• Surefire U2

Votes: 39 59.1%
  • Fenix L2D CE

Votes: 27 40.9%

• Total voters

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mactrix said:
Hmm I like the fenix because it carries 2AA's. On Max what more powerful U2 or L2D?

That depends a bit since both the Fenix and the U2 will vary in brightness depending on how good an emitter is in each light. My U2 is slightly brighter than a P1D-CE which is about the same brightness as a L2D. On avrage a L2D should be slightly brighter than a U2.

Even though I love my U2 I would not buy one at retail price today considering new Surefires with Crees are coming soon (summer) and NovaTac are also releasing lights this spring that I think are better value for the money.

A very good choice would also be buying a Surefire L1 modded with a Seoul emitter by Milkyspit: Gives you a bright small light with 2 well thought out light levels and a good switch.

Sverre

mdocod

Flashaholic
with any luck, eventually there will be a 4chip version of the cree emitters (probably made by Seoul, as most of their other product line evolved to having multi-chips per emitters)...This would allow a LuxV style beam (nice wide flood of light) with a LOT more output and efficiency in the same package.

I'm not saying it will happen, but I think within a few years it is highly likely, and it might be a smarter idea to hold out on something in the price range of a U2 until said technology is available.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Mactrix and welcome to CPF:)

The poll is not objective.

All depends on your tasks. The beams of the mentioned lights are all different.
Also the discussions of brightness.
No question, the new Led's (Cree/SSC) are more efficient but they must not be brighter than a LuxeonV, because it depends on the driving current.
The used Cree's in the lights which are available today are not as bright as a LuxV W-bin's, driven at specs, that's my experiences. Perhaps that's subjective because I can't measure the Lumens output, but for my eyes and the eyes of friends of mine.
Also there is a big difference in overall brightness and Throw. I have build a light with an Aspherical lens, which is very bright in the hotspot (used a Cree and its brighter than a Fenix P1D-CE due to the higher driving level). It throws easily 100m, but the overall output is weaker than my LuxV lights.
The SSC's, driven at about 1,2A are about the same brightness, but which stock light drives the Led so hard?
No Lumapower, Lumahunter........

So at the end, each light is its own package which individual tasks. My Fenix P1D-CE is a nice light, but build for other tasks than my LuxV lights.

When you like the U2, buy it, it will fullfil its tasks.
Also the Fenix lights or other brands, they are build for different tasks.

Best regards

____
Tom

JJH

Newly Enlightened
I think I will vote for the U2. I am brand new to the world of fine flashlights but I recently bought a Surefire A2 and I am so impressed with the quality of the light. From concept to execution and function it is all there and makes it worth the price of admission. I have a woodshop and my policy is never to skimp on tools. I feel a real appreciation of fine tools---there is so much that goes into their existence---all of the fine thought-out engineering that makes using them a joy and then one does a better job. Sometimes I buy things that in the long run I don't need, and I don't believe in being a collector of tools---they should be used and not set on shelves---so they get sold and a great tools always brings a good price in the second-hand market.

Raptor#

Newly Enlightened
IMHO it depends. U2 and L2D aren't really the same price class... if you plan to edc the light in your pockets, clearly L2D. With holster carry it probably won't matter that much.

One thing that should be noted, while the L2D clearly is the champion in efficency, costs, convience and total brightness, the U2 has a lower low (L2D has ~12 lumens low vs the U2's ~3 lumens low).
So keep that in mind, if you often need a really low low.
(Of course, you could also use a Photon Freedom for those low-light tasks.)

If you don't mind the size, costs and lack of strobe/SOS, go with a Seoul-modded U2. :)
If you don't want to get ur flashlight modded... i'd say get the L2D. Since this poll is about unmodded flashlights, I'll give my vote to the L2D.

clipse

Enlightened
My L2d CE is keeping me from getting a U2. (and my budget) :D The L2D CE is just an awesome flashlight. Still, it can't compare to the quality and durability of a good surefire. :)

Gary123

Enlightened
You might also check out the Huntlight FT-01x with the Cree. You can see on here:

http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2491

It has five output levels, plus the useal garbage strobe and sos. Its very rugged, has excellent heat sinking and puts out a maximum of around 130 lumens. The shape of the beam is not particularly refined, but this is not a problem in actual use. This is a very useable light. I use it quite a bit.

