SureFire E2L AA Outdoorsman Review

kj2

Flashaholic
SF dealer here had a sale on the E2L AA. Couldn't help myself to pick one up.
Quite a low SN :)

0c0a1899ab520b4cc945f9544ffca480.jpg

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
SN30?

I am jealous.

Wonder what a XPG3 straight swap would do for the E2Laa.
Maybe a wider beam, more spill and over 100 lumens(conservative estimate?) paired with tabletop regulation for close to 10hrs with L91 cells, that would be great.

Up All Night

Enlightened
Nice find kj2.
Not just a low serial number, prototype low, with the "X" designation. :thumbsup:

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't believe the last of these were cleared out for like $100 two black Friday's ago. The single mode DSS(?) model in black HA.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
SF dealer here had a sale on the E2L AA. Couldn't help myself to pick one up.
Quite a low SN :)

Yep, if that's the actual light, it's a prototype from the X serial number.

I can't believe the last of these were cleared out for like $100 two black Friday's ago. The single mode DSS(?) model in black HA.

Here's my earlier thread about the E2LAA DSS: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?444691-SureFire-E2LAA-DSS-Outdoorsman-200-Lumens

Was there ever any SF successor to this light? AA batteries are available all over the world.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Almost 10 years ago this thread started and I posted here!
I still have E2L AA Outdoorsman. As well as its 1 and 2xCR123 brothers. Excellent flashlights even if they are dim compared to today's standard. The design and machining are outstanding. But I would like Surefire updated them. Without the lumen race goal to get as high max brightness as possible. And a E1L AA in same design but with updated LED had been great. With a newer LED a single AA model had got at least the same performance as the old 2AA, probably even better.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E2L-AA is one of the greatest Surefire lights. I have both generations, the original and the later enhanced version. It is very useful, and a long runner even with Eneloop cells. One of my favorite lights, since this 65 and 105 (?) lumes are enough for most things.

A E1L-AA would have been a great addition to the Outdoorsman lights. But now, all Outdoorsman lights are gone. My opinion, the Outdoorsman lights were the greatest lights for the case that run time is more important than brightness.

But anyway.... Outdoorsman .... gone.
My last Surefire .... years ago, was the blue Aviator (because I already had the 3 other colors ;) )
Plans to buy a Surefire from the current product lineup .... No!

thermal guy

Flashaholic
The Outdoorsman series was the best.Guess people stopped going into the wild?

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
My guess is that Surefire also tires to be part of this brighter, brighter, brighter ... that other flashlight manufacturers are doing like Acebeam, Imalent ,... that currently always try to have the brightst flashlight.

The new E2DLU with is the best example 1000lm high and 5lm low. That can be used for almost nothing. The old E2DLU was only 500/5lm. That is on how Surefire tries to win the lumen war.

Surefire should go back to the roots, make versatile lights with brighness settings that not only last 30s and than the light must step down due to heat problems. For most situations 300-500lm are more than enough. Normally 200lm are perfect for me. Most lights I have are below 1000lm.

AstroTurf

Flashlight Enthusiast
come on guys...

yer killin me!

I'm sittin here with a nos round head surefire 9p in original box with original duracell batteries and original paperwork, brandy new...

wondering whether a aa battery adapter will scratch my itch?

no it will not.

Must. Have. One.

Jim

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi WarriorOfLight! I added my comments in red.

My guess is that Surefire also tires to be part of this brighter, brighter, brighter ... that other flashlight manufacturers are doing like Acebeam, Imalent ,... that currently always try to have the brightst flashlight.
I have a few high lumen lights and the brightest is Acebeam K30(not the latest version). For sure cool to put out ~5000lm even if it's for some minute before a stepdown. It may have its use but of course it's mainly a result of the lumen race.

The new E2DLU with is the best example 1000lm high and 5lm low. That can be used for almost nothing. The old E2DLU was only 500/5lm. That is on how Surefire tries to win the lumen war.
Yes, I reacted about that the low mode remained the same the same despite the high mode increased. 5lm low and 1000lm high: all or nothing. The low is useful only for close up task and the high mode is mostly a show off mode, for a very short while. Unnecessary sacrifying battery time.

Surefire should go back to the roots, make versatile lights with brighness settings that not only last 30s and than the light must step down due to heat problems. For most situations 300-500lm are more than enough. Normally 200lm are perfect for me. Most lights I have are below 1000lm.
You take the words out from my mouth! I cant agree more!

idiotekniQues

Newly Enlightened
I haven't been on here in many years, but I still have my e2L outdoorsman, the one with 60 lumens on high and 3 on low and I still find it useful. These flashlights today are just silly bright with one super bright mode then a low mode, or just an insane amount of modes. Totally useless for like standard hiking or camping. I need something with maybe three modes max. 350, 150, 5. I like runtime, knowing that I have the juice to not lose my light. I went right to surefire's site today to try to find a light and nothing interested me.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone experienced something similar?

I gave a friend E2L AA a few years ago and today he sent me this picture. The reason for this is still unknown, he is in another city.

1660812160678.png