SMJLED PR2 - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

EvilLithiumMan

Enlightened
I'm combining numerous topics about the SMJLED PR2 in this post. Anyone who wishes to add anything is invited to do so.

The Good

The SMJLED PR2 has improved, (in brightness, quality and battery life) just about every 2 cell host I have tried. Even if you are not prone to any kind of modding, you should still have one or two handy to replace a burned out PR2 incandesant. And they are great for kid's lights too. If junior falls asleep with the light on, chances are it will still be burning brightly when you find it.

Great results with a Garrity Tuff Light and a MagLite. Good results with the Rayovac Industrial and the Eveready Contractor. As with any reflector, larger and deeper yield better results. The Rayovac reflector is somewhat shallow and it's too bad there isn't a glass lens availble. I'm sure the thick plastic one is holding back some light. Ironically, the facetted pattern of the Rayovac provided the smoothest and roundest hotspot.

Although I can't prove it, because I don't have both lights, I still think the Eveready Contractor is identical to the Walmart 84 cent special. I took a file and trimmed down the ribs:

tube.jpg

This allows for not only CR123 cells, but 18650 Li-Ion as well:

tube2.jpg

Which is my segue to ...

The Bad

So what happens when you power the SMJLED from 4.15 volts, a Li-Ion cell hot from the charger? You are rewarded with an incredibly brilliant beam. Which draws 525ma. And lasts about 90 seconds :( (Like it was surprise) But I just had to know. I haven't done any extensive current measurements yet. But in general, here is what I've found:

3.2 volts, typical new cells, alkaline or carbon zinc - 240 to 260ma
3.0 volts - 180ma
2.7 volts - 120ma
2.5 volts - 80ma
2.2 volts - 32ma (Way too dim here. I feel 2.5 volts is about where I would replace / recharge cells)

I haven't been able to locate a manufacturer's data sheet, but it seems that 80 to 100ma is used as the nominal current for these devices.

At these low (lower than a normal incandesant) loads, I was wondering if I couldn't hooble together a light that would last a full week, 168 hours, at nominal brightness. (I'm just talking about what, 10 to 15 lumens? Something a MagLite 2D would provide) I looked up the capacity of an Energizer 6 volt lantern battery. It is given as 26000mah. Wow, a 130ma load should theoretically last 200 hours. Knowing that a 6 volt lantern battery consists of four 'F' cells, couldn't I take two 'F' cells, which are a '3/2 D size', and put them in a MagLite 3D? I went to Walmart and got their lowest cost lantern battery, a Rayovac $2.97 cabon zinc, and tore into it like a chimpanzee into a cupcake. Which is the segue for ...

The Ugly

The plastic case looks nice on the outside. But on the inside:

F1.jpg

Nothing sophisticated here. Uninsulated cans, with interconnect wires attached with a huge blob of solder And look at the huge ding one cell had:

F2.jpg

But they all measured fine on a voltmeter. And what about the length? Well, the camera's perspective isn't quite perfect, but yes indeed, 2 x 3/2 does equal 3:

F3.jpg

The carbon zinc cells have been powering the SMJLED PR2 for 36 hours now. Voltage at 2.6 and current at 104ma. I'm not sure that translates into Energizer cells going for a full week. Perhaps only 3 to 4 days.

What's next on my SMJLED agenda? I think I'll pop one into my Rayovac 6v lantern, making sure I have only three volts powering it. It has a very large reflector and should do well. And I think I'll see how long (or if) the SMJLED PR2 can handle 300ma. Might be fun to get a 300ma Badboy converter and build a regulated light.

Well, to parapharse, if not down right hijack, another member's tag line:

"Sorry for the long post. I didn't have the time to do a short one."

leduk

Enlightened
Damn you, damn you and damn you thrice.

I'm already looking for a suitable AA host to convert into the 123A stunner.
Now I've got to go and get a 3D as well.

Hey, if you slice the 6V lantern case carefully could you rig a 2*2cell parallel 3V lantern battery. Epoxy it shut again?

I'm off shopping tomorrow.

Cheers.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent update EvilLithiuman. Had to chuckle at the 90 seconds life at 4.15 Volts. I wondered about a Li-Ion driving the SMJLED PR bulb and I thank you for the info. Ah, sigh....

BTW, I put 2x3.7V Li-Ion CR123s into a cut off 84 cent light with a MagLite Xenon Star 5D bulb as an alternative use of CR123s in that light. It ran REAL bright for 3 min 20 seconds before it melted the reflector. Makes a dandy pocket light alternative for one of these lights.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have my SMJs mostly in 2AA hosts like the 84 cent light from Walmart. One in a 2D Rayovac.

I won't go so far as to say they equal a 1W. But in the lights I have them in, they are SO useful. None of these lights throw. But they are perfect for most tasks!

I do find slight tint variations in the 7 I have, but nothing drastic. A couple seem slightly brighter too, but could be my imagination.

ALSO probably my imagination, but one SEEMS brighter on 2 fresh Alk AA than on two slightly used Lith AAs....

But around the house my Lith AAs mostly run 2 cell Xenon bulbs or Craftsman 1W bulbs. The exception is a Streamlight 3C XP that runs a little brighter with three Lith AA than 3C alk. OH MAN was this last paragragh OFF TOPIC!!!

leduk

Enlightened
Yes, the 6V lantern battery can be converted to 3V by running 2 sets of 2 cells in parallel. Just don't do what I do an sit there with the cells shorting out and my multimeter reading zero when I was expecting 1.67V!!!!!!

When the cases touch and you've still got it wired together its probably shorting out.

Doh!:shakehead

Anyway that's 26,000 mAh in my handheld lantern. The battery was 89p.

Thanks to EvilLithiumMan

Cheers.

EDIT>

p.s. Don't forget to check the polarity, the central contact is negative and if your lamp is like mine you'll need to change that to be positive.

p.p.s. Do do all this before you epoxy the B^%$£$D thing back up.

<END EDIT

Last edited:

EvilLithiumMan

Enlightened
leduk said:
Anyway that's 26,000 mAh in my handheld lantern.

Ah Grasshopper, you are one sharp cookie. Is that 26000mah before or after you paralleled them? The Energizer 6V alkaline is rated at 26000, so parallel wiring of the cells would give 3V at 52000mah.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
and at what load is that 26000mah measured? At higher loads batteries give up less of their power, so with them in parallel you half the power from each cell... So half the load from this little bulb, what 50ma or so? It MIGHT even give more power.

leduk

Enlightened
Aha,

I think we've all been a bit hasty.

FLR quotes 26,000 for "F" Alkalines.
Energizer for Super Heavy Duty says 10,500.
I've got a cheery SHD.

So double it up for the parallel and I think we get 21,000.
At ~200mA should give over 100 hours.

From the datasheet through 33 ohms (180mA) gives 50 hours runtime(intermittent). Now since we've doubled up the capacity the runtime will hopefully double up to 100 hours, confirmed (at reducing voltage)

If you can drop the current to about 100mA the datasheet says you'll get 210 hours from 12 hours a day. Time for a super dim Super MJLED.

Costs:
Torch £4.00
Bulb £3.00
Batt £0.89

100 hour emergency lantern 7 hours/night = 2 weeks for 89p

Cheers.