Romisen lights are junk.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like my MXDL's , Some where there is poor contact .

My 2xAA MXDL had poor soldering , poor contact , flickering , refused to turn on without being bi**h slapped silly .

I re-soldered the negative wire , and screwed in the heatsink nice n tight .

Now it seems to be working ok .

My 1xAA , is still a "B" , flickers - refuses to turn on - is dim - then bright , a real Turd of a light , im not sure where the problem is , possibly the tail switch .

On the other hand my Romisen is fine .

Watchguy

Newly Enlightened
Never had a problem with my wifes RC-G2. Best $11.00 light I have (actually the only $11.00 light I have;)):crackup:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Hi DM51,
I'm Bryan from Shining Beam.
Let me see, I have sold about 1500 units of RC-N3 Q5, and I believe less than 8 returns for this model. I do briefly test out every flashlight before shipping them out, this is a good way to eliminate the bad eggs.

An historic CPF post.... ACTUAL failure rate data from a retailer. It takes guts to admit this my man, cheers and thank you.:thumbsup:

FWIW my N3 is doing just fine. I just swapped the GITD switch cap with a Surefire one. I like the all black and all green look better. 2 of my faves...
dscn5548.jpg

Despite the OP's rant I still think Romisen make a quality product, at that price point... and same goes for Fenix at their prices.

Last edited:

Tmsa

Newly Enlightened
Hi DM51,
I'm Bryan from Shining Beam.
Let me see, I have sold about 1500 units of RC-N3 Q5, and I believe less than 8 returns for this model. I do briefly test out every flashlight before shipping them out, this is a good way to eliminate the bad eggs.

I have 3 RC-f4 & 1 RC-N3 from Bryan and none have any problems.lovecpf

GrnXnham

Enlightened
Hmmm....I have less than 1% returns on the Romisen lights that I have sold. Even less on the RC-N3 Q5 model. Romisen lights are not best in term of quality or function. But they couldn't be that bad! :eek:

Yes, this is possible, however another possibility is that for many people, myself included, it's not worth the time and effort to send back a cheap flashlight.

If I buy a cheap light and it has problems, I either try to fix it myself, give it away, or keep it for parts.

Packaging it back up, going to the PO, emailing back and forth with the company who sold it to me = too much effort when something is cheap.

But it sounds like you check them 1st before sending them, so you are weeding out the bad ones. Maybe I should order from you from now on!

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Romisen lights are NOT junk.

I've bought perhaps five or six RC-N3's, two or three RC-C3's and an RC-F4 from Bryan at Shining Beam and every one of these lights has worked flawlessly. And they (all Q5 versions) are bright as heck! I've given most of them to friends and family and they love them. I think for around $20 these lights are awesome. I run both 3.7v rechargeables and 3v primaries in them all and they have been great. Just my recent experience. My favorite Romisens are the RC-N3 and RC-C3

N3_C3_2572.jpg

N3_C3_faces2573.jpg

stefanj

Newly Enlightened
I have 3 of their lasers- all work perfectly. I bought 8 RC-N3 for Christmas gifts- all work perfectly, I have a RC-N3 as my EDC. Works perfectly. Just got a RC-K4 2 weeks ago- works perfectly. My neighbor (who originally turned me on to Romisen) has several lasers and light- all work perfectly. I have no hesitation of purchasing any of their products.

FlashlightsNgear.com

→Formerly d1live←, Flashaholic
I just ordered a RC-F4 Q5 and RC-N3 Q5 from Shinning Beam, both in Gray, wish me luck. I have now managed to spend well over a 100 bucks in 3 days on 6 different lights and 3 kinds of batteries and chargers to charge them, and its only the beginning lol. Thanks guys

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've only been into flashlights for about a year or so, but have picked up I think, now 3 Romisen's (RC-G2, RC-N3 and a SAIK RC-A3) and one Ultrafire (Stainless C3 w/a P4 Cree), and have had not a single problem with any of them. The RC-G2 was given to my 4-year old, and it's still working after a year, which says alot!

