Shopping for a new EDC...

Kitchener

Newly Enlightened
My eyes glazed over when I ran a search, so I'm breaking down and asking a question that I'm sure has been covered ad nauseum.

It's been a few years since I've carried a keychain EDC light (a P1D CE that I forget what happened to) but was very impressed by the Fenix E15 I just got for my son who's headed off to college (his suggested packing list said a pocket flashlight so...). But I'm sure there's a lot of worthy competitors so I thought I'd ask for other suggestions to consider before I pull the trigger and get something for myself. What are the EDC benchmarks these days?

Ishango

Enlightened
Well the E15 won't be a bad light at all. If you like that style, I'd suggest checking out the Olight S1 Mini baton lights as well. Similar size but with a side switch instead of twisty. If you can find one the Foursevens Mini ML MkII lights are also very good lights. Any particular needs?

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
My eyes glazed over when I ran a search, so I'm breaking down and asking a question that I'm sure has been covered ad nauseum.

It's been a few years since I've carried a keychain EDC light (a P1D CE that I forget what happened to) but was very impressed by the Fenix E15 I just got for my son who's headed off to college (his suggested packing list said a pocket flashlight so...). But I'm sure there's a lot of worthy competitors so I thought I'd ask for other suggestions to consider before I pull the trigger and get something for myself. What are the EDC benchmarks these days?

The Fenix P1D was my first 'real' flashlight and it still functions flawlessly.

What batteries do you use and are you comfortable with li-ions, or only alkaleaks/NiMH?

Finally, what do you want the light to do for you?

I'm a lipstick light guy, carrying things like the Sunwayman V10/V11/M11 lights with li-ions, the EagleTac D25 Ti. clicky is what mostly carry, due to it's slim size and neat looks. I have an Olight S Mini rainbow that really small and puts out some light, but I don't live on a farm and don't have to run out to the pasture at nights, looking for Bessie the cow.

Needs vary.

Right now, Google Emisar D4, D1, D1S and D4S. They're pretty much the hottest lights going right now at at about $35 shipped for the D1, D1S and D4, so they're going for a song compared to others.

With the quad D4, you need a capable cell like the Sony VTC-5A 18650, but they're not a lot of scratch.

Chris

Kitchener

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the tips thus far. Needs-wise, nothing special other than those incalculable moments where just happening to have a good light in your pocket becomes handy. I already have good lights in glove compartments and on bedstands and beside the back door for dog duties.

Best things I could hope for in an EDC is small size so I WILL carry it in my pants pocket, a long run time in a brighter mode (e.g. level 2 isn't just 50 minutes, though with recharging ease...), and regulated. I can't say I'm married to any particular battery. Ease of charging is a consideration. Price isn't a deciding factor.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Thanks for the tips thus far....

Best things I could hope for in an EDC is small size ... long run time ... and regulated....

Price isn't a deciding factor.

People often say that, but if sky-is-the-limit ....

BOSS 35
HDS Rotary or Clicky
Malkoff MDC
McGizmo SunDrop

campingnut

Enlightened
In the Redwoods just North of the Golden Gate
If price is not an issue, buy an HDS. I have EDC an HDS Clicky for more than 5 years, using it everyday, without a single flaw...it works exactly how I expect it to every time. My second favorite is the Foursevens Quark. The company has been purchased and it may be a bit tough to find one, but they are out there (I own three). I keep a Fenix E01 on my keychain if you are looking for really small.

ven

Flashaholic
Great suggestions, all of them. I will though in zebralight as another option, many flavours, would pick 18650 fed as they are super compact anyway. Might as well benefit from a bigger fuel tank imho

Some of the lights suggested, pic for size comp

L-R
Haiku/ZL sc600/Surefire E1e with tana LE/ZL sc63w/HDS rotary/ ZL sc62w/ Eagtac D25c/ Emisar D4
KcsuXzml.jpg

I can EDC any and enjoy any tbh, all different, be it LED, colour temps, UI and slight size variable. Yet output varies from 200lm to near 4000lm...........

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
My EDC lights are a Streamlight Microstream which I have carried for probably ten years, a Nitecore Tip on my keychain, and a Nitecore EA11 on my belt. The only reason I carry the EA11 every day is that I am usually in a store of some sort when I am out and about, and just feel more comfortable carrying a light that can light up a larger area if the need arises.
Nitecore also has the Tube. It is a smaller light than the Tip, but has a ramping UI so one can select exactly how bright one wants the light to be.
I worked for several years in a nursing home kitchen with walking coolers and freezers. I was carrying a Streamlight Protac EMS at that time. Very useful for looking in the back corner or under the lowest shelf. One of the cooks was somewhat of a practical joker, and turned the light off on me one afternoon when I was in the cooler. I just pulled out my EMS and went about my business. When I came out of the cooler with my flashlight in my hand the expression on his face was priceless.

specv510

Newly Enlightened
I'm new here and no expert, but I'm going to second the suggestion for the Olight S1. I have the S1 and the S1R. I really enjoy the easy charging on the S1R so I'd suggest that model.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
My EDC lights are a Streamlight Microstream which I have carried for probably ten years, a Nitecore Tip on my keychain, and a Nitecore EA11 on my belt. The only reason I carry the EA11 every day is that I am usually in a store of some sort when I am out and about, and just feel more comfortable carrying a light that can light up a larger area if the need arises.
Nitecore also has the Tube. It is a smaller light than the Tip, but has a ramping UI so one can select exactly how bright one wants the light to be.
I worked for several years in a nursing home kitchen with walking coolers and freezers. I was carrying a Streamlight Protac EMS at that time. Very useful for looking in the back corner or under the lowest shelf. One of the cooks was somewhat of a practical joker, and turned the light off on me one afternoon when I was in the cooler. I just pulled out my EMS and went about my business. When I came out of the cooler with my flashlight in my hand the expression on his face was priceless.

