SR92 - Is it the best light in its size class?

berfles

Newly Enlightened
I've recently decided the SR92 isn't too enormous for what I need and therefore I want it. Are there any other comparable lights in output that are the same relative size? I've been trying to find an upgrade to my TK35 but nothing exists in that size so I figured I'd move a step up.

Also, are there any coupons floating around? I know I missed out on a 15% VD special that I'm kind of mad about.

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's the Fenix TK70 4xD powered Triple XM-L 106mm bezel diameter with some 2200 lumens, with more throw but less lateral spill.
The SR92 6x18650 Triple XM-L with a 100mm bezel diameter, for 1700 lumens and 425 meters of throw.

There's the Xtar S1 3x18650 Triple XM-L 83mm bezel, with about 1900 lumens and 470 meters of throw.
The Jetbeam RRT-3 2x18650 Triple XM-L 67mm bezel, with 1950 lumens and 346 meters of throw, but a wider spill.
Then, there the Nitecore TM11 4x18650 Triple XM-L only 135mm long and 60mm bezel diameter which has 2000 lumens and the least throw at 286 meters, but the widest lateral spill...

Last edited:

berfles

Newly Enlightened
Out of those, the only one that actually may seem a tad bit brighter is the TK70 and that's a mile long and not really to my liking. I've seen beamshots of the others the the SR92 still look brighter to me.

Ilikelite

Newly Enlightened
Then there is the elektrolumens 3 xml big bruiser for 150 that is rated over 2000 lumens (all flood but I believe a sst-90 version is available on request) and the dry 3 xml that is also over 2000 lumens. I believe it is around 75 bucks.

berfles

Newly Enlightened
Then there is the elektrolumens 3 xml big bruiser for 150 that is rated over 2000 lumens (all flood but I believe a sst-90 version is available on request) and the dry 3 xml that is also over 2000 lumens. I believe it is around 75 bucks.

I saw the Big Bruiser and was a little disappointed it was so floody... The SR92 seems to be the perfect blend that I want, but I didn't know an SST90 version of the BB was available, I'd have to see some beam shots first and it was hard enough getting people to post the regular version.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about the Varapower Turbo. It has incredible wow factor.

bedazzLED

Enlightened
Might be worth your wait for the new Thrunite TN30 (on the Thrunite site under sneek peek). Supposed to be coming out pretty soon. Triple XM-L, compact size, and supposedly around 2000 lumen. Looks pretty good. Also, isn't there a Catapult V4 coming out soon? More throw and around 1200 lumens?

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
There's the Fenix TK70 4xD powered Triple XM-L 106mm bezel diameter with some 2200 lumens, with more throw but less lateral spill.
The SR92 6x18650 Triple XM-L with a 100mm bezel diameter, for 1700 lumens and 425 meters of throw.

There's the Xtar S1 3x18650 Triple XM-L 83mm bezel, with about 1900 lumens and 470 meters of throw.
The Jetbeam RRT-3 2x18650 Triple XM-L 67mm bezel, with 1950 lumens and 346 meters of throw, but a wider spill.
Then, there the Nitecore TM11 4x18650 Triple XM-L only 135mm long and 60mm bezel diameter which has 2000 lumens and the least throw at 286 meters, but the widest lateral spill...

Isn't the RRT3 3x18650, rather than 2x18650?

berfles

Newly Enlightened
How about the Varapower Turbo. It has incredible wow factor.

Now that looks interesting, crushes the SR90 but it looks a tad too long for my liking... I'd need to see a comparison between that and the SR92 for overall size. I was also confused by all the options, de-doming, etc. but I just wok up so I'll take a closer look later.

Might be worth your wait for the new Thrunite TN30 (on the Thrunite site under sneek peek). Supposed to be coming out pretty soon. Triple XM-L, compact size, and supposedly around 2000 lumen. Looks pretty good. Also, isn't there a Catapult V4 coming out soon? More throw and around 1200 lumens?

