Surefire LumaMax LX2 - should I buy it ?

stallion2

Enlightened
Re: Surefire LumaMax LX2

just go w/ the LX2...it'll be a long time before you see something else and say to yourself, 'hmmm, maybe i should've gone w/ that instead...' i bought mine w/ no intention of EDCing it but thats exactly what it became the day i got it. its throw is outstanding for any tactical size light. it easily out throws my Malkoff M30 & 60. with exception to a couple P60 lamps w/ XP-Gs i have, it is easily the brightest. its really light weight as well...something i was not anticipating.

+1 on the F04. you'll have a great flood light when they're used together plus you should probably have something protecting the optic, especially if you EDC it. the only thing i own that has any chance of matching the LX2 is the Quark Turbo. output is pretty much the same amongst those two but their beam profiles are quite different.

in short...this is the first 'small' flashlight i've spent ~$200 on but should it be stolen, broken, et...at this point, i wouldn't bat an eye at dumping $200 on a replacment.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am biased towards Surefire but I do own some other lights like Fenix, Nitecore, and Quark. Now I am looking at purchasing a RaLight clicky but I do have to tell you that among all my lights, nothing comes close to the LX2 in terms of power to size ratio, simplicity in UI, and durability. And to top it all, it is a very beautiful light. I have sort of "decomissioned" all my other lights and EDC the LX2 as my main light. My secondary light is a Quark MiNi AA or 123. In one word, favorite!

lonelyboy

Newly Enlightened

I just bought a LX2 last Sunday. It is great!

Hobbs

Newly Enlightened

Can the pocket clip be removed from the LX2? Finding it hard to resist the 20% off deal from REI! This is nuts :ohgeez:, first a Quark Mina AA a few weeks ago, now the LX2 and looking forward to a new generation of RA Twisty.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast

Can the pocket clip be removed from the LX2?

Yup :)

Remove the head and the o-ring and it should come right off, with a bit of force. I find it easiest to use the edge of a hard surface to push it off (from tail to head).

Regards,
Tempest

jac2001

Newly Enlightened

Well go get the thing will ya!!

I was using as many as three lights for my EDC chores which included an E2DL, a Malkoff m60/SF D2, and a Nailbender SST50/SF C2. When I got my Lx2, it became apparent that I really only needed one!! The Lx2 was easier to use(to me anyway for my CCW purposes. BEST UI PERIOD for a multi output light!!!) than the E2DL as well as significantly brighter. Has better color than my m60 and slightly brighter to boot. And while not as bright overall as the NB SST50, it offers a tighter more intense hotspot, with greatly improved runtime.

I still occasionally use the NB for retina scorching:devil: and the m60 will probably go on the 'vermin' rifle when I get around to getting the mount, but if I had to choose only one light, it would be the Lx2. Period.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm still very torn between the L2 and the LX2 and not sure the LX2 would be (for me) an upgrade. The LX2 beamshots I've seen make the LX2 beam look very similar to other TIR beams, especially the E2D LED. I really like the relatively even beam from the L2 with its light OP reflector. There's no denying the fact that the LX2 is much more efficient and a much more compact physical package (the L2 is ridiculously over-long...).

(Edited to make it clearer that I'm comparing the L2 and the LX2)

Last edited:

Fooboy

Enlightened

I'm still very torn. The beamshots I've seen make the LX2 beam look very similar to other TIR beams, especially the E2D LED. I really like the relatively even beam from the L2 with its light OP reflector. There's no denying the fact that the LX2 is much more efficient and a much more compact physical package (the L2 is ridiculously over-long...).

Don't underestimate the UI.

stallion2

Enlightened

I'm still very torn. The beamshots I've seen make the LX2 beam look very similar to other TIR beams, especially the E2D LED. I really like the relatively even beam from the L2 with its light OP reflector. There's no denying the fact that the LX2 is much more efficient and a much more compact physical package (the L2 is ridiculously over-long...).

the LX2 is the same internally as the current E2DL. the only real different between the two aside from the asthetics is the operation (twisty vs clicky) and the low mode (15lm vs 5lm). the optic and high mode are identical.

Size15's

Flashaholic

How can a "two-stage push button pressure switch" be considered a "twisty"?
But you're right - the two-stage push button pressure switch is the significant defining feature of the LX2.
I'd also add the two-way pocketclip facilitating carry deeper inside your pocket.
I'd further add that the LX2, unlike the E2DL doesn't have the [IMHO] annoying crenelations on the bezel and TailCap that tend to make my carry and even sometimes use of such models uncomfortable.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast

Don't underestimate the UI.

I wasn't clear - I was comparing the L2 to the LX2 - the UI is the same. I haven't tried an LX2, but the LX2 beam doesn't seem that different from the E2DL beam, which I have tried, and it's VERY different from the classic L2. I think I am agreeing with you on the UI - the UI on the E2DL and E1B doesn't work very well for me.

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic

One of the improvements I felt the L2 could do with, in addition to being a bit shorter, was a tighter beam. And higher output, and longer runtime. :grin2:
No prizes for why the LX2 fits my needs so well then! :twothumbs

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

I wasn't clear - I was comparing the L2 to the LX2 - the UI is the same. I haven't tried an LX2, but the LX2 beam doesn't seem that different from the E2DL beam, which I have tried, and it's VERY different from the classic L2. I think I am agreeing with you on the UI - the UI on the E2DL and E1B doesn't work very well for me.
You can cup an F04 beam shaper to the bezel of the LX2 to get a beam smoother than the L2, but you definitely can't get the L2 to throw as far as the LX2. And like what has been mentioned, run-time and output is better than the L2.

stallion2

Enlightened

How can a "two-stage push button pressure switch" be considered a "twisty"?
But you're right - the two-stage push button pressure switch is the significant defining feature of the LX2.
I'd also add the two-way pocketclip facilitating carry deeper inside your pocket.
I'd further add that the LX2, unlike the E2DL doesn't have the [IMHO] annoying crenelations on the bezel and TailCap that tend to make my carry and even sometimes use of such models uncomfortable.

:thinking:uh...because it is a twisty??? there's no way you could argue that its a clicky. be it two stage or not its still just a momentary switch. and the A2's have the same feature, not sure if any other SF's have it but its not just the LX2. while clickys are more convenient to use the LX2's tailcap shares the defining advantage of all other twistys...reliability.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

:thinking:uh...because it is a twisty??? there's no way you could argue that its a clicky. be it two stage or not its still just a momentary switch. and the A2's have the same feature, not sure if any other SF's have it but its not just the LX2. while clickys are more convenient to use the LX2's tailcap shares the defining advantage of all other twistys...reliability.
I agree. When Al asked that question, I was puzzled. If it is not a twisty, then what is it? It is definitely not a clicky and moreover we in CPF are quite used to calling it a 2-stage twisty. Wouldn't it be easier to call it a twisty than a "two-stage push button pressure switch"?

Size15's

Flashaholic

Ah. So in your minds there are only two types of switch - clickies, and everything else?

How about
1) latching push-button "clickie" switch TailCaps,
2) non-latching push-button pressure switch TailCaps,
3) closed-end "twisty" TailCaps?

Of course there are also flashlights that don't have TailCaps, where the bezel is the 'twisty' component, or where the push button is integrated directly into the body.

I guess I'm old school because when I see "twisty" I expect a flashlight without any form of push button pressure switch (latching or momentary).

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast

I guess I'm old school because when I see "twisty" I expect a flashlight without any form of push button pressure switch (latching or momentary).

Where I come from, old school is striking the match to light the candle :nana: Or perhaps just turning the head of a 6C.

The "two stage button pressure switch", though:
1) needs a catchier name
2) is the type of switch I'm most familiar with using, so that's probably part of why I'm drawn to it years later on the A2L/LX2
3) is, with the exception of the E1B, the only type of switch that I've EDC'd for a long time now

I do tend to use it in momentary more often than constant-on, so it's fair that "twisty" isn't fully accurate.

Regards,
Tempest

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

In SF's website it is described as a "tactical two-stage pushbutton tailcap switch" which is in itself descriptive but like what Tempest UK said, "needs a catchier name". And it doesn't state the fact that one can twist or tighten the tailcap for constant on. How about calling it "tactical two-stage pushbutton and twisty tailcap switch"?

What I am saying Al is that we all understand this tailcap from SF to be a twisty action with a push button built-in for momentary on operation. It is too long a name for us to type and we all chose to use a simpler name by calling it a twisty tailcap which isn't exactly wrong. 2-stage twisty tailcap to be a little bit more exact. Or we would have to start using acronyms like "TTSPTS", as how we called the "Lock-Out Tailcap" an "LOTC"

I guess Surefire should have a tailcap naming competition. Winner would receive an M3LT and a box of SF batteries. How's that? :D