Single AAA clicky recommendations?

Brewer

Newly Enlightened
I have a bunch of AA lights, but I'm beginning to find AAA more useful for the other things I carry so I'm looking to standardize.

I don't need super-small or fiddly, nor a bunch of complicated programmable behaviours that I'll forget how to use. Single mode is fine, although a low reading level would be handy. Sick of twisties.

Neutral tint, spot is probably more useful than flood. For general EDC, pathfinding etc, mostly as a backup to larger more task-specific lights.

Stainless or similar finish is nice but not essential.

Wish I could find my first-generation Preon, but alas it has gone! :mecry:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Peak Eiger

EDIT ... sorry, that has a momentary plunger switch, not a true "clicky" , but is an excellent, simple, reliable and durable AAA torch, available in stainless too.

I'm not really sure why this category is so difficult to find good choices, but I also really like my (discontinued) UniVex AAA in titanium.

Last edited:

Brewer

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, will check those out.

Forgot to mention that a pocket clip would be handy too, it will share a belt pouch with a multitool so it would be good to keep it in place when I'm using the tool.

I'm not really sure why this category is so difficult to find good choices

I find more and more things using AAA's rather than AA's these days. With improving technology in both batteries and LEDs lets hope we see some growth!

Wendee

Enlightened
My favourite AAA clicky is the Lumintop Copper Tool with Nichia. It's a bit longer than some other AAA clickies (like the Tool Ti) but it's still my favourite, despite the extra bit of length. It has three useful output levels, an easy UI, a pocket clip and of course a great NW tint with hi-CRI.
If you decide on this light, watch for sales. I bought mine on sale half price and I just bought a few to give a Christmas gifts after I found them even cheaper than that. :)

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Streamlight Microstream is a good single AAA light, with a forward clicky and a two-way clip. The output is about 25 lumens, so you are looking at lighting things up out to about 25ft. I use mine when I am fiddling around inside my PC case, and it works great. It is not so bright at close range that it blinds you, yet it still reaches out in the dark. I have one of those HPS all night pole lights about 100' from my apartment door, and when walking towards that light I can still see the beam of the Microstream for about 25'. And at around $20, it's a very good value in my opinion.

PS: I use a lithium AAA and get about 4 hours of use.

revscott

Newly Enlightened
Streamlight Protac 1AAA is also worth a look. It has a tail clicky with momentary function, and a pocket clip. You can program it to be high only, high/low, or high/strobe/low.

raynman

Newly Enlightened
I would like to second (or third??) the recs for the lumintop tool. I have had the black anodized with clicky tail switch for some time now - a very nice and BRIGHT light for AAA - saw it recently for $12 and for that you can't go wrong. Mine has been through the wash and dry twice (the perils of small pocket size lights) but still works flawlessly. I recently bought the tool ti (with Nichia high CRI LED) - this is a VERY nice light but a bit pricey, and I like the UI a bit better on the ti version (starts on low)

Brewer

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the tips. I've ordered a copper/nichia Tool, but I'll probably get something else as well.

The main thing that put me off the Ti verson was the not-quite-a-clicky switch - I had a Nitecore AA with a plunger type mechanism and it failed after a couple of years of light use. Not crazy about all these clever new switch mechanisms - I'd much rather a proper mechanical clicky of decent quality. One that actually clicks.

Does the New Preon have the same mechanical clicky as the original? I quite liked that mechanism, it was a bit 'sloppy' but smooth and it felt like it would last forever.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
The main thing that put me off the Ti verson was the not-quite-a-clicky switch
Congrats on joining the Copper Tool w Nichia Fa Club :)

The TiTool is considerably lighter in weight, but it is not a good choice for High mode use, as it only runs for 33 minutes until it fades to 40 lumens (50% of initial brightness), the copper tool lasts 50 minutes to 50% and it sheds heat much better. The TiTool overheats after 12 minutes on high and stops working according to maukka's post comparing the two.
the Ti overheats and starts flashing the output at 12 minutes. Copper works much better because of its higher mass and heat conductivity.