Looking at the preview on their site, it doesn't seem to throw quite as well as the SR92 in the comparison. And I was never fond of the Catapults because they were much more of a thrower, not enough spill for me. So far the SR92 and the Varapower are the closest to the beam style I want, something that throws great and is floody at the same time. I don't need the best thrower, but I don't really want anything that throws less than the SR92.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Varapower Turbo Dedomed, this is the SST-90 emitter with the dome removed. Which generates maximum throw. Surprisingly the beam is quite wide and bright. I did not expect this for a monster thrower. I believe the beam shots that you have seen is the dome version. The dome is left intact, which reduces throw, but has more lumens than the Dedomed version.

It is perhaps a little longer than you would like, but I thought I would put it out there. It also has a variable control switch. It goes from very low to OMG :O

berfles

Newly Enlightened
I have the Varapower Turbo Dedomed, this is the SST-90 emitter with the dome removed. Which generates maximum throw. Surprisingly the beam is quite wide and bright. I did not expect this for a monster thrower. I believe the beam shots that you have seen is the dome version. The dome is left intact, which reduces throw, but has more lumens than the Dedomed version.

It is perhaps a little longer than you would like, but I thought I would put it out there. It also has a variable control switch. It goes from very low to OMG :O

Is this the domed or de-domed version?

DSCN0049.JPG

Whatever it is, it looks like it might throw a tad less than the SR90, but has more light overall.

DSCN0048.JPG

I'd really like to see it against the SR92 though.

Last edited:

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe that is the dome version without the extra heat-sink. The lux on my VPT is a staggering 200,000 lux. The Olight SR92 is 45,000lux. In terms of throw it's not even close.

berfles

Newly Enlightened
So there are basically two versions: Domed, and not domed? If that's the domed version I'll have to look around for more un-domed beamshots, because that looks fine to me. In this thread:

http://flashlightnews.net/forum/index.php?topic=2682.20

De-domed:

vpt4.jpg

Domed:

DSCF4004-600x425.jpg

The one without the dome looks better in every way, so I'd need to see more comparisons. Based on those two shots, I don't know why anyone would want the dome.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
It comes down to preference. I personally like the VPT without the dome.

berfles

Newly Enlightened
It comes down to preference. I personally like the VPT without the dome.

I read something like this, but then the above pictures don't make sense...

I tested various SST-90, SST-50, XM-L, with and without DOME.

Lux will increase 25%~~
Lumens drop 30~40%

For me personally the drop in lumens is just not worth it.

So 40% less lumens and yet it appears to light everything up more than the domed version in the comparison above... need more beam shots.

Check this thread out re. the diff. in the Big Bruiser XML x 3 vs the ST90. The seller said that there wasn't much more throw with the ST90 version in his opinion. This may help.

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...mens-Big-Bruiser-SST-90&p=4615148#post4615148

Thanks, I'll check it out right now.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
So there are basically two versions: Domed, and not domed? If that's the domed version I'll have to look around for more un-domed beamshots, because that looks fine to me. In this thread:

http://flashlightnews.net/forum/index.php?topic=2682.20

De-domed:

vpt4.jpg

Domed:

DSCF4004-600x425.jpg

The one without the dome looks better in every way, so I'd need to see more comparisons. Based on those two shots, I don't know why anyone would want the dome.

What you are looking at is the immense power of lux over lumens. This is why I like high output throwers. I may add the Fenix TK70 to my shopping list.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
While de-doming looses lumens the human eye can trick you in thinking otherwise due to the more throwy beam. The SST-90 I had would look warm like 5000K once dedomed, amps go up, and the light just seemed to get hotter faster on the high modes.

Lamdalights is building my VPT in 6500K tint now. I'm going to use the DealExtreme 72mm Aspheric for that wow throw, but will keep the SMO reflector on it most of the time

BigC

Last edited:

JudasD

Enlightened
While de-doming looses lumens the human eye can trick you in thinking otherwise due to the more throwy beam. The SST-90 I had would look warm like 5000K once dedomed, amps go up, and the light just seemed to get hotter faster on the high modes.

Lamdalights is building my VPT in 6500K tint now. I'm going to use the DealExtreme 72mm Aspheric for that wow throw, but will keep the SMO reflector on it most of the time

BigC

I am very curious how this is going to turn out. Please post pictures or a write up when you have some results. I may go this route as well since i also kept mine domed.

JD