Surefire LumaMax LX2 - should I buy it ?

BigDawg147

Newly Enlightened
Also when replacing the batts. Should I use SF or is there any others that are as good for less $$$$. No cheap stuff.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry Al, I agree with recDNA, let's compare the LX2 beam to the L2 beam. You don't see the difference? (To me) SF took a GREAT light and made it just another useless (to me) TIR.

And sorry, carrying around a F04 just doesn't cut it (for me).

My .02 FWIW YMMV

EV_007

Enlightened
SureFire LX2 is quite the pocket rocket. My most used SureFire thus far.

The user interface and high outuput on high that you can have on you is nearly perfect.

Now if they offered a High CRI version with tail standing would be golden.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Sorry Al, I agree with recDNA, let's compare the LX2 beam to the L2 beam. You don't see the difference? (To me) SF took a GREAT light and made it just another useless (to me) TIR.

And sorry, carrying around a F04 just doesn't cut it (for me).

My .02 FWIW YMMV
This is where we can completely disagree as a result of our completely different usage requirements.
I found the L2's beam lacked the [any] throw I found I needed the vast majority of the time. Sure it had output but it wasn't useful to me.
For me, a TIR beam makes a poor beam for extreme close up illumination but I can make do because I don't need that sort of beam very often EDC (and if I do then a PhotonII on my keys sorts that out fine).
BUT, a beam like the L2's does not have throw and can not be used for applications requiring throw.
Reflector'd lights that do throw tend to have smaller beams. I like the large beam of the LX2.

Al :)

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
All true Al, but I think what I should have said was that I found the L2 to be a "specialized" (to me) light and I wish (and do I wish!) that they would have kept it as such!

I know others love the new one, and for them I am happy. But, as for me, SF has made that 1 "special" light, just another "run of the mill" TIR (to me), like all their others.

I hope that makes sense.

My .02 FWIW YMMV

nativecajun

Newly Enlightened
Before I buy the LX2 within the next couple of weeks. Any other lights you experts suggest? I can buy the LX2 with 20% off.

Quark Regular. 15 lumens with the surefire is way to much for camping in tent. Only two modes. Quark has moonlight then I think it goes to 12L or maybe a little more. Then it has two more modes or more modes after that. That would be my choice. Much more versitile. I would get the one cell version of the quark but even if you bought the two cell version you are not getting ripped with a ~two hundred dollar price tag.

Just my thoughts no offense to anyone who is a surefire fan. I would love to have one. But they have not kept up with the technology pace with more modes and better runtimes. When they get that right I love surfire lights. I just bought the little E2D incan light, single cell 123. I have always admired that little thing so I bought one before they stopped making them. I do not use it at all. I am waiting for a decent drop in that keeps the same look of the light. But if that light fits your needs and you can afford it I am sure it is made top notch which in my opinion I think all surefire lights are made, then definatly go for it.

Kind Regards,
Daniel

Size15's

Flashaholic
All true Al, but I think what I should have said was that I found the L2 to be a "specialized" (to me) light and I wish (and do I wish!) that they would have kept it as such!

I know others love the new one, and for them I am happy. But, as for me, SF has made that 1 "special" light, just another "run of the mill" TIR (to me), like all their others.

I hope that makes sense.

My .02 FWIW YMMV
So why not keep the F04 on the LX2 the whole time if that's the sort of 'beam' you need?

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because for my job (Paramedic, Tactical Paramedic) and for off-duty use (CCW) I will not (and do not) trust an "add-on" to the light.

It's as simple as that.

My .02 FWIW YMMV

Grayblue

Newly Enlightened
Re: Surefire Help

Why would you want such a narrow beam for EDC? I agree the size is perfect and I liked the two stage button.
It depends on WHY you EDC a certain light.

If you EDC for "general utility," to see and manipulate things near you, and will never ask for anything more, then wide beam is desirable.

If you EDC for unkown emergency situations that may happen, which might include a need for long throw, then throw oriented light like LX2 would be my only choice. This is even more true in regard to security use. The level in intensity needed for seeing something hidden behind vegitation or use iron sights to aim weapon is far higher than when you just need an area lit. If you see a person illuminated with dim light, the image of that person may just dissolve and disappear when you aim that image with iron sight.

I can see close and long range objects with a long throw narrow beam light. So, with more scanning, a throw light can do everhthing a flood light can. But, it does not work the other way around.

Last edited:

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because for my job (Paramedic, Tactical Paramedic) and for off-duty use (CCW) I will not (and do not) trust an "add-on" to the light.

It's as simple as that.

My .02 FWIW YMMV

If your aversion to using the F04 is fear of it falling off or it being inconvenient having to take it on and off, how about the SF FM54 on an LX2? While it is not cheap, it is robust and doesn't require taking something on and off of your light. Hell, it's even built specifically for weapon lights and designed to withstand recoil. LX2+FM54 gives you the best of both worlds.

stallion2

Enlightened
If your aversion to using the F04 is fear of it falling off or it being inconvenient having to take it on and off, how about the SF FM54 on an LX2? While it is not cheap, it is robust and doesn't require taking something on and off of your light. Hell, it's even built specifically for weapon lights and designed to withstand recoil. LX2+FM54 gives you the best of both worlds.

i was so pissed when i first saw that cover...and then saw the cost!!!! the F04 is ok but i did have to wrap the outside w/ some strips of electrical tape and seal it w/ acrylic. it wore and/or stretched w/in a couple weeks of me getting it and started dropping off way too easily. works fine now but i don't really see it as acceptable for it to falter so soon. i've been thinking of making my own since seeing that FM54. i love my SF's but that thing is way overpriced. it costs more than half my lights.