Romisen lights are junk.

snewbie

Newly Enlightened
Hey, i got a pile of rc-g2s and had the same issue. The problem was flux on the positive battery contact. I pulled them apart and cleaned them and haven't had a problem yet.
All the people i gave them to for christmas love them.

I hope this helps.

I saw some black stuff there that came off with a bit of 95% isopropyl alcohol on a Q-tip. It has been working latley though.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok so which part inside do I tighten? The black plastic thing that the spring is attached to via a rivet looking thing or the larger metal thing that is threaded that fits inside the tail cap?
If I can fix these things, great.

It'll be the threaded thing. There are 2 indentations in it you use to tighten it.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I have had no problems with any of mine. I see no reason not to recommend them openly to others. I have never recommended either of your particular lights, as I do not own them and have no experience with them.

That being said, I have always touted the RC-N3-Q5 and RC-C3 as cheap beaters that won't break your wallet if broken or lost. If you want something higher quality or reliability there are better choices IMHO. I still think a low-low mode capable RC-N3-Q5 could challenge much more expensive lights in some but not all aspects.

I think shiningbeam sells relaceable switch modules for your lights... dont quote me on that though.

snewbie

Newly Enlightened
Well I would need one since I just destroyed my forward clicky for my RC-f4. I'm done with the cheap junky lights. I'll give fenix a try.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought an RC-G2 as a gift, but played with it for a while. I was very impressed by the build quality - it was as good as $50 1xAAs. The person I gave it to has not had a single problem with it in years.

But that's the problem with DX. When you find something that's good, act fast, because the products change, although the descriptions don't always follow suit :shakehead (Just a guess that there was some change here)

bodhran

Enlightened
I'm a newbie myself. I've had some problems with my lights but they've all turned out to be minor. By reading here, or just asking, it seems that most problems can be corrected. Haven't had to throw one off a bridge yet...:)

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Romisen is a pretty good budget light company.

Since you destroyed the tailcap, is it still the companies fault? How did you try to open it up?

The retaining ring is the round metal washer type thing with the two holes opposite each other.

Shiningbeam does have replacement parts for Romisen.

snewbie

Newly Enlightened
I need a reliable reasonably durable light for $50 and a warranty of some sort, which fenix seems to offer. I plan on mounting the light on an AK and put a couple of hundred rounds through it during the 30 day money back gaurrantee period to see if it will hold up at all. Surprizingly, my reverse clicky RC-f4 has survived that much, and after mounting it again, it works fine. I mounted my forward clicky RC-F4 on it, but never got around to going to the range with it. Besides, the switch has never worked right anyways.

So, out of 4 Romisen lights, only 1 works (even after abuse) and is worth anything. Id rather just pay $50-60 for 1 good light.

snewbie

Newly Enlightened
Romisen is a pretty good budget light company.

Since you destroyed the tailcap, is it still the companies fault? How did you try to open it up?

The retaining ring is the round metal washer type thing with the two holes opposite each other.

Shiningbeam does have replacement parts for Romisen.

Nope.

Me+needle nose pliers+electronics+2 Beers=BAD COMBO lol

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Ahhh ok.

Did you try cleaning the contacts?

Only the TK series of Fenix lights were built with tactical use in mind so the other models might not tbe the best idea but they could work. The multimode ones(the L1T V2.0, L2T V2.0 and TK series aren't affected) might change mode when the gun is fired due to the recoil.

snewbie

Newly Enlightened
From what I understand, if you turn the bezel all the way tight, it will be on high mode, which is what I would use it on, but I'll keep that in mind. I talked to a guy on the phone at Fenix gear (I think), and he acted like it would work fine, so if it doesnt, I dont have to feel dishonest about using the warranty. I switch tail caps between the 2 RC-F4s (before I broke the one), and the problem followed the forward clicky tail cap. My RC-G2 is going good, but it has been behaving itself for the last few days anyways. I'll probably spend a bit more money and get a nicer Fenix with more power to mount on my rifle, but I wanted to try a cheaper one first. I didnt realize the TK series where meant for tactical use while the others werent. Well see.

GrnXnham

Enlightened
I've purchased about 10 Fenix lights and I haven't had any problems with any of them. They are very reliable.

I've purchased about 10 different flashlights from DX and I've had problems with all of them but one--usually flickering or the same problem that the OP describes with the tail cap needing to be screwed on again for it to turn on.

At this point I need my lights to be reliable. I'll just spend the extra $$ on the Fenix or better instead of throwing it away on the bottom-of-the-line stuff from Asia.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only good experiences with Fenix lights, and I have many. I've had iffy experiences with DX/KD lights. Usually it takes some added work (tightening, shimming, or grind down the ends of the bezel/tailap to get solid contacting inside) for them to become reliable; but most of them can be made pretty reliable after that.

My Romisens were OK, but (independent of reliability issues - which I haven't experienced), I was very unimpressed by their battery efficienty. Fenix L1D-CD gets like twice the light out of a battery that the Romisen C2 does, and even the XJC B8 (my favorite low cost KD light) gets 70% more light than the Romisen. So not my preference, and I like cheapo lights...

lightbug

Enlightened
Hmmm....I have less than 1% returns on the Romisen lights that I have sold. Even less on the RC-N3 Q5 model. Romisen lights are not best in term of quality or function. But they couldn't be that bad! :eek:

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
The fact that these light have a contact problem in the tailcap switch doesn't mean they are junk. Many expensive lights have problems with the tint or flicker problems, are they junk too?

Of course you shouldn't expect very high quality from such a cheap product. The people who said Romisen lights were good, they were right, romisen light are great for the price and you can hardly find a light with similar build quality and functionality. I've been through lot of DX/KD lights that came with small problems like this, and they can get fixed easily.

CPF dilemma: You get what you pay for.

Last edited:

snewbie

Newly Enlightened
If 3 out of 4 of the lights worked rather than the other way around, I would have had a different thread title.

I appreciate everyones help.

lightbug

Enlightened
That implies that you have sold >100 of them. That is a large number. Could you clarify please - are you a dealer?

Hi DM51,
I'm Bryan from Shining Beam.
Let me see, I have sold about 1500 units of RC-N3 Q5, and I believe less than 8 returns for this model. I do briefly test out every flashlight before shipping them out, this is a good way to eliminate the bad eggs.

Last edited:

KRUPPSTAHL

Newly Enlightened
i had several Fenix's lights since 2 years - so far no problems and
very happy with their performance and price / value.

also i have had a few Romisen, of course they are no Surefire, but
for 20 -30 bucks, they worked very well....

one i broke off the head when trying to take the head off ( extremly thin material )......and another one started smoking in the tailcap.

got them both replaced.....and the new ones were ok.