Mactrix

Newly Enlightened
Looks like I will get an L2D. Brighter, Longer lasting and AA batteries!

Quick questions how do you chnages modes on the L2D. From low ot high etc

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
normal mode (head loose): click and release: on, low
tap once: med
tap twice: high (same current draw than max) right, was typing about the L1D, Sorry
tap another time: SOS mode
tap another time: starts with low

turbo mode (head turned in):
click and release: max
tap: dazzle
tap: max

at any level:
full click: off

PS: I got the usual loose head resistance problem (as with T models) and thus put a paper-"ring" into the head. Thus it is screwed in now, but not turning into turbo mode.
PS: You might be interested in this tread here:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=152584

Last edited:

Gator762

Enlightened
Actually I think yellow is talking about the L1D CE, there is little perceived difference between high and max. He is correct about changing different modes.

For the L2D CE it is a very noticeable difference.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
To be fair, the poll should be whether to buy a U2 or 5 x Fenix L2D-CEs. One for you, one for backup, one for your significant other to get brownie points, one for some other (presumable) girl who maybe you'd like to take notice of you, and one to send to Rihanna on the chance she might send you some concert tickets in return.

My point is, there should be no comparisons without considering cost if you're actually going to pay for something. Otherwise, someone would be saying how 10,000 lottery tickets would be better to get than a $100 savings bond.

If someone else were paying, that's different. (Yeah, I'll take the McClaren F1 instead of the Honda Civic)...

Last edited:

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sold off my U2. Lots of people had problems with the tailcap on the U2. I had problems with the selector ring on mine and it took Surefire 3 months to fix it. Many people also complained of tint or the infamous donut hole. Just not worth the price in my opinion and that was before Crees came out.

:thumbsdow

xiaowenzu

Banned
Definitely buy the Surefire U2. It's without a doubt much brighter and floodier than the L2D. (It's even brighter than the Fenix P1DCE!)

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/157601&page=1&pp=30

And the U.I ability to select your desired light level BEFORE switching on the light, simply cannot be beaten. In this regard it's the best flashlight out there. The Surefire quality and warranty is even more compelling reason to buy. Couple the U2 with some rechargeable cells and you've got an almost perfect light. ;)

P.S I think the L2D is a bit long in the tooth - too skinny for my liking. It's also a reverse clicky too - :whistle:OUCH! Plus that fact that the L2D doesn't have a momentary/signalling function is THE deal breaker for me.

Last edited:

EV_007

Enlightened
I agree, the ability to switch light levels and while turning it off and then on with that same level dialed in is a huge plus. I like to set mine at the lowest level, then I dial it up as needed. I'm able to operate it with one hand.

The slight "donut" is there, but the beam is clean white and the constructin is rock solid. I'm traditionally an "Incan" guy, but the U2 meets my backup requirements for a long running, rugged light source.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the light the poll is about the L2D, not the L0D. It's a bit weird to compare a SINGLE AAA light to a 2xCR123 light, even a 2xAA light compared to a 2xCR123 shouldnt be a fair comparison. And you can also chose the level of light on the L2D before turning it on, low or turbo (which is the level most people will chose 99% of the time when they need instant light.).

Enlightened
I find this thread very interesting. If you are truly bushwacking then I would go for something more rugged and bigger like the U2. True we are all on the quest for brightness but sometimes you have to fit the light to the task.
If I were patrolling the streets I'd pick the U2 although it would be much more expensive. It has the features I need and it's bigger.
I don't know why everyone is complaining about price.

Last edited:

xiaowenzu

Banned
021411 said:
I don't know why everyone is complaining about price.
I agree. Buying a flashlight is akin to buying a pair of shoes. You want quality.
I always say to myself, Why buy 7 cheap pairs of shoes when you can get 2 pairs of excellent quality? At the end of the day you'll be wearing/using it daily, and it essential that you feel it's quality.
IMO, I don't often buy flashlights, but when I do I want subperb quality for my money. :)