.

Not sure what you mean by "multi-stage LED". There are good, effective aftermarket LED DRLs available from Philips, from Osram, and from Hella Australia. Hella Australia's website has been gutted in favor of a minimally-retouched version of the corporate German site, but you can still see the ANZ products at Hella New Zealand's site, and they have a DRL microsite. Hella NZ part numbers are the same as Hella Australia part numbers.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I'm not sure why you're having trouble understanding that a lighting device can provide two different functions when equipped with two different bulbs in two different locations.