Good one! I own the Tube too and it's so easy to use and to charge as well using the same cable my Android phone, the micro-USB cable.

For better light I got a Manker T1

BushcrafterAU

Newly Enlightened

I have an S1R I really like... it's around the same size but is 900 lumens on Turbo S. It also is easy to Charge as you just clip the magnetic charger to the base of the light. Some people seem to be worried about the contacts on the tail cap short-circuiting but to be honest I haven't found them to be a problem.

Last edited:

Kitchener

Newly Enlightened
Great suggestions, all of them. I will throw in zebralight as another option, many flavours, would pick 18650 fed as they are super compact anyway. Might as well benefit from a bigger fuel tank imho

Ha, I appreciate your broad base of comparison in your pic! Among the 18650-based pocket EDCs, who's doing the best job with size and ease of charging?

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Most of my lights Kitchener dont have built in USB(certainly 18650 or smaller anyway), so all around the same. What i do notice is amount of times i am swapping out/charging cells. Now i am not one to run them down into the low 3's(volts), so i do top off regular so i have a full tank ready to go(usually when i subconsciously know i am getting bellow 4v and towards the 3.8v level). With 16340 type cells, it of course is a lot more regular.

There a advantages to each different light, the HDS rotary UI is fantastic, 200lm is ample for 95-99% of EDC uses...................unless you EDC and spot wildlife at 500yds anyway. Most uses maybe well under 100lm on the rotary, so fuel life from those tiny 550-700mah cells is better than other choices. Its a weighty light(tank after all), so depending on how many factors , it can make one of the best EDC lights on the planet, or too heavy for some. The zebralights are of similar size, yet lighter, potted, clever programmable UI(as with the HDS which is also programmable). Low levels, sub lumen of that is a desire, yet zebral dependent, up to 2500lm at your disposal.

For me it tends to be smoother(easy pocket extraction), 1/2 decent clip for anti roll when placed down(of course bezel down counters roll issues, but can topple over if caught). Its tough to pick one, there are little wins for each and every one over the other, be it cost(as in savings) , quality and presence in hand, to output and to being fuel tank frugal. Also as painful as loosing a $100 light is, loosing a $400 or $700 one could mean locking one self away in a padded room for a week or two......................for me anyway lol.

What i would advise is a couple or even 3 lights as options, not only to vary your choices in colour temps, UI and fuel tanks. But in case one is lost, or simply you want to use a different light for a week or month.
The haiku is a triple 219b 4500k, maybe 700-800lm . The far right end is an xp-g2 de-dome quad 3000-3500lm. In between is xhp35 HI and 219c 4000k, luxeon T 85 cri 5000k..................so all a little different to go at which i like.

ven

Flashaholic
Good info. Your point about weight with the HDS is definitely a consideration I hadn't thought about.

There is a pass around right now on the rotary, i highly recommend putting yourself forward. I will say its one of the best(yep read into that what ever any one wants) lights on the planet. Not the brightest, not the cheapest, in fact its probably not best at any single factor. But all factors together, most it excels in. The UI(some prefer clicky, the rotary can also be used as a clicky), is awesome, the low lumen numbers mean jack diddly in real life EDC applications................if anything i hardly ever use the max 200lm(which is probably a respected Chinese manufacturers 400lm................my opinion and not fact). There are so many factors other than lumen figures, reflector is one of them. Depth for focus etc, where as the HDS is relatively deep for its size, it throws out a very nice all rounder type beam(good close to moderate range tasks).

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?448296-HDS-EDC-Rotary-Pass-Around

I dare you:poke:

;)

Weight is always a tough one, whats heavy for me, might be light for the next person. Hogo does some pretty outstanding holsters for side carry etc if that is a preference. There are maybe 21 threads now(100's of pages long over the years)from avid fans. Police, mechanics, pilots, doctors and even people like P :p

On the weight side of things, summer time i tend to drop a size in light, even AAA form or 10180 types(always have latter on car keys anyway ,also work keys). I tend to wear combat type pants with a 101 pockets as i have keys, phone, other stuff like a wallet. So i dont tend to wear a coat, winter its big bubble winter mountain expedition coat.....................can be a treacherous walk to the corner shop!So EDCing any of the pictured above, inside pocket is a none issue for me.

So lots of variables, for example, other than headlamp, i EDC a z2 or 6p in work(pants pocket along with works keys with a little 10180 light).
7honltpl.jpg

Some of the work lights
CCvkUgol.jpg

eAbG2aZl.jpg

Special occasions..................
cTIJ9C4l.jpg

I like to mix things up, so take the classic surefire E1e and mix it with a modern tana triple 219b . Compact little hi cri pocket light, fed on 16340 fuel with personality!
uOPSWfYl.jpg

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
When it comes to edc items, some people are more sensitive to weight than others. For the past several months, I've been carrying two HDS lights in the same pocket. I hardly notice them. Still, it is true that the HDS is heavier than many competing designs. For me, the heft of an HDS is a sign of its quality. This is not a criticism of any particular brand, but sometimes things are light weight because they are cheaply made.

Kitchener

Newly Enlightened
Good tip on the pass-around! Something tells me I'll have bought something by the time the round robin hits sunny Delaware.

Last edited:

Latest posts