Stupid fly swatting tricks.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
they have them at the dayton oh store.
btw you can call your local store with the item number to check.
print the sale price from the web site and the store will honer it.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
So, can I count on killing a wasp or yellowjacket or will I just make him mad?

Brightnorm

Short Circuit

Newly Enlightened
I found an Electric Fly Swatter at Camping World. Works good on those darn yellow jacket wasps.

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
For you modders out there: these likely use a flyback inverter with rectification to charge a capacitor to a fairly high voltage. If you want an even more satisfying bug explosion, increasing the output capacitor value will make more energy available though at the expense of longer charging time between swats. I suspect that at least 1000V rated capacitors would be required and maybe higher. I've never looked at one of these to see how assessible the circuit board is.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
So these things use a circuit like in a camera flash, only with a higher voltage (I thought I read somewhere that it's around 3.0KV or 3.5KV). So you have to "charge" it up before you go around swinging it at flies or wasps.
Camera flash caps are electrolytic at around 330-400VDC at 300uF or thereabouts. The higher the uF rating, the brighter the flash. Bug zapper caps are probably 4000VDC at 1-2uF (just a guess here) and are probably mylar or polyethelyne caps instead of electrolytic, because of the much higher voltage than that found in xenon camera flashes.

turbodog

Flashaholic
I bought one last week, and the package says 1500VDC. It does "charge up"... sounds just like a camera flash.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
the output cap on the harbor freight ones is only 630v!
i think one in mine has already bought the farm.
glad i got a spare.
i thought of converting to 2 aa and using the extra room for a real cap.

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
snakebite said:
the output cap on the harbor freight ones is only 630v!
i think one in mine has already bought the farm.
glad i got a spare.
i thought of converting to 2 aa and using the extra room for a real cap.

[/ QUOTE ]

SB, I'm curious. What was the capacitance of the output cap? BTW, it may be in code such as 104G, if you can't decypher it, I can.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my Harbor Freight fly destructor yesterday, swatted a few bugs dead, and put the "instrument" away. Sadly, there just weren't that many bugs annoying me when I needed them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for the tip folks. So far, so good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MenaceSQL

Enlightened
Milky, how long did it take you to get your order? I ordered my Harbor Freight swatter on 9/6 and haven't received it yet. Thanks.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
MenaceSQL, I ordered mine on 9/6 as well, and it just arrived on Tuesday (9/17). They don't strike me as being the fastest shippers on the planet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Maybe you should call them with a friendly "reminder"? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

MenaceSQL

Enlightened
I'll wait until next Monday to see if it shows up by then. According to the Order Status feature on their website, their records show that it shipped on 9/9. Them bugs better start hiding.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
harborfreight shipping is the worse i've ever experienced /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
don't expect it soon... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

looks like a nifty gadget though!

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
milkyspit said:
Maybe you should call them with a friendly "reminder"? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Forgot to mention, in NJ we have mafia for stuff like that... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

gregw45

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
harborfreight shipping is the worse i've ever experienced

[/ QUOTE ]

I had high hopes... Harbor Freight sucks. Here's my fly swatter:

fb014860.jpg

On the good side, what was in it's place is worth $2.oo more than what I paid. Doubt I'll ever use it though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
That's {vulgar term for having had intercourse} up!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
They sent you screw removers instead of a bug remover... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
ahh, got my lathe replacment parts also...

out of 2 broken gears, one of them was correct...and only half of the other missing part arrived! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

i'm just going to buy the stuff at another site /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif