Streamlight SL-20L/LP Upgraded from 350 to 450 Lumens - Nice Light!

County

Newly Enlightened
I guess I missed the memo on this one as this upgrade from 350->450 lumens, and 60,000->70,000 candelas happened without fanfare when SL started shipping the upgraded lights last summer apparently.

Anyhow- just got in the SL-20LP (polymer) in black, and love it! It's a nice focused hotspot but with a useable area-lighting corona. Color tint is very slightly cool. . like a daylight white. Just how I like it. Current regulation is very nice and flat. Though I don't have measurement instruments for brightness, I see the curve posted on the SL site shows it decreases from 450 to 350 lumens after about 10 min. . where it holds stead for 2.75 hours at 350 lumens. I found the regulation to work very well and didn't notice a decline in brightness until precisely the 2.75 hour mark.

The light has high-mid-low (press and hold switch to cycle thru, release at desired level) & strobe modes (double-click).

There is something about these full size lights that I still like.. maybe it's nostalgia. Compatibility with the legacy SL-20X sleeves is nice. I saved a few $$ by purchasing just the light and no charger since I have so many. I also appreciate cradle-charging lights for the simplicity of not having to remove a battery to charge it.

I like the polymer for the more pleasant feel in cold weather (i.e. it's not an ice cube), easy under-arm grip/hold with the rubber grip, and the lighter weight (although it's only 25% lighter than the aluminum version).

I also like how you get an idea of 'charged' or 'still charging' per the red status LED on the switch.

After my runtime test to the 2.75 hour mark above. . the light took a full 10 hours to fully charge in the car (although vehicle 12V voltage a little less than the wall-wart would have been I suspect). Advertised charge-time is 9 hours.

This light is getting a permanent spot in the car, in my newly mounted cradle charger! I like not having to wonder about a car-light's charge-state. Now I will just need to monitor the battery / do periodic runtime tests to identify when the battery (NiMH) does ultimately bite the dust.. Will probably do a full runtime test every 4-6 MOs. Daily use will be too intermittent to assess battery's health.

Last edited:

5Sport

Enlightened
I'm looking for a battery for this flashlight and the one from Streamlight is expensive. Is there a good replacement or adapter for it? Can it use something other than the thin one in the SL20 L?

Good sourse for these Batts?