RPC, SPC or VFD

StrikerDown

Enlightened
I have had my round column Rong Fu Mill/Drill for about 6 years and finally got tired of it's limitations. Mostly the lack of rigidity. I recently got a little too aggressive milling a flat on the side of a 1" round bar with a 1" carbide end mill it started to chatter and before I could stop the feed it had shattered several flutes... an expensive boo boo!

The even more expensive solution:

It is a Sharp LMV50 (50" Table:grin2:) It comes with a 6" Kurt, now I'll have two!, X and Y servo power feed, Cool Mist tank and coolant metering system and 2 axis Accurite DRO, which I will probably replace with the newer 3 axis DRO currently on the mill/drill, that has an integrated touch probe an LCD color display and Absolute magnetic scales. It not only has a ton more features but I already know how to use it! Plus It has a few of my favorite programs already in it!

Next I need to rent a trailer to go pick up this beast.

Question: What type phase converter should I use? RPC, Variable Frequency Drive or a Static Phase Converter. I believe the static loses 1/3 to 1/2 if the rated HP compared to hooking up to commercial 3 phase , not sure about the others
Any ideas, suggestions or recommendations would be much appreciated.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I went the VFD route when I wanted variable speed on my mill. I still have the belts and pulleys if I want to go real slow or real fast but mainly I use the VFD to determine spindle speed.

Of course, only the motor is being fed by the VFD in my case. Everything else is running from normal 120v circuits.

It looks like your Sharp already has variable speed, so there may be no benefit to using a VFD. If your Sharp is using 3ph for the auxiliary devices (the feeds) or DRO, then you may want to use the static phase converter. Please do more research before using my opinion for anything.

Daniel

brickbat

Enlightened
I'd avoid a static phase converter on a vertical mill, because you can't 'plug' it into reverse and, as has already been mentioned, the loss of torque. An RPC makes a nice project to design and build.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get the rotary converter. Purchase one large enough to cover your future needs like a new to you lathe.
A lathe will require a rotary converter due to having a flywheel. It needs that 120 degree pulse of power that a static converter doesn't create.

IMO, the negative of the RPC, is the weight of the motor used. Mines got a 15 horse cast iron GE motor on it. It's close to 600 lbs, so it's a pain to move around.

StrikerDown

Enlightened
Thank's for the ideas.
I've decided to bite the RPC bullet. I found a 5 horse w/Baldor motor/generator for a decent price, should arrive next week. I really like the idea of speed changes on the fly, but that is built in already. It has a low and high range and and a hand wheel to dial in 60- 500 RPM(L), and 500-4,500 RPM(H).
Plus it followed me home yesterday:

The 50" table is like an air craft carrier compared to my outgoing RF31, Mill/Drill! :grin2:

All cleaned up, lubed and anxiously waiting for the RPC to arrive.

I currently have a 20 amp 220V circuit in the wall behind the mill, but I'm thinking the 5HP RPC will need more amps. It's not a problem to update, when I put in the wiring I ran EMT conduit inside the walls so it should be simple to pull in larger wire back to the panel.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
While your waiting for the RPC, get yourself a 18" trammel and square the head to the table. Make sure to adjust the gibs first then lube and run the X and Y axis feeds.

I usually do the Y axis first, then the X. Extend the quill, as this will be worst case.

StrikerDown

Enlightened
Not sure what a trammel is but I do have the dial test indicator to tram the head... although I haven't trammed a mill with a tilt or nod feature before it should be much faster/easier than shimming a column! :)
Thank you for the info!

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
To get best results, extend your dial indicator as far away from the quill as possible. The larger the area sampled, the closer you'll get to square.
Trammel. http://www.airgas.com/product/Tools...6750!&ef_id=WFnG1AAABGTceycZ:20161221000332:s

A knee mill will develop some sag with wear. The trammel holding an indicator will allow you to zero with Y against the base, and give you reach for Y extended full length away.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Quote Originally Posted by NoNotAgain View Post
...Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach....

Kinda OT, but what's your sig line mean?

In a positive light, it's an observation that education is not always all that's needed to do the job. Sometimes you need skills to go along with the education. If you don't have the skills to do the job, one alternative for using your education is to teach others.

In a negative light, it's a slam against those who only have book learning and no practical experience.

Daniel

Last edited:

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
...the question was really meant for NoNotAgain...

Daniel pretty much summed it up.

When I first started working in aerospace just about every engineer I worked with had a doctorate. They didn't know how to do anything, but wrote lots of white papers.

When it came down to design, build, and fabrication they were no where in site.

brickbat

Enlightened
Glad I asked - It's an unusual use of the phrase. Generally, I've seen it as a pissed-off student's insult on teachers, underestimating their skills and abilities, which seems a bit provocative as a sig line...

In fact, googling it now, I don't see it being used to convey your position. Weird...

StrikerDown

Enlightened
This beast is really clean, all the little plaques, signs and dials still have their protective plastic film on them. I can appreciate this because I am that way and leave those on most of the time.

The RPC arrived a couple days ago and I got it mostly installed last night, except for clamping the flex to the wall and tying up a few loose cords...I can now make chips!

Looking at it It's hard to believe it is 14 years old!

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lubriplate makes a cleaner for the oiler system called CFL, for clean, flush and lubricate. If the machine has sat for a period of time, the metering valves stick and don't meter the correct portion of oil when you pump the handle. The last time I purchased some from MSC is was close to $10 a quart. You've got way oil as well as spindle oil ports.

Did you adjust the gibs yet? Also, how much run-out are you seeing in the table both X and Y?

StrikerDown

Enlightened
Original owner used Vactra #2 in the one shot pump, same way oil I use, need to order more and plan on getting mobile Velocite #10 for the spindle oil.
I have not heard of the "Lubriplate CFL" and can't find it listed on MSC or Mcmaster, sounds like a good idea to clean it out, do you have a PN for MSC?

I have not had time to adjust the gibs yet maybe tomorrow or Saturday, probably not Sunday (Christmas!).

I assume you mean backlash in the X & Y and it looks like about .005 in the Y and .006 for the X. I will go through the Adjustment procedure in the manual hopefully when I have time to attack the Gibs. Both seem pretty tight compared to what I'm used to but I will work the procedure to learn it as well as get it right.

Thanks for the info.

StrikerDown

Enlightened
I found Synflush.
How do you use it. Empty and pump it through the system or just add it to the way oil?

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Empty the pump and use as you would use way oil. Give it about 6-8 good pumps and traverse the table and wipe the ways with a clean cloth. After around the 3-4th traverse, you'll notice a lot of dirty crap show up. Then top off using Vectrax oil.