Romisen lights are junk.

snewbie

Newly Enlightened
Re: Romisen lights are junk TO SOME...

My first foray into LED lights was the Romisen RC-G2, I don't expect much for a flashlight costing $11.20 or thereabouts, but as they say, "You get what you pay for".

It has lasted me 11 months and is still going. In fact, I've bought a further 10 more (RC-G2, RC-N3, RC-A3), most of them as gifts, and all of them are still working. :twothumbs Just have to tighten the retaining ring in the tail cap on a couple of them. I don't want to be seen giving out *non functioning* cheapie lights.

You seem to be looking for a flashlight for a specific purpose, why don't you go for the more trusted brands which manufacture lights for that purpose instead of going for the cheap ones and being disappointed with their performance?

Romisens HAVE NOT BEEN DESIGNED to be mounted to a rifle... :thinking:

Uh, the only one that works is the one that is mounted. 3 out of 4 not working= junk. Now that I'm sober this morning, I'll not be wasting my $20 on iffy lights. You guys remind me of all the Hi-Point firearm threads. A bunch of people saying stuff like "the only people that talk down on Hi-points are those that have never owned one". So what do I do? I go buy one, and it was a total jammomatic piece of junk. Apparently, I just cant really trust peoples reviews of cheap stuff. I'll give fenix a try, but will probably save my money for a sure-fire and be done with it. I'm outta here.

Skidmark6

Newly Enlightened
Ive had six or seven different romisen lights and all worked flawlessly (RC-N3, RC-F4, and RC-G2). Most I gave away but kept a couple for use around the house. Must be a case of bad QC, but Ive never even had a temporary glitch with any of my romisens. For the price, I dont even worry about a warrenty, if they dont work, try to fix or just throw them away. I kept the ones from shining beam with the q5 leds as they were noticably brighter than the ones from Dx and they all had reverse clicky switches.

lightbug

Enlightened
DHart,
Thank you for your suggestion.

It is quite hard to market an unknown brand of light to this saturated market, especially in this lousy economy. I might carry other well known brands in future such as Nitecore or Fenix, but really don't want to promote an unknown mid-range light, it might not sell well and I'll end up with losing money. :(

USM0083

Enlightened
I've purchased about 8 RC-F4s, mostly from DX but a couple Q5 models from Shiningbeam, and they have all be outstanding performers. The forward clicky that he sells it very well made.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bryan... I can understand your point. Too bad, though, as the Jil looks wonderful and ordering from the Far East can be such a pain. It would be wonderful to have a USA retailer of Jil.

TO all... as far as Romisen goes, Shining Beams Romisens having Q5 emitters and forward clickies vs. DX's P4 and reverse clicky, plus Shining Beams local service and communication, and quick super quick shipping, makes buying Romisens from ShiningBeam a slam dunk no brainer, very well worth a few extra bucks vs. having to deal with DX's time lag and less desireable product features!

Last edited:

snewbie

Newly Enlightened
I'm gonna pick up a couple of forward clickys from him and a couple of batterries, so thanks ahead of time shining beam.

seaside

Enlightened
Jil lite is small but very reputable brand there, that makes wonderful flashlights. I personally want to see more US customers can get their products. But that exactly is not easy.

Some of you may want to see this one called Qohelet. Maybe some of you can personally contact them via email and see if they can sell one for you.

But the problem is the fact it is not very well known in US. Because of that, bringing their lights into US probably is risky in terms of business. And even if things go smooth, and lots of customer demand their products, it is hard to fullfil such demands due to their small production capacity.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast

Uh, the only one that works is the one that is mounted. 3 out of 4 not working= junk. Now that I'm sober this morning, I'll not be wasting my $20 on iffy lights. You guys remind me of all the Hi-Point firearm threads. A bunch of people saying stuff like "the only people that talk down on Hi-points are those that have never owned one". So what do I do? I go buy one, and it was a total jammomatic piece of junk. Apparently, I just cant really trust peoples reviews of cheap stuff. I'll give fenix a try, but will probably save my money for a sure-fire and be done with it. I'm outta here.

Solarforce ? I ordered one , so will see .

FlashlightsNgear.com

→Formerly d1live←, Flashaholic

Hi=Points are cheap but and shoot ok with UMC ammo (yellow box) the Winchester white box crap jams in alot of guns (not my Browning Pro9) also Corbon ammo is the best to use in the Hi-Points for hunting or self defense loads, sorry about the off-topic gun talk here but Hi-Point firearms are better than nothing and a 100 bucks is really nothing for a pistol. BTW Spear +P ammo doesnt jam either, emptied many mags of it :)

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast

Many semi-auto firearms, even the expensive ones can jam for a variety of reasons... extractor adjustment on 1911's,m mag issues, spring issues, feed ramp geometry, slide to frame interference, incompatibility with certain brands of ammo or certain bullet ogive shapes, or certain bullet weights. Anyone who disses an entire line or brand of semi auto weapons because one of them jams is ignorant of the huge range of possible issues.

gilly

Enlightened
Purchased two AA Romisen models for my little boys for Christmas 2007. One is still working, the other's tailcap crapped out. Tried to fix it but no luck. I'm certainly not going to carry one if my life depended on it. Never had any problems with any of my Fenix lights and I've bought at least six over the last few years.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a cliche, but it's a case of you get what you paid for. If the lower-end lights performace as well and are as reliable as the higher-end lights, then high-end manufacturers will be out of business :shrug: The low-end manufacturers could keep their prices down because they make trade-offs, which in many cases, they outsource interntionally and they sacrifice the quality control efforts.

Those who purchase Romisen understand the inheritant risk that these lights may fail at any point. I doubt they'll throw these around, abuse them, use them as weaponlights, and certainly not as a light that you'll count your life on. They're good for everyday purposes, but that's about where you draw the line.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a cliche, but it's a case of you get what you paid for. If the lower-end lights performace as well and are as reliable as the higher-end lights, then high-end manufacturers will be out of business :shrug: The low-end manufacturers could keep their prices down because they make trade-offs, which in many cases, they outsource interntionally and they sacrifice the quality control efforts.

Those who purchase Romisen understand the inheritant risk that these lights may fail at any point. I doubt they'll throw these around, abuse them, use them as weaponlights, and certainly not as a light that you'll count your life on. They're good for everyday purposes, but that's about where you draw the line.

There are times, places, and applications matched to almost every light you can buy, and there are a TON of available flashlight choices out there.... a bewildering array. The Romisens are good, solid, inexpensive utility lights. Their RC-C3 Q5 with it's stone reliable twisty switch is about as simple, solid, and reliable as any light can be. And very inexpensive. It's my favorite Romisen model. I carry one of them nearly all the time. Of course I have, and use daily, a great many other lights, some selling for six times the price of the RC-C3s. But there are still times, places, and applications where Romisens are a great choice.

DM51

Flashaholic
Would members please stay on topic. This thread is about Romisen, not other makes, and it is most certainly not about guns.

dclawyer

Newly Enlightened
I recently bought a few Romisen flashlights. I love them so far. They have worked flawlessly. I also recently bought two far more expensive American-made flashlights each of which I had to return because they would sometimes not turn on. In each case, this happened in the first hours of my ownership of these brand new flashlights. I was disappointed given what I paid. I am just sharing my experience. Make of it what you will. I would buy the Romisen flashlights again in a heartbeat.