suggestions for me in order not to have a regret life in the future

Jeffg330

Newly Enlightened
Don't worry about things you can not control, just focus on the things you can control.

When problems arise (and they will) don't focus on blame, it's meaningless. Be solution oriented.

samiluo

Newly Enlightened
Thank you guys so much for the precious suggestions! I know everyone is different but there are some situations we all may face. Be honest, stay open-minded, save money and most important work out often, stay health.. I may spend less time on the forums and travel more, lol.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try to learn as many different trades in life as you never know what path you may choose. I have traveled many different paths in life not by choice, but by changing times. I have been fortunate enough in life to have had many friends teach me the different skills I have acquired. If possible get a college degree as many jobs require it nowadays as many companies hire based on a degree over skills.

LED User

Newly Enlightened
There is one thing in life that nobody can take from you- your personal integrity; if you lose it then you made choices that brought you to that point. If you guard it carefully, it will let you have great, peaceful sleep, give you an excellent reputation, and lead you in the best decision making possible.

Beyond this, live life like you will exist somewhere 10,000 yrs. from now; because you will.

Last edited:

Sarratt

Enlightened
On a more prosaic or practical note :----- Learn to play a musical instrument ( it doesn't matter what ) and learn another language .

Those are my two BIG regrets

( oh and go back to uni to take astronomy --- but that's just me )

''....... you will exist somewhere 10,000 yrs from now '' ....... thanks LED User.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just turned 26 a couple days ago, I know many of you are older than me and have much life experience, can possible give me some suggestions of what should I do in this age in order not to have a regret life in the future? Many thanks!

When I get older I look back all those days I know what I need to do at that age, but when I'm at this age I always lost..

samiliuo,

This is natural. There's nothing wrong with this. But, if you can, you might find it helpful to learn to be comfortable in this "lost" space. Also, I'm pretty damn sure that if you DID have part of your past life to live over--if you could go back however many years and do things over--that you would, in almost all ways, end up in just as messy and complicated, and imperfect a place as you are now. Do not wish to be able to go back or make use of your hindsight. Hindsight is not 20/20. It's a conceit, a theory, a rationalization added over what really happened. Certainly in many ways, it can be true, but just as certainly, in many other ways, it is an illusion and a falsehood.

So, asking us for advice in this way is a pretty much like asking us to look back at our lives and consider what we would change if we could do it over. One of my high school teachers had a bunch of quotes on placards that he would rotate through, and one of them was something like "Youth is a wonderful thing. What a crime to waste it on the young." (I believe he changed a George Bernard Shaw quote, swapping "young" in for "children".) Personally, I kind of think that youth is best spent when it is wasted! LOL! I mean, obviously there's a context to that, and a certain understanding of what is meant by "wasted", but really, given those provisos, I really do agree with that sentiment.

When I think back on my "youth"--honestly, I still feel pretty much the same person inside--and I'm pretty sure I'm just as immature as ever--Peter Pan syndrome, I guess--but when I think back on those years, I remember most fondly the times I spent with my friends goofing off, playing roleplaying games, video games, running, laughing, swimming, biking, etc. And when I think back on my college years, I'm so glad that I lived on campus in the dorms and spent a decent amount of time socializing, hanging out, laughing, drinking, taking road trips, etc. I did a lot of stupid things, and I'm glad I did and wouldn't change a thing. I had very little care for the future, except that I did work hard at school and my classes and tried not to get too much into debt. Although I did get into debt somewhat. I think it was unavoidable then, and I think it is even more unavoidable now in this day and age. Just try to be mindful of it. I know people who graduated with over $100k of debt and a liberal arts degree, and as much as I love the liberal arts and understand the value of education, I think it is folly to start out your adult life with over $100k of debt and very few job prospects!

But I digress (or worse!).

Point is, my advice is not to ask for such advice and not to listen to it if it is given to you.

That's all.

Oh, except this: BRUSH AND FLOSS YOUR TEETH EVERY DAY. Take care of your teeth young man! You will be very happy you did when you get older. Go to the dentist every year without fail. It sucks but it will suck a lot worse later if you put it off.

:)

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your health is a top priority. Treat your castle/body well and it will allow you to carry through life's challenges. No matter what is said at this point, life doesn't come easily and we all re-invent the wheel to some extent. You can only make decisions for that moment in time based on what you are aware of. Life comes hard and those experiences will shape your future and allow you to make more life decisions.

I used to think about getting along with people who bring much anxiety. That includes family and what I realized is fudge that. Life is to short to deal with people, blood relations or not. Relationships are like shoes: there are those out there that will be a good fit. Family that causes health issues, financial drain and other negative aspects to your life are not healthful to your well being. You do the best you can with relationships and when that intrudes to an extent that you are losing your own self, that requires a decision.

Live your life the best and for each decision don't second guess yourself. Once it is made it is made, don't go backward. If you fudged it up, move on and put more thought to the next decision.

Capolini

Banned
1. Our serenity is directly proportional to our level of acceptance.

2.To know oneself happens through a process of relationships, not isolation.

