SUREFIRE EDCL-2T

jellydonut

Enlightened
I want one too, but the release of the M600 DF has made me realize that a dual fuel version would be much more desirable, and that surely one must be right around the corner..

Nimitz68

Enlightened
I want one too, but the release of the M600 DF has made me realize that a dual fuel version would be much more desirable, and that surely one must be right around the corner..
You can power the EDCL2-T with a 16650 Li-Ion rechargeable cell. I am currently using a KeepPower protected 2500 mAh in mine and I have had no issues. Just thought you might want to know.

Last edited:

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can power the EDCL2-T with a 16650 Li-Ion rechargeable cell. I am currently using a KeepPower protected 2500 mAh in mine and I have had no issues. Just thought you might want to know.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but how is low mode on a 16650?

Is it still at the same brightness as two CR123?

Nimitz68

Enlightened
Sorry if this has been asked before, but how is low mode on a 16650?

Is it still at the same brightness as two CR123?

I have not noticed a difference on low output between the two battery configurations, but I also do not have the necessary equipment to definitively measure the two outputs. It seems very similar to my eyes.

blacksmith

Newly Enlightened
Warning: the following will void your warranty. It says so right on Surefires site.

Now thats out of the way, lets take a look at the tools we'll need to disassemble the EDCL-2T.

The light comes completely apart with a little heat and twisting. This is a fairly straightforward process and the hardest part is not scratching the ano finish.

All parts will swap with an EB2 and some other E series.

Here is what can be done. This was not meant to be anything particular, more of a R&D project from our Mad Science Division.

• Green glow in dark boot

• Lo-pro boot bezel from EB2

• Painted checkering two-tone tan

• Reflective tape on the flats

• Short pocket clip

• Anti-roll ring and crenelated head from E1D

• De-dome LED

Last edited:

ch4ins4w

Newly Enlightened
I used a 16650 in mine for a while, but the low was way too low. For me, it only worked in total darkness when you wanted a bare minimum illumination. I use IMR 16340s now. The low is a good all-around level and the turbo is excellent .

Skaaphaas

Enlightened
I used a 16650 in mine for a while, but the low was way too low. For me, it only worked in total darkness when you wanted a bare minimum illumination. I use IMR 16340s now. The low is a good all-around level and the turbo is excellent .
Probably also going to end up doing this. I suppose the low is just that tad more usable, turbo must be a stunner.

How frequently do you charge the cells then? Probably very often?

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm waiting for mine to come then resoldering resistor for higher low on single cell. But i would be greatfull if some photos of bezel driver could be seen...further modding is, well, needed[emoji3]

archimedes

Flashaholic

ch4ins4w

Newly Enlightened
Skaaphaas :

I get pretty good use out of the two IMR 16340s. Turbo does deplete them pretty fast, so I use it only when needed. The low with the tow batteries is so good I use it a lot.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Skaaphaas :

I get pretty good use out of the two IMR 16340s. Turbo does deplete them pretty fast, so I use it only when needed. The low with the tow batteries is so good I use it a lot.

I agree, low is a lot more than 5 lumens on the IMR's and is bright enough to be useful for most common tasks. :thumbsup:

jellydonut

Enlightened
If Surefires were filled with potting they would be heavier than they are, the feel of them alone makes it kinda obvious they aren't.

In other news, I caved and bought one of these and it is predictably amazing. I suppose I will just buy another one when they bring out the inevitable 18650 variant.

jellydonut

Enlightened
2 stage with 18650 support will be the day.

I believe that with the advent of the M600 DF it is inevitable, and only a matter of time.

In the mean time this fantastic light will serve me well. Surefire's relentless catalog teasing shows that they are sometimes glacially slow even with the obvious releases, so I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it.

Skaaphaas

Enlightened
I believe that with the advent of the M600 DF it is inevitable, and only a matter of time.

In the mean time this fantastic light will serve me well. Surefire's relentless catalog teasing shows that they are sometimes glacially slow even with the obvious releases, so I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it.
It would have to be a different light altogether, as the EDCL2-T's body is way too thin to accommodate an 18650.

Best bet would be to put a gas pedal switch on the Fury Dual-Fuel.