Surefire LumaMax LX2 - should I buy it ?

umc

Enlightened
Re: LX 2 held one

I planned on getting one from REI as well but they sold out, so I called to check to see if they were getting them back in and the lady said their were no "signs" that they would. She looked at something on her computer and stated that they don't show any coming in for the next several months at least.

I was bummed because I had some credit I wanted to use with them but oh well.

I ended up going through spydertactical.com since they offer cpf forum members a 20% discount.

Patriot

Flashaholic

I finally found someone in my area that had the LX 2 in stock. After playing with it. I know this is the light I want. So within a Month I'll buy this from REI. If they have them in by then. They don't there are others that sell it.

Keep an eye on the CPF Marketplace. I saw one sell recently for around $130 in new condition.

BigDawg147

Newly Enlightened

I planned on getting one from REI as well but they sold out, so I called to check to see if they were getting them back in and the lady said their were no "signs" that they would. She looked at something on her computer and stated that they don't show any coming in for the next several months at least.

I was bummed because I had some credit I wanted to use with them but oh well.

I ended up going through spydertactical.com since they offer cpf forum members a 20% discount.
That's my backup. I was told by a women at REI that they where due in the first week of May.

DanTSX

Newly Enlightened

I just got mine.:cool:

Get it from a site sponser, if not, go ebay.

The user interface and the build quality are very very well done.

I'll concede that they are pricey, but if you can swing it, it is easily justified the first time you turn it on outside in the dark.

BigDawg147

Newly Enlightened
Surefire Help

I was going to buy the LX 2. Now that the 6PX Pro is due. Why should I spend the extra money on the LX 2? I know no one has an 6PX Pro. I'll be buying one of these within a week. Which should I buy and why?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Re: Surefire Help

I see the LX2 and 6PX as completely different models.

The LX2 is slim with a two-way PocketClip making it far easier to carry - discrete and yet fast to access/stow.
The LX2 has SureFire's two-stage push button pressure switch 'user interface' enabling seamless transition from one output mode (level) to the other.
The LX2 has a TIR optic - a lens that concentrates the beam giving it superior reach.

These are key usage and performance characteristics that I think make the LX2 the far more suitable flashlight model for EDC (everyday carry).

Certainly the 6PX (or more likely the G2X because I value the performance of SureFire's Nitrolon polymer) makes for an attractive flashlight for times when you need a flashlight and can go grab it, or, for when you can carry it in a suitable pouch or holster.

My perspective is that the LX2 is the flashlight to have with you in case you need light, and the 6PX is the flashlight you grab or deliberately carry for when you will need light.

BigDawg147

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the break down of those two lights. That helped allot for me.

Retinator

Enlightened

Nitrolon is VERY nice to have in the fall for the 'warmer' feel to it.

In the winter you'll be in gloves anyways, but not so much in the fall.

You get caught up late at night, the temperature drops, and you reach for you light and your hand freezes.

Is the LX2 a tad longer than the 6PX? if you want throw, go for the LX2.

BigDawg147

Newly Enlightened

No freezes down here in FLA. Last night it did go to 48 F thou.

BigDawg147

Newly Enlightened
LX2 on it's way

I ordered an LX2 last night from REI. thanks for all you help with this light.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Re: LX2 on it's way

BigDawg147, this is your fourth thread on your SF LX2 selection, shopping & purchase, so I've merged them all. From all reports, it's a great light, but I think that just doing one thread might have been better. :)

I've also changed the title of the combined thread slightly.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
I didn't like mine because of the beam pattern. I prefer more spill around the hotspot. Despite the small hotspot it still couldn't throw like a T20C2 R2. I also didn't like how the clip scraped against the body. I sold it.

recDNA

Flashaholic

I see the LX2 and 6PX as completely different models.

The LX2 is slim with a two-way PocketClip making it far easier to carry - discrete and yet fast to access/stow.
The LX2 has SureFire's two-stage push button pressure switch 'user interface' enabling seamless transition from one output mode (level) to the other.
The LX2 has a TIR optic - a lens that concentrates the beam giving it superior reach.

These are key usage and performance characteristics that I think make the LX2 the far more suitable flashlight model for EDC (everyday carry).

Certainly the 6PX (or more likely the G2X because I value the performance of SureFire's Nitrolon polymer) makes for an attractive flashlight for times when you need a flashlight and can go grab it, or, for when you can carry it in a suitable pouch or holster.

My perspective is that the LX2 is the flashlight to have with you in case you need light, and the 6PX is the flashlight you grab or deliberately carry for when you will need light.

Why would you want such a narrow beam for EDC? I agree the size is perfect and I liked the two stage button.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I don't see the LX2 as having a narrow beam. IMHO it has anything but! Of course it is subjective but in use I much prefer the large punch style beam. I just don't need a bright surround beam - its wasted light that the TIR collects and makes useful.

zcxczx

Newly Enlightened
I like the looks of the LX2 better than the E2DL. Plus it's the size I'm looking for in that size range. Unless there is one btter. Without spending more $$$.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't see the LX2 as having a narrow beam. IMHO it has anything but! Of course it is subjective but in use I much prefer the large punch style beam. I just don't need a bright surround beam - its wasted light that the TIR collects and makes useful.

I agree the hotspot is large, and there is sufficient spill.

The F04 turns it into pure flood in a matter or 2 seconds anyway. :shrug:

BigDawg147

Newly Enlightened
I got my LX2 yesterday very nice. When I got home last night. With my room nice and dark. Wow this LX2 is nice and bright. I let some guys play with it yesterday. They like how strong it is even indoors.