SureFire E1B Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I should be more specific -

When I think "survival light", I'm thinking along the lines of Tom Hanks in the movie Cast Away (he didn't do so well with a MiniMag). Or at least Les Stroud in the television series Survivorman (he doesn't even use flashlights!). It's going to go through a lot of use and abuse, and can't really be a one trick pony, so I'd go with something LED, multi modes with a marathon low mode for general use and a decent bright mode with some throw to spot something from a distance or to signal.

I think Hanks used a Streamlight Scorpion in the movie.

Also, the runtime might be a bit off, but the Inova 24/7 fits those requirements.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yepp. I have doubts the E1B's UI will be able to replace the L1 for me. The L1 switch is among the best I know. Even my mom can use it properly without an explanation.

Exactly; it's going to work with the L1, not against it. The E1B is more for people like me who want a single celled, two stage light with a forward clicky. I love everything about the L1 except for the switch. I can appreciate the design and simplicity, but it just doesn't work for me. Someone at SureFire must have been reading my mind when they came up with this one. :tinfoil:

paulr

Flashaholic
Maybe it's off topic and maybe I lack imagination but I just don't understand this survival light thing involving 2 hours a night of usage. When I've gone camping I've never used a flashlight for more than a few minutes a night. Use daylight for stuff needing illumination. At night, go to sleep, look at the stars, walk by moonlight, whatever. Main use of a flashlight is for setting up a tent, which really wants a handsfree light, though with the bezel up position maybe this E1b can be clipped to a hat brim for that purpose.

ja10

Enlightened
Maybe it's off topic and maybe I lack imagination but I just don't understand this survival light thing involving 2 hours a night of usage. When I've gone camping I've never used a flashlight for more than a few minutes a night. Use daylight for stuff needing illumination. At night, go to sleep, look at the stars, walk by moonlight, whatever. Main use of a flashlight is for setting up a tent, which really wants a handsfree light, though with the bezel up position maybe this E1b can be clipped to a hat brim for that purpose.

You make a good point. I got into this whole hobby about 1.5 years ago, and my first light was the Lux III L1. The reason why I got it was because it was one of the longest running LEDs in the SF lineup with "4 hrs of useful output" (only part of that at full output). Well, I got the light with some worry about the "short" runtime, but 6 weeks later when I replaced the original CR123, I realized that I put way too much emphasis on runtime.

That's not to say that runtime isn't important. I like multi-level lights for that exact reason. If I am in a situation where battery life is important, I can use low as much as possible.

It seems like the E1B will be a solid little light. It won't be an end-all-be-all light, but it will make a nice addition to many people's collections.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Paulr,

You obviously have never gone camping with a bunch of Boy Scouts... :)

I can get by with little or no light at night while camping, but when the "boys" want to borrow a light for whatever adventure they cook up, my lights can get a couple hours a night of use.

Tom

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
I remember when I was a boy scout. The main reason we used our lights was to play! Going out peeing at night was an important usage of the light to, but mainly we used it to play with!

And guess what... I still mostly play with my lights... :)

eshishlo

Newly Enlightened
I don't think that this light is really a survival light for the masses but directed at those who need a bright light for extended periods of time during the night and their main light is in the charger. For example, a police officer on patrol with a rechargeable light could use up his single rechargeable battery in a search or accident scene and need a bright light until his main light recharges. This is where the backup light comes in.

It would also be very useful for camping with Boy Scouts. I have had the experience to go camping with a youth group. It seems that everyone wanted to borrow my bright lights and bring them back for new batteries...

Last edited:

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I in turn agree with you about the size of the L1. I only briefly carried an L1 after I got it due to its size. I have since put together an L1 derivative that is smaller than the E1B: Gen1 head, E1E body, topped off with a McE2S two stage switch. The McE2S is stiffer then the L1 switch, so I put up with that to get an 83mm long light that has two L1-style levels and can put out 160+ lumens on RCR123.
I still may get an E1B for the nice clip and ability to put out 80+ lumens on a primary (backup batteries) which is my direct drive Mini-me L1's one other issue. It only gets 20-30-ish lumens on primaries.
One more note about the clip. I think it would be just as good (to Me) if it was attached at the tail for full in the pocket bezel down carry. The only type of clips I actually use are that type, like the LRI Proton.

Hey Blind, ltns =)

I didn't know the E1E/E1L body would fit the L1 head - great idea! How soon does the output noticeably drop off? I'll have to try it tonight.

Back OT, I wonder how small this light will feel in pocket, i.e. if it'll really be unobtrusive enough to be an all-time backup. Right now my HDS serves that role, in a nylon holster on my belt and I never notice it's there. I have whatever SF I'm currently playing with (recent got into SF, and boy they're great) as my 'primary,' but when I leave it somewhere and need a light, it's the HDS. It'd be great if this could serve that role too, but I'm at a shortage of pocket edge space (with knife, etc.).

The clicky looks great though. My biggest complaint with the L1 is that while for momentary the switch is great, it's uncomfortable to try to turn it on, from either position. The really only quick way to turn it on for me is two handed, single handed it takes too long and requires a hand position readjustment, where as with a clicky it's bam, light's there.

cv3po

Banned

Well.............there is a difference between survival and camping. In a survival situation (which could have started out as camping, biking, hiking, plane crash, out of gas in a remote location..........etc) two hours would be enough time to set up camp. This might include tent set-up/building shelter, gathering firewood/getting fire going, preparing food (if available) and many other tasks. Also it in the case of the E1B, low is bright enough to navigate the woods in the dark. Maybe you know where you need to go and want to keep moving through the night. 37 hours of runtime on low would sound pretty good in those kinds of situations.

Last edited:

Lightguy27

Enlightened
Something amazing just hit me about this amazing little light, and I don't know if it has been said before but Im not looking through 11 pages of posts to find out so here goes. This light is is basically the light we have all been dreaming of, let me explain.

1. It's HA in black, how many of us love this look, most.

2. Newer style clikie with as Green Led put it, a two stage clickie with momentary on at both levels.

3. A higher high, and probably the most important for most, a lower low. 80/5

4. We all know how important the bezel down is to a lot of people and now we have the option to choose with a dual pocket clip. Genius.

5. It's freekin TINY!!! 4 inches!!

I don't know it's just like PK has been waiting, watching our comments and wishes and then stuck it into a 4 inch package. Just my thoughts but this light is simply genius, all the best rolled up into one little light. Good job PK. I will definetly get one and would happily pay twice the asking price, which I will cause Ill be getting two :grin2:.

-Evan

Last edited:

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
This may be true to some of us here. But for me I rather want low first like the L1, having the low level second may ruin the whole idea of having one in some cases. I dont want to hold my hand over the front until I changed the level :)

I dont like SF optics either, its not enough side spill for my likings, other than that it probably would have been a very nice EDC for me and a lot of others!
According to the text SF wrote about it, its suppose to be a second light not the main light. And they have put LEOs as primary user, high first.
If the features would have been different it would have been a very good main EDC for me! I have a fenix now because of the sleek design! So this light is VERY close! I always wanted a SF as an EDC, but havent used one because of the knurling. I really like the knurling on SFs lights, but not if im going to EDC it. So this is right thinking from SureFire! BUT I would want the same light withe the option of low/high, this could be named "EDC" not "backup". This EDC could be directed to the public and hikers etc. Or LEs for that matter, but on their spare time :)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Something amazing just hit me about this amazing little light....

1. It's HA in black, how many of us love this look, most.

2. Newer style clikie with as Green Led put it, a two stage clickie with momentary on at both levels.

3. A higher high, and probably the most important for most, a lower low. 80/5

4. We all know how important the bezel down is to a lot of people and now we have the option to choose with a dual pocket clip. Genius.

5. It's freekin TINY!!! 4 inches!!

-Evan

Something amazing just hit me as I was reading your post.... The Novatac 85P popped into my head. :wtf:

No it doesn't fit every single thing mentioned. But damn if it ain't close!

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems like last year we had to wait until mid-year for the L1 to become available, hopefully this year we can get our hands on an E1B sooner than mid-year.

Size15's

Flashaholic
It seems like last year we had to wait until mid-year for the L1 to become available, hopefully this year we can get our hands on an E1B sooner than mid-year.
If you want an E1B I suggest you make sure your friendly SureFire Dealer knows to put your name on their list when they're able to place orders.
Once that's done you can get on with something else while you wait.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want an E1B I suggest you make sure your friendly SureFire Dealer knows to put your name on their list when they're able to place orders.

Yup, place a preorder and then try to forget about it. Then you have a nice E1B shaped surprise when it becomes available :eek:

Of course, it's not always too easy to stop obsessing over such things until they comes out :sick2:

Regards,
Tempest

Lightguy27

Enlightened

So how exactly would you go to a dealer(for me I would like it be Basspro) and ask them to put your name on the list. I have a friend who works at basspro in the camping section which is the section where the Flashlights and SF display case are located so could I ask to be put on a waiting list when they receive them. Or, will they be availible at SF's website the same time they are in stores. I could just ask him to hold one for me when they arrive. So Size 15's, do you have a ballpark estimate for when they will be released?

-Evan

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am hoping/assuming that SF will deliver this light earlier than mid-year because last year was their first year manufacturing lights with the Cree LED. Maybe they took more time to test the new lights with the Cree LED. It seems that with the E1B, they would just have to re-machine the E1L body, add a different driver and switch?

I guess we will just have to wait and see!

:popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.