Spartanian II, new UI. [video added] One Ring Controls All. 16340 mini size

marschw

Newly Enlightened
I just noticed this thread for the first time today. I like the idea of a spring-loaded ring to control the various modes, especially if it can be easily operated with a thumb. However, I am not generally a fan of stateful controls like this. That is to say, I prefer controls that do exactly the same thing every time you press them, regardless of what mode the flashlight is currently in; if different actions must be stacked into one button, I prefer that they be simple and closely-related. (For example, I am fine with the same button being used to power the light on and to power the light off).

Does anybody know of a light with a spring-loaded ring like the Spartanian II, but with more than 2 positions for the ring to lock in to? For example, there could be an arrow on the ring which you would line up with markings on the body (e.g. "off", "low", "high", "strobe", etc.) to set the current mode. Thus, you could see immediately which mode it's in (particularly useful on a driver with many modes -- e.g. "did I leave it on 90% or 100%?"), and it would pass Theatre Booth Guy's "loan it out" test.

I'm no electronics expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I suspect this would also make for cheaper electronics, since the modes could likely be implemented without a microcontroller, since the ring would essentially be a switch with many positions of throw, rather than a momentary (on)/off/(on).

BTW, to be clear, I don't mean the above as criticism of the Spartanian II -- its design just got me thinking about rings as a flashlight's UI.

adnj

Enlightened
I like the idea of the ring rather carrying a twisty. I would like a threaded hole with a plug as place to add a thumb stud. I would also need a pocket clip so that I can carry it. The diameter seema bit large though.

Amonra

Enlightened
it is the first time i saw this thread but as a dive light designer the first thing that came to mind was:

how water tight can it be ?

i mean, if it had o-rings on the ring it would not be so easy to operate as o-rings cause a lot of friction and o-rings are the safest protection. so i'm assuming that it is not very watertight unless a very clever method is adopted in this one.

I may be wrong buy it may not be very reliable

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, no criticism intended here but, I don't think this was/is intended to be a dive light and while water-resistance certainly is an important attribute, that may not be what the designer had in mind. On the other hand, as you said, maybe there is some hidden clever way that this light has some water resistance which we have not yet seen...:thinking: I think the concept is a great one though and I'm not sure I remember any other similar designs in my CPF "travels"....

Karl

Amonra

Enlightened
I know it was not intended to be a dive light and i did not expect it to be, i just mentioned it because it is the way i think and the first thing that came to mind.

However, as you mentioned water resistance and/or sealing from the environment ( dust, etc.. ) is an important attribute and a big contribution to the reliability of the light especially with this kind of switching mechanism.

Dont get me wrong it is a nice and original concept but i hope that the above has been taken into consideration and part of what the designer had in mind as it would otherwise greatly depreciate the value of the idea.

If you look around there is no light that is not sealed from the environment by at least one o-ring.

I am just making a point for the designer to consider, unless he already has.

cheetokhan

Enlightened
Does anybody know of a light with a spring-loaded ring like the Spartanian II, but with more than 2 positions for the ring to lock in to? For example, there could be an arrow on the ring which you would line up with markings on the body (e.g. "off", "low", "high", "strobe", etc.) to set the current mode.

How about the Surefire UA2 Optimus?

OCDGearhead

Newly Enlightened
Re: An UI never used before. Spartanian 2, RC1 version, released. [Photos added].

Clickie, Twisty, and this Ring, Do you think the ring will be better than the other?
Hope to hear your opinions.
If you have any question about the UI,
Please note it here. THX.

I think the ring, as explained, is an excellent idea. It would be as intuitive as a clickie, but quicker to respond in the opposite direction (no need to finish cycliing up through a cycle to return to a lower level of brightness) and if executed properly, could provide a more satisfying tactile feel to some users. Maybe not the tactical light buyers, but for a higher end carry light, I think it would be great. But only if tight tolerances, a consistent feel and the right spring tension is used.

Great idea.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
"i mean, if it had o-rings on the ring it would not be so easy to operate as o-rings cause a lot of friction and o-rings are the safest protection. so i'm assuming that it is not very watertight unless a very clever method is adopted in this one.

I may be wrong buy it may not be very reliable"

---Amonra

Just seemed as a negative comment to me Amonra, despite how you may have meant it. I don't think there has been any mention if there are or aren't any o-rings. It's premature to make comments of this sort until we know what is what.

Yes, I agree, what is the latest. Clearly there will be many interested.

karl

neoseikan

Enlightened
Some news.

1) We are working on the samples production all these days.
2) Some new features added, the efficiency higher and the UI more reasonable.

neoseikan

Enlightened
News for Spartanian 2:
New samples are in the HA process now.
Driver Upgraded.
Left hand compatible.

News for Legion 2:

The optimized reflector sample in machining.