These aren't top-shelf lights, and I'm sure they don't have the durability of a Surefire or even a Fenix, but for use around the house, or for riding around in a jacket pocket day after day, I think they'd probably be fine. As another posted pointed out, they don't have sophisticated cicuitry, and will eat batteries pretty quicly. And yes, they are likely to wear out in some way before a higher priced light would, or, more likely, bite the dust if dropped when a more sturdy light would have survived. But that's what you get when you spend $10-$15 for a light.

The tail-switch retaining ring thing is, I think, not unusual. My Fenix L2P v.2 developed this problem after a year of use the other day, and it took just a second to spin the ring back into place and snug it down, and the switch works fine again.

snewbie

Newly Enlightened
Wouldnt cleaning the threads and then blue loctiting them keep from having to periodically tighten them?

Oh, and you guys are killing me on the RC-N3 Q5. it looks very nice. Exactly what I need. How long would it survive being mounted to a rifle?

lightbug

Enlightened
Thank you for all your support guys. Without you, Shining Beam won't last in this competitve market.
For now, I just hope the new 2-mode RC-N3 Q5 is as good as the single mode one. If I'm lucky, I should be able to get them on or before March 10th. :D

Last edited:

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

ecallahan

Enlightened
I bought three RC-G2's from Shiningbeam. No complaint here, especially for the $19 each that I paid. They function well, and are a great light for the money. Great light to give your kids and wife if you don't want them to mess with your 'better' lights:) Also gave one to my mom. They run on a common AA and were much brighter and more economical than the flashlights she had.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
FWIW my N3 is doing just fine.
Now that's a well used RC-N3 :)

Despite the OP's rant I still think Romisen make a quality product, at that price point... and same goes for Fenix at their prices.
I agree. For their price point, the Romisen lights are a good deal.

I only have the RC-N3 Q5 from ShiningBeam and an RC-C3 P4 that I got from DX. Both work fine and get regular use.

Your not going to get Surefire quality with a $25 light, and occasionally you may get a bad one.

DHart, excellent photos :thumbsup:

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only have one Romisen, an RC-G2 from DX. I expected it to need a little fiddling when it arrived, but all it needed was a touch more lubricant. If anything it exceeded my expectations of an $11.30 (including shipping) light.

LEDite

Enlightened
I disagree.

I bought over a hundred Romisen #18650 lights for customer gifts.

The overwhelming response was very positive over the year after.

Flashlights are very low voltage circuits and may have contact problems.

Larry

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO, the OP should change the thread to have a more specific subject line about the any issues, and not a broad personal conclusion that is a disservice to us all.

alohaluau

Newly Enlightened
Re: Romisen lights are junk TO SOME...

My first foray into LED lights was the Romisen RC-G2, I don't expect much for a flashlight costing $11.20 or thereabouts, but as they say, "You get what you pay for".

It has lasted me 11 months and is still going. In fact, I've bought a further 10 more (RC-G2, RC-N3, RC-A3), most of them as gifts, and all of them are still working. :twothumbs Just have to tighten the retaining ring in the tail cap on a couple of them. I don't want to be seen giving out *non functioning* cheapie lights.

How long would it survive being mounted to a rifle?

You seem to be looking for a flashlight for a specific purpose, why don't you go for the more trusted brands which manufacture lights for that purpose instead of going for the cheap ones and being disappointed with their performance?

Romisens HAVE NOT BEEN DESIGNED to be mounted to a rifle... :thinking:

Last edited:

ebk637

Newly Enlightened
+1 :nana:

Maybe it´s a bad luck case... I have a lot of Fenix lights, and all are perfect!

:twothumbs

I agree!
I have four fenix lights and one RCF4by romisen and all work flawlessly.
of course my romisen came from shiningbeam.:thumbsup: