SUREFIRE EDCL-2T

RichardWad

Newly Enlightened
Correct, the pocket clip grips the pants very loosely. It is not secure, and moves around the pocket a lot.

Crushmaster

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input. Wish they'd add some texturing to the clip to give it a bit more bite on your pocket. May have to try bending it a bit.

RichardWad

Newly Enlightened
I added some rubber heatshrink tube stuff to the pocket clip but it's still loose, in case you were considering that option

jarobi

Enlightened
FYI,
I swapped the pocket clips between the EDCL2-T and the Tactician.
For my uses, the L2-T is specialized and the Tactician is general use/EDC.

On my particular lights the Tactician clip is thicker and ever so slightly wider than the two way. I filed the Tactician clip to fit. The L2-T clip fits width-wise into the tactician body, but leaves up and down play due to being thinner. The solution was to cut two small pieces of black 8" zip tie. One piece fits.into the recessed area of the clip, the other between it and the body of the light. Bingo, ten minutes of work to make two great lights perfect for my use.

jarobi

Enlightened
Scored another of these, Surefire direct. Tint is a pleasant est. 4500K, runs like a champ on a 16650. S/N on KE2G is A134903. It's my favorite Surefire since my Nitroz-modded U2 (long since stolen). Very well done light. I hope they keep the gas pedal interface around.

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
When you say it runs like a champ on 16650, how's the low mode?

It doesn't. Not only will the light not achieve full brightness, but output drops like an absolute rock, and if my memory is correct, the low mode is reduced to a sub-lumen mode which is very very dim and not very useful.

The EDCL-2T is certainly no champ when running on a 16650.

Mr. LED

Enlightened
From what I read on this thread, most people say the low is too low on 16650. But one person says it had no difference between CR123. And now someone else said it works like a champ. Just wanted to confirm.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting stuff. My copy of the EDCL-2 has a super tight clip. The 16650 I tried in it for reasons I do not understand makes the light lose low mode completely. With the 16650 it is full blast all the time gas pedal switch or not. I do like the low mode and use it frequently. Thus CR123's went back into it and it now works fine. Good luck OP these SF lights are not cheap...

wicky998

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys,

Just purchased a new EDCL2-T earlier this afternoon and looking for some help until Surefire opens on Monday. I searched online and this forum, but I have not been able to find a post / article with many issues for this light. For the life of me, it bypasses low lumen output and is high output only. I removed the switch to make sure they installed the correct one and it is. When I turn the switch to constant on, it goes to high output immediately. If I keep twisting, it will blink again into high output. Only then if I rotate it backward will it go into low output mode. However, if I keep twisting backward, it will go back into high output before turning off and back into momentary only. No other way I can get it into low output mode.

For my uses at work, it is not terrible that I get 1200 lumen output instantly and always, but I will go through batteries quickly and I want the light to function properly. Have any of you guys ran into this issue and / or know of the cause and a fix without having to go through Surefire RMA? I assume it is an issue with the switch correct? Hopefully it is a simple remedy. Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Be well and stay safe.

have you tried cleaning your contacts on the switch?

and did you hear back from surefire with an answer?

Dr. J

Newly Enlightened
Interesting stuff. My copy of the EDCL-2 has a super tight clip. The 16650 I tried in it for reasons I do not understand makes the light lose low mode completely. With the 16650 it is full blast all the time gas pedal switch or not. I do like the low mode and use it frequently. Thus CR123's went back into it and it now works fine. Good luck OP these SF lights are not cheap...

Sanyo unprotected UR16650ZTA (purple) gives low and high modes in my EDCL-2T, with the high being perhaps just a bit dimmer than with two primaries.
I will use this over the next few weeks and see what happens with more use...

Dr. J

Newly Enlightened
And how low is the low?
Other than tint, I have difficulty telling the difference between a Malkoff Neutral MDC Li-ion LMH and the EDCL-2T on low. The Malkoff is reportedly 15 lumens on low.
Perfectly usable!

Mr. LED

Enlightened
That's some news. Virtually everyone else in this thread said that using 16650, the low was so low to the point of unusable.

Can you post pictures for comparison?

Skaaphaas

Enlightened
That's some news. Virtually everyone else in this thread said that using 16650, the low was so low to the point of unusable.

Can you post pictures for comparison?
That's certainly the case with mine and a 16650, tried it once and found it not feasible.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe he is charging to 4.35V guys as the cell he is using is capable of that? That's what I do with my ZTA's. I would run a test but, I only have the EDCL-1T unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

Dr. J

Newly Enlightened
Maybe he is charging to 4.35V guys as the cell he is using is capable of that? That's what I do with my ZTA's. I would run a test but, I only have the EDCL-1T unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

XTAR WP2, charging with the switch set to 3.8V. A battery I just removed from the charger a few hours ago reads 4.33 VDC on a Fluke multimeter.

jarobi

Enlightened
When you say it runs like a champ on 16650, how's the low mode?

Apologies, sir. I'd missed your question.

I don't notice any difference in output on low between 4.2v and 6v. Kentucky windage to my old eyeballs guesses @ 15 lumens.

I'll venture a guess, without opening the head, there's a driver change. My first one of these was almost cool timt, flickered terribly on low and was returned and SF sent a NIP unit.

Last edited: