Surefire E2E and MN03 Lamp

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not know why Tenergy labels their batteries as 3.0 when they are not. Maybe I have a freak bulb.

No freak bulbs and no mis-labelling here. There are 2 (main)types of 3.0V R123A cells:

1. 3.0V by Chemistry
2. 3.0V (actually more like 3.2V) by internal circuit.

The 3.0V/3.2V ones that use a circuit to drop the voltage charge at approx. 4.4V and have an open circuit voltage around 4V. Once load is applied, the circuit kicks in (circuit needs current to operate) and drops the voltage to 3.0V/3.2V. You have the Tenergy cells that are 3.0V by circuit and that's why you don't blow your bulb. BTW, the circuits takes a few ms to kick in.

For either type (chemistry or circuit), let the cell rest before powering the light or it will instaflash the MN03.

I prefer to run my MN03 on my 3.0V R123As as it's considerably brighter and almost perfectly white since it's being overdriven a bit. But the runtime's not very good.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, ampdude, I could be wrong or, possibly, made observations based on less than scientific procedure. I'm sorry if I've misled anybody. I was referring to primary CR123 cells - not rechargeable. The "3 volt" RCR123s would be different.

Perhaps in my case the LAs that I have and the particular cells used with them generated untypical results. Maybe I should have been more specific than: "a few minutes" and stated after approximately 15 ~ 20 minutes the output is about the same.

The MNO3 draws almost twice the current of the MNO2 so the voltage drop is more noticeable for the lamp requiring the greater voltage along with the CR123 cells being less efficient at the higher drain. With fresh cells my E2e's output matches my Wine Light's after not that much use and continues to drop. Perhaps this is not always case due to lamp and cell variations and their pairings.

Latest posts