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Copper Lumintop Tool with the Nichia 219B option. Copper, which has wonderful character, High CRI with the 219B emitter, excellent and firm mechanical switch. Three simple modes, medium first which is ample for many tasks at close range. PWM free, and the output is regulated for most of the runtime, so it stays the same brightness till the end.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Copper Lumintop Tool with the Nichia 219B option…. the output is regulated for most of the runtime, so it stays the same brightness till the end.

good point, only the tiTool fades gradually, on high
r0oAQm0.png

both ti and Cu run flat to sudden death, on medium
XH2ePx2.png

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Should also mention the Ti tool e-switch sucks, erratic behavior until charged and very prone to pocket activation. Also harder to switch modes.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Should also mention the Ti tool e-switch sucks, erratic behavior until charged and very prone to pocket activation. Also harder to switch modes.
friendly exploration of pros and cons:
the TiTool electronic switch is flush and allows tailstanding. The Ti switch is almost silent, while the mechanical switch is quite loud. The TiTool has no half press mode, which I always get wrong on the mechanical switch, causing double mode switching.

The Tiswitch wont work on high mode unless its capacitor is charged, so storing it without a battery means a delay before High mode works. But its a capacitor, not a battery, so not really a part that will wear out. In practice, keeping a battery in the light, the switch works very reliably and has a nice positive click feedback feel and short travel.

I cannot work the tiTool switch w my thumb, I have to use the tip of my index because the target is smaller, and flush, so quite difficult to turn on my mistake imo. In the dark it is hard to tell which end of the tiTool is the switch, on the mechanical tool its obvious.

the TiTool is a much lighter package and has a keyring attachment that I really like, much more than the one on the mechanical Tool. Titanium weighs less but has no antimicrobial properties. On copper, germs die within 90 minutes, it is self sterilizing, but much heavier.

truth
I traded away my TiTool, and ordered another Copper Tool. The TiTool got hot enough for the brass ring at the head to be uncomfortable to touch after 5 minutes on high, the copper was more evenly warm all over, and no part was too hot. The TiTool stays cool at the tail and concentrates heat in the head.

for me at the moment, the Copper Tool w Nichia is currently the light that meets the largest number of my priority criteria in an AAA flashlight:

High CRI
No PWM
Pocket clip that works on a hat
Low mode near 1 lumen
Medium mode near 20 lumen
I like that the tool starts on Medium, it is my most used mode
I also like the ReyLight Tool that starts on Low, for nightstand use, so I dont have to go through medium.

If someone wanted a Tool today that started on Low, the only in stock option is the ReyLight TiTool (unless you PM me and want one of my ReyLight Coppers.. but it will cost you :))

Since Im a Nichia fan, for people wanting a Nichia option, though not AAA, of similar size, the Nitecore TipCRI deserves honorable mention. Not perfect, but has a Lot going for it. The Tip is wider than the Tool, but shorter and it weighs less. It wont run as long between charges, but its high is brighter. And the Tip has a built in mini usb charger.

size reference, Olight i3s and Tip
aprcFgW.jpg

size reference AAA Maratac (same height as Olight), TiTool, CuTool, L11c (AA)
yQA91OgAFGMFhG4Lus-ycO3AiL-FIf2f9XVCSjixUKfhuWHdXQxFldHd9hD6OItpfWAvQU6NKH1nejkozu5AbOWVrMYaQ_a8UW3SWTKSYpyLOpr-jrzq4vpV2uPmbOTw0nOD9nPXfh2BQsppK1AW8YyV3BycD8tgV-3cy1SLHSNwsEg5FnIJ0O-xaHVoeEF6IZV0RF4HVR1weNomR_S3X7Wq0OLqcUCR7guB9Fq0XEi87amNBO__KGLlkkeY-AnPjxGrc6fBwNcQBfUkfOa2tuEWUq8v5V9v9NGGgZ_y6zC2ImIbwHxw390zBkdWpfJ-rHLVWLVU3UqZ34HohwNSket-Yk6uvEMPkkYjFvOTpgopMzkH55hQn0HdadpP75kI1OsCn_gd_tASTRpzw8FPU9oqRokH-CMFs3XV_T3lAJ5HxzP2KG4DKQOwoCErHrf7J3yduGcTVv1wTbuIpVraJmyf2RoE1eXOmQitzSv2g3R76YF9ipCUzrw48hPb-Li_Xvk_0bqmZCdBiqfpvNWNpsON0xj38tngoWNqiwkuUw_VqRPaL-cRhuNgzPO7pDPQ5Y_bi-r7cLe6_f28vmOGAEuOYUaHjiCG1ytzRD-3QHdKowWm=w1184-h888-no

Last edited: