Surefire A2 Aviator Fan checking in

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's another beautiful thing about the A2. The Lamp doesn't care how much voltage you feed it, two 4.2 V Lithium ions, or 2 primaries, makes no difference, the lamp will only see around 4V of it. Sadly, the same can't be said about the LED's though.

I've always loved that about the lamp assembly because of the regulator. Drop some LI IONS or primaries in there, the light doesn't care. I agree and disagree with some of the points you made. I'll have to do some beamshots eventually to prove my points on the A2. Probably won't be this week though. I'll have to dig through a lot of lights.

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
I've always loved that about the lamp assembly because of the regulator. Drop some LI IONS or primaries in there, the light doesn't care. I agree and disagree with some of the points you made. I'll have to do some beamshots eventually to prove my points on the A2. Probably won't be this week though. I'll have to dig through a lot of lights.

Fair enough Ampdude. I'm just going by the data and my eyes is all. Either way, love it or hate it, the A2 is a special light indeed.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fair enough Ampdude. I'm just going by the data and my eyes is all. Either way, love it or hate it, the A2 is a special light indeed.

I'll try and get some beamshots up on a white wall. Here's one thing I need to mention, that we were talking about... The darkening of the Lumens Factory bulbs, and I believe you have observed yourself, which I myself have observed after only 1 hour of operation, is because they contain only xenon gas. They don't contain the xenon-halogen combination that Surefire lamps do which last forever. Surefire lamps use the xenon-halogen cycle so that they stay bright for a really long time. I've been told that I'm stupid for thinking that bulbs should be this way because xenon costs more. Well we all know better.

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
I've seen this issue of the lamps darkening quickly brought up to Mark from LumensFactory before.

His response/excuse was that they don't have the equipment/machinery to do a Xenon-Halogen cycle lamp, and that they use a very high pressure in the lamp to combat the darkening, or something to that effect.

I like LumensFactory's lamp, they have good qualities to them, and I can appreciate that they are the only one supporting us Incan guys, but there is serious issues with their lamps blackening quickly. If they were cheap, it wouldn't be such a big deal, problem is cheap they are not.

FWIW, to be fair, it's my experience that the LumensFactory A2 lamp darkens less quickly than many of the other lamps I've had from them. Not sure if the A2's soft start has anything to do with that or what, but that's my experience.

Mark@LF

Enlightened
Yes, Sir.
Xenon-Halogen lamp production is very different than pure Xenon lamp production, the machinery and manufacturing process are different.
The Xenon-Halogen lamps almost do not darken at all because of the regeneration qualities of the Halogen cycle.
We in turn use a much higher pressure in the lamp to slow the darkening (using the higher pressure to "press" against the tungsten to slow the deterioration).
We don't make Xenon-Halogen lamp simply because we don't have the machinery to make them, so we make our lamps in pure Xenon.
This has always been the case for us and the reason why we do not make Xenon-Halogen lamps.

Thank you for the support guys.

Cheers.

Mark

Last edited:

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the explanation, Mark, and thank you for doing what you do.

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
I'll gladly take Xenon only lamps versus no lamps at all! I am greatly appreciative that LumensFactory is still supporting us guys who still use incandescents.

I sincerely hope they continue to produce lamps for a long time, otherwise these incandescent lights we love and adore will become nothing more than expensive paperweights.

Mark@LF

Enlightened
Again, thank you for the support guys.
I am extremely grateful for all your support over the years.
These are some hard times, but thanks to you guys we are still kicking.

We have been asked many times in the past if we are going to discontinue the incandescent lineup.
The answer is no, we will keep it as long as we could.
Incandescent lamps is our roots and we have been making them since my Grandfathers days.
Although to be honest, the incandescent sales has shrunk considerably and that is why almost every manufacturer stopped providing support for their incandescent products and discontinuing their incandescent lines.
We still value it as part of our core and will not discontinue the lineup or cease the support.

LEDs has came a long way and most people think incandescents are obsolete.
But incandescents definitely has its uses and advantages.
Colour rendition and light penatration during bad weather conditions are still valued among many users around the world.

Plus, there is just this passion and warm feeling when using an incan that you don't get with LEDs.

Cheers.

Mark

mcm308

Enlightened
Again, thank you for the support guys.
I am extremely grateful for all your support over the years.
These are some hard times, but thanks to you guys we are still kicking.

We have been asked many times in the past if we are going to discontinue the incandescent lineup.
The answer is no, we will keep it as long as we could.
Incandescent lamps is our roots and we have been making them since my Grandfathers days.
Although to be honest, the incandescent sales has shrunk considerably and that is why almost every manufacturer stopped providing support for their incandescent products and discontinuing their incandescent lines.
We still value it as part of our core and will not discontinue the lineup or cease the support.

LEDs has came a long way and most people think incandescents are obsolete.
But incandescents definitely has its uses and advantages.
Colour rendition and light penatration during bad weather conditions are still valued among many users around the world.

Plus, there is just this passion and warm feeling when using an incan that you don't get with LEDs.

Cheers.

Mark
Yes, thank you so much for continuing to support us incan junkies. The 2 lights I'll never live without is the A2 and the M4!

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure anyone who has been in a snow storm with a flashlight will note that not only is the light quality much better, but the snow will melt off of the lens, unlike with an LED light. That's why you don't see LED traffic lights in a lot of northern States in the U.S.A.

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a fresh owner i couldn't resist to check in as well. Using mine with koala ring and Tad's 3712. Amazing combo!
@archimedes: sorry, post corrected

mcm308

Enlightened
A reminder that pricing questions are best addressed through a websearch please.

Just thought Id ask. I had about 15 of them a few years ago. I remember nice ones were in the 200 range, looks quite a bit less now according to ebay completed listings. Round bodies going for cheap. Is there anything wrong with talking about the value of them?

archimedes

Flashaholic
.... Is there anything wrong with talking about the value of them?

There are an enormous variety of factors that go into determining value, but at the same time, this information has very limited shelf life.

The only hard data available is completed sales, which are easily searchable.

Discussing these topics, in non sales threads, tends to cause off topic drift, pointless arguments, and ultimately moderation problems of various sorts (including price fishing and sales outside of the MarketPlace)

Thanks for understanding.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
You know I think it's the good memory's I had with my old A2 that made me get one again.i used to ghost hunt quite a bit and loved the way the low leds would give me plenty of light to see all night and always had that high beam when I needed it.i have plenty of lights that are more powerful and longer running but still there is just something about it I love.