3. To thine own self be true.

4. It is NOT what happens in our life that is important. It is how we REACT to what happens.

5.Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a GIFT that is why they call it the "Present"!

..........open up your presents young man,,,and enjoy! :thumbsup:

Rafael Jimenez

Enlightened
This is super thread,i like it.

I am 59, and I still go to my elders for advice.

I have read many interesting and very good sugestions here, and I will try to give you one.

Treat your very good friends as best you can, like special people that will do anything for you, for ever, and you be that way for them. Never fail them, and give them great respect, and if you go and live far from them you keep in touch. For me they are sort of sacred beings. You will probably only have a few in your lifetime.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Great thread here !

Here's something I can add:

Back Up the important files and photos from your Computer Hard Drive !

Keep this copy in a secure location OTHER than in your Home !

As we age -- our photographs become more important over time . . . .

Don't allow them to be Taken Away, due to a hard drive crash.

< end of preaching >

ven

Flashaholic
With age mentioned,always do your best when required to help the older generation,be it crossing the road to helping shopping in emergencies . Of course if you have elderly neighbours always be there to help,check on if anything happens(snow/adverse weather etc),as you will be elderly one day!!!!!!what we take for granted now becomes very difficult later in life. This does come back to treat others how one would like.............

Some great advice on here,i agree with Burgess,a great thread..................:)

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I've been doing some more thinking about this thread and the OP's request. And, well, it turns out I have just a bit more to say that insists on being put into a post.

The thing is that there are very real reasons to fear regret in later life, but it's not the stuff that you didn't know about or didn't think about or didn't see or that you wish you had known that is likely to cause you real regret down the road. No, actually, research has shown that what will really eat at you is the stuff that you DID know about, DID see, DID want or long for, but that you did NOT take action around because you were scared or afraid or lazy or whatever. THAT is what you really need to watch out for. If you stay in a career or college program or relationship when deep down you KNOW that it's not right. If you fail to take that chance, make that change, strike out on that path that you dream of--or even if you fail to EXPLORE such things--to experiment, to let experience be your teacher--THAT is what you are most likely to regret in later life.

So, I do, after all, have serious advice for you on this subject. When it comes to life, it is better to DO, and then reflect, rather than thinking and planning and worrying and trying to figure it all out perfectly BEFORE you act. Don't be afraid to make mistakes! They are absolutely necessary! Don't be afraid to take risks! They also are absolutely necessary for a fulfilling life, and also, paradoxically for "knowing thyself".

So think of life as a grand experiment, a great adventure, and of yourself as someone and something only in process of becoming, inchoate and nascent, and don't be afraid to break out and through. Everyone pays lip service to the idea that life is change, that change is inevitable and a part of life, but everyone at the very same time also wants a map of life, and a calculus and a formula, with a clear path and the dangers marked out in nice black ink. These two things are fundamentally at odds. The treasure of one period of life may become the danger of another period. What you once worked so hard for--what you studied for and interned for and networked for--that prestigious job at a law firm or on Wall Street--that very thing could become a burden and source of despair for you during the next period of life.

And most people are afraid to change careers--they've invested so much time and effort to get where they are--they have a good salary and benefits and a secure job--the thought of risking it all to follow some other path--well, that risk outweighs the risk that they'll regret staying in their job when they are older.

But research shows that few people regret taking such a risk, even if it doesn't work out--if they were genuinely unhappy and in need of a change, the attempt to change is not regretted, even if it fails--but on the other hand, many people regret NOT taking such risks when they are older.

You don't sell your soul all at once, like some Faustian bargain or a deal at the cross roads. You do it little by little, with every untrue action and every unfaithful non-action, and over the years it all adds up.

So right here, right now, in this present moment, when you know that there's some course you feel you should take or some course you feel you should avoid, but you're worried you'll regret it, don't. Worry instead that you'll regret NOT following your heart or your dreams or your gut, or whatever it is that is calling you or warning you.

Don't ask US what you might regret later in life! Only YOU know the answer to that--or you will. And when that time comes, be bold. Be bold.

And before that times comes--while you are waiting--when you have no idea about such things--be adventurous, be experimental! :devil: :)

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm 27 and really love threads like this. It's why I love some of the good askreddit threads on Reddit. Thanks for posting to OP everyone. I'll have to read this whole thread tomorrow.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Invest 20% of every single penny you make, from the very first penny you make, ever. The sooner you start the better, compound interest can be the difference between retiring when you're 40 or 70.........or never. Note: I use the word "invest" instead of "save" intentionally. Putting that money into a savings account that pays 0.05% interest is good and will put you in a better position than most, but it will never get you ahead.

MCK0704

Newly Enlightened
I'm 29, and have thought about this, too.

I agree with learning a foreign language (just learning to read it counts, too) and playing an instrument. If you add drawing to those two you will have things to do if you ever get bored. You can always get better in those things, although they do take a lot of time.

I also agree with taking care of your teeth and the rest of your body. The bills are expensive and it could be painful if you fail to do so.

I'd also say try to do something fun and try to learn something new every day, that way even if the rest of your day was bad you can say it wasn't a wasted day.