So has anyone received their Vista Upgrade yet?

WNG

Enlightened
binky,
Download VLC media player, it'll play DVDs in XP.
It's freeware.
Can't assure it'll work with Vista though.

:D

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
WNG said:
binky,
Download VLC media player, it'll play DVDs in XP.
It's freeware.
Can't assure it'll work with Vista though.

:D

Thanks. I tried VLC but got the same symptom (sound no image) except it shows the main dvd menu. It doesn't seem to be incompatible with Vista, so that's a good thing. I bet someone with a normal machine could use it just fine.

(Pete searches for dvd decoder then contacts Dell support and notices that Win Media Player 11 will now play the dvd properly.)
OK. DVD problem solved. I don't know why it didn't work before and now it does. Maybe Media Player 11, which I downloaded recently, includes a dvd decoder itself, because I didn't download one manually. This thread pushed me to resolve the problem. Thanks.

Vista is definitely not as bad as the ME disaster. Plus, ME never really got fixed, did it? I think Vista has a lot of potential, and supposedly there's tons of new code under the hood. I think it's just not quite ready for prime time in some areas, but it's not as though the basics like plug & play blue-screens or just doesn't work and you can't get sharing to work and you'll be SOL until you buy an upgrade. It's just some quirks here & there and I'm sure MS will improve it at no charge like with a honkin' big service pack but that's way down the road. And I bet there'll be a rebellion among the business folks that BitLocker should be included in the Business edition not just Ultimate. That's hard to understand why you gotta buy & load the moviemaking & junk just to get the security you'd want for every business laptop. Duh.

All part of the process, I think. Not that I like the process, but I can understand why it is the way it is -- they had to get it out the door.

The basic software & printing works, mostly everything works. The problems reported are with the fancier parts like games and stuff.

Still, I'm using it because I have to try it out. It has its quirks.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought a new Dell laptop with Vista. So far no problems. A friend of mine a little over a month ago bought a new desk top that came with Vista. He had trouble with his internet service provider working properly with Vista, but it prompted him to dump his dial up and get a high speed connection. I decided to do the same thing with my new laptop. I'm just waiting for the modem, self install kit and wireless router to arrive.

sawlight

Enlightened
Al o this reminds me why I hate Microsoft so much!! I'm running XP SP2 on both home computers, doesn't crash as often as it could and fortunatly, it's not a big deal when it does, but it's annoying.
My next one will be a Mac as well, MS has gotten too big for there britches and cant make what they have out work!!
On a side note, all of this talk of naty O/S installs jarred my memory. Any of you remeber when IBM came out with O/S2? Talk about a nightmare, made me want to go and kiss Bill Gates!

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a Dell (4GB RAM, Core 2 Duo it's got the horsepower yadayadayada) with Vista on it. Tried it for a week then wiped the drive clean and installed XP Pro. It's not ready for prime time for me. Too many issues with existing software I own and like all initial M$ releases, it's better to wait for Service Pack 2. It's slow as molasses also. Didn't need the downgrade to Vista from XP so off it went.

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenstuffs said:
I'll keep the copy and install it after 18 months once the OS gets more mature and may be a new system along with more powerful graphic card, 4 Gb of ram quad core just to run Vista without stutter.

Which is really unecessary on Windows' part regarding Vista. They've bloated it on purpose.

Wanna see what I can run on an old machine that may have been tops way back in the days of 2000-2001 with a 90MB Radeon AGP graphics card?

Watch this demo of Beryl for Linux vs Microsoft's Aero:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=xC5uEe5OzNQ

There is no comparison whatsoever. Beryl KILLS Aero. (Did I mention it's also free?) And as I've said, I ran Beryl on a machine that's over 6 years old with 512MB SDRAM which is overkill for the board with only a 100Mhz front side bus. Way outdated by today's standards. Would that same machine run Vista? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Guys/Gals, people pay 2-3 bucks for a bottle of aspirin to cure a headache, don't go spending $150.00 and up to create one.

Vista is heading for the scrap-heap in 2009 anyways. Microsoft has already confirmed this.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well my free upgrade arrived last Friday, I installed it on Sunday, and I plan to put XP MCE back tonight.
Vista wasn't bad but the constant security notices were annoying.
It sure is a quick install though. 20 minutes from clean hard drive to done. I think that's the quickest MS install to date.
I also got a few weird error messages relating to my video card but that was after I installed the driver from the manufacturer. With the stock Vista driver I saw no difference and I got no errors but it really wasn't installed long enough to tell.
Similar with the sound card driver. I installed the manufacturer driver and ended up with two volume controls in the notification area. Both worked but why have two when the stock driver worked just as well?
AVG virus worked just fine as did Diskeeper 2007.
My DVD copying software refused to run under Vista but that's the only thing I noticed.
Home networking worked but it didn't seem happy connecting to my other XP computers. Took them forever to show up when browsing the network.
And all file operations seemed slow in general but it looks like this is a known common problem.
Bye bye Vista.

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I personally know two people who tried Vista, then rolled back to XP or 2K. I'm in no rush to pay for the privlige of being another beta tester.

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got it for an emachines desktop I bougt at Christmas. It was the Home Premium. I only got it because they owed me an upgrade from the purchase. It's going to stay XP for a while.....or more than a while. I just don't like things being introduced as new just to say it is something new. especially if you end up losing in the process.