Replacing the rubber boot on a Stinger(???)

The one over the switch on the regular Stinger/Ultrastinger. The current one is worn completely through (my best friend carried it on duty for amost five years).
I can't figure out how to get the "innards" out of the light, and the exploded views that SL has on their website really didn't help.
Thanks.

Got the newer reflector, and a new battery, today, as well. Going to be like having a new light, if I can just get that switch cover on there...

I never tried to take one apart, but the two charging nipples on the light unscrew w/a Phillips screwdriver...The switch assembly should slide out....hopefully...

--dan

Got it out.
When you look at the light with the reflector removed, and switch pointing up, there are two "ears", for lack of a better word, that stick out toward you on the left and right. They both have a slot in them that you can pry on with a screwdriver. They have to be pried in a little, because they are overlapped by the threads inside the head. By putting the battery in, and pushing on it while prying in first one ear, then the other, the whole assembly started moving out. It got stuck part of the way out, but I stuck a screwdriver in the switch hole, and pried it the rest of the way out. I don't know what kind of plastic the switch assembly is made of. It's hard, and not very flexible, so I was afraid of cracking it, but it came through ok, and popped right back in when I was done.
Getting up the guts to pry on it was alot harder than actually doing it.
Now I'm happy
grin.gif

btw, the stippled reflector is a HUGE improvement over the old one.

I would say the Stipled reflector emits a beam similar to an E series SF. With minor focus adjustment, you can get a really bright hotspot, but it doesn't have the bright outer "corona" that a 8-series SF has.

Overall, the stipled reflector is an excellent improvement.

--dan

Greg,
My friend that I mentioned getting the Stinger from now carries a 8(A?)X. We compared them both indoors and out last night.
The Stinger was adjusted to the tightest hotspot I could get before it started to "deform" (similar beam quality to the SF), and most of my comments will be based on that.
At that setting, the Stinger's hotspot is at least twice as big as the SFs, but not quite as bright. dano compared it to the E2, and that's pretty close to what I'm seeing. The hotspot is kind of between the MN03 in a E2, and a P60 LA, both in size, and brightness (it might be brighter with the new battery-the one that's in there is five years old, and was discharged nightly for over four years).
It can get as tight as the SF 8x, but is uneven and misshapen when focused like that. The wide focus is ok for when you don't need a bright light, but it has a hole through the middle of it. Though the Stinger beam's corona is not quite as bright as the SF's, it is larger. The corona is about the same size and brightness as the E2e's.
Overall, I think the "new" Stinger is a more usable light, since it has the larger hotspot and corona, plus the ability to focus down for more throw outdoors where the difference in beam quality won't be very noticeable.
I'm going to put the new battery on charge overnight, and then compare it with the old one to see if there is alot of difference. I may like it even more tomorrow
smile.gif

btw, the stippled reflector is a HUGE improvement over the old one.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Owen,
Are you still of the opinon that the stippled reflector gives the Stinger the same quality beam as the SF 8 series rechargables? My 8X has been a good light, but with lamp assy. at $20, I wouldn't mind a Stinger to compliment my US.
Thanks,
Greg

Owen and Dan,
Thanks for the replies. One of my UltraStingers is an upgraded SuperStinger, I think the bulb is around here somewhere, maybe I'll give BrightGuy a shout about the stippled reflector assy.
Thanks again for the the very informative replies,
Greg

With the new battery in place, my Stinger is now brighter than a P60. A good bit brighter. The hotspot is also bigger than the impression my earlier post may have given. The P60's spot is elliptical, while the Stinger's is round. While the Stinger's is a little wider at the broadest point, it is also "fuller", and at least twice as big overall. It seems a little whiter than it did with the old battery, too.

btw Greg, I got my reflector from BrightGuy, too, along with some other stuff. My first time w/BG, but definitely not the last. Great service.

If this works, it will be a beamshot. Left to right-SF P60, Stinger w/stippled reflector, SF MN03
fcf13da5.jpg