SST-50 EDC Light 3rd Run *All Shipped*

737mech

Enlightened
I recieved my titanium light today. It was well worth the wait. The pictures really don't do it justice. This is just a fine piece of craftsmanship. I think the 16340 cell is the perfect platform for this as an EDC. I was thinking an 18650 would be cool but that was before seeing this light in person. That bigger cell would definately take away the small form factor of this pretty light. I almost feel guilty of actually using this light as my EDC because I dont want to scartch it! OK Mac now get busy on those drop-ins :poke:

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the comments guys :)

737 I'm with you.......the reason why I have not put the 18650 body on my top "to do" list is I do not think it will compliment the light. I think it would be too big of a battery tube. An 18650 Turbo head version may be a better route to go.

Mac

Flyflash

Newly Enlightened
737 I'm with you.......the reason why I have not put the 18650 body on my top "to do" list is I do not think it will compliment the light. I think it would be too big of a battery tube. An 18650 Turbo head version may be a better route to go.

Mac

Mine came in the mail today... BEAUTIFUL! Yup, you are probably right, the 18650 tube would take away some of the great form factor of this light. That still would not stop me from buying an 18650 tube if you decide to make a run. There are times when that bigger battery sure would be nice!

Great light!:thumbsup:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Just a hastily taken picture of the SST-50 EDC along side the E1B and LX2. Good for size comparison. Yes, it's small for a SST-50 light at 2.8A.

MacCustomsSST-50EDCpwithE1B.jpg

irv_usc

Enlightened
Thanks for the comments guys :)

Mac

my Ti arrived last yesterday also. couldn't wait to rip open the box and toss the battery in.

the beam is pretty much perfect, with a decent amount of flood and a smooth hotspot. the 4500k option i got is great for color rendition while still keeping a 'white' beam. pretty close in color to my P7 mag DSWOJ.

i'd agree with not putting an 18650 body on this head. that would make a completely different light.

senna94

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my Ti version yesterday and am very pleased with the craftsmanship,beam and tint of this beauty. I tried a protected AW RCR123 cell and an IMR cell and got the same readings on my Greenlee light meter. Someone please enlighten me. I just want to make sure I have the 3 mode IMR version that I ordered. While my light meter readings may not say much they do give me an accurate percentage of the total output at each level. Here is what I got using either the protected and also with the IMR cell. Level 1 gives me 12.5 % of the total output. Level 2 is 50% of the total maximum output. Finally and obviously level 3 is 100% of maximum output. Do these percentages seem correct for the 3 level (2800 mah IMR) version. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

octaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got the light safe.
Thanks MAC for beautiful work. :thumbsup:

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received my Ti version yesterday and am very pleased with the craftsmanship,beam and tint of this beauty. I tried a protected AW RCR123 cell and an IMR cell and got the same readings on my Greenlee light meter. Someone please enlighten me. I just want to make sure I have the 3 mode IMR version that I ordered. While my light meter readings may not say much they do give me an accurate percentage of the total output at each level. Here is what I got using either the protected and also with the IMR cell. Level 1 gives me 12.5 % of the total output. Level 2 is 50% of the total maximum output. Finally and obviously level 3 is 100% of maximum output. Do these percentages seem correct for the 3 level (2800 mah IMR) version. Thanks in advance.

I'm not following your logic why would you have different light output going from an IMR cell to a Regular R123? The reason behind going with the IMR cell is that the IMR cell can handle higher current.

Mac

senna94

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mac,

I was under the impression that level 3 on the 2800mah version would not work without an IMR cell. Since I tried a standard protected AW RCR123 cell and it did not trip the overcurrent protection in the cell it made me wonder if I truly have the 2800mah version. The fact that the outputs were the same as with the IMR cell also led me to scratch my head. If however, the only reason for needing an IMR cell is for sustained runtime on 2800mah mode then that makes sense. Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mac,

I was under the impression that level 3 on the 2800mah version would not work without an IMR cell. Since I tried a standard protected AW RCR123 cell and it did not trip the overcurrent protection in the cell it made me wonder if I truly have the 2800mah version. The fact that the outputs were the same as with the IMR cell also led me to scratch my head. If however, the only reason for needing an IMR cell is for sustained runtime on 2800mah mode then that makes sense. Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

I have no doubt you have the correct driver board. Even in Patriots video he stated he used a Regular Black R123. I have used one myself and it works fine but the current draw would be higher than recommended for that cell which is why I state "IMR Required".

Mac

Patriot

Flashaholic
Mac,

The fact that the outputs were the same as with the IMR cell also led me to scratch my head. If however, the only reason for needing an IMR cell is for sustained runtime on 2800mah mode then that makes sense. Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

The output will be the same initially but the "black" AW cell strains. The output level will drop much more quickly than with the 16340. If you run each cell continuously with your meter on you'll find that the 16340 is about 10-15% brighter after 2 minutes. Still, it's hard on the black cell and I don't recommend it, either does AW or Mac. ;)

senna94

Flashlight Enthusiast
That makes sense and is what I assumed but wanted some confirmation. Thanks for the info Mac and Patriot. The tint on this beauty is addictive and by far the best tinted led I have ever owned!!!

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received my Ti today.

I'm really glad I went the Ti route, it really is a beauty.
I'm amazed at the output...great beam profile, flawless build.
It doesn't get better than this folks :twothumbs

Thanks Mac!

coloradogps

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received mine earlier this week.

I agree with Kid9P.

Flawless built with great attention to detail.

I am glad I went with the Titanium.

The SST-50 beam is beautiful, I went with the 4500k led.

The three levels are spaced out well.

Very nice! :twothumbs

Thanks, Mac for making these available!