SureFire M6 rechargeable options – SHOOTOUT (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Re: SureFire M6 rechargeable options – SHOOTOUT

Move from another thread:

I recently purchased 2 more M6's from CPF members for a total of 7 and I'm beginning to think that I have a problem. :eek: At least I can try to convince myself that there's some kind of justification since there are the M6 variations and set-up combinations.

Currently my M6 lights are set up like this:

MN15, primaries
KL6 Milky Q5 mod, AWRCR123's
M3 head with LF EO-M3 bulb, primaries
EO-M6R, 3 x 17670's
1185, 3 x 17670's

I'd like to get everyone's thoughts on how I might set-up the other two. I'm familiar with most of the configurations, I just thought it would be fun to see what CPFers think would be the best while taking into consideration what I have now.

:thanks:

Last edited:

My favorite M6 setup is 2 x C li-ions and MN 16 lamp. If I am right that the lamp is drawing 2.6 amps, runtime is over an hour. Approaches the 1185 in brightness, but runtime of the 1185 on 3 x 17670's is about 30 min.

bill

DM51

Flashaholic

You've got me thinking now! So... what would I have fun with if I had another M6? I'm not sure, but I think it would probably be earmarked for 2x IMR26500 and petrev's short tailcap insert, running the brightest bulb I can find to fit in there - 64275 maybe...

Patriot

Flashaholic

64275 maybe...

Hmm. I hadn't even considered that. Now, I'd still have to grind the bulb or open the reflector hole some correct?

William, thanks for the ideas. That's another that I hadn't considered.

DM51

Flashaholic

Now, I'd still have to grind the bulb or open the reflector hole some correct?
I'm not sure of the diameter of the bulb, but drilling out the reflector hole to make it slightly larger is not too difficult.

Edwood

Enlightened

I now have an ultimate LED and Incan combo.

M6 with an LED Zeppelin MZXR-7 and an M3T with WA1185 (running 3x IMR16340). I swap between the two, but use the M6 body the most.

One thing that really bugs me about the FM 3x17670 battery set up is the battery rattle in the M6 tube. I also notice that it causes wear on the edges of the AW 17670 cell's outer wrap. I found that rotating the batteries so that the silver label is facing out helps a bit. But the battery carrier rattle is still there.

I had a scrap sheet of teflon lying around, so I cut it to shape and put is inside the M6 body tube. Now the FM carrier fits perfectly snug, and it slides out easily, just need to pull it out from the charging plug end. :) The teflon sheet stays put inside, and can be easily removed when I want to use the stock MB20 carrier.

-Ed

Patriot

Flashaholic

Very nice combo Edwood. Run-time is pretty limited on the three small IMR's though huh. Sounds to me like you need another M6 :)

Edwood

Enlightened

Very nice combo Edwood. Run-time is pretty limited on the three small IMR's though huh. Sounds to me like you need another M6 :)

Heheh, yeah, runtime is realistically less than 10 minutes so as to keep the IMR's in decent shape. The extra spring compression of the FM Bi Pin holder also makes it a pain to swap heads.

I missed out on the Megallenium and a nice mint M6 body on the marketplace.

Oh well. I really like the balance between the two, however. The M-Zep head is quite heavy compared to stock head, so it balances better with the M6. The standard KT4 head is quite lightweight with the WA1185, so it balances great on the M3 body.

The WA1185 is more of a back up solution and incan fun time solution for me. As the M-Zep with 7x R2 Crees blows it out of the water. But's a bulky and heavy combo.

The M3T with WA1185 is a much lighter weight combo. (not to mention much much cheaper). It gets a bit too long paired with an SW02, but I love the sexy combo, even though I barely ever use it.

-Ed

Last edited:

Edwood

Enlightened

I snagged a Megalennium from Varooj. :)

Now I need to decide if I want IMR 18650's or Protected 18650's.

I'd go with Protected AW cells if I stick with WA1185's. But I keep wondering what other crazy bulb I could go with. But it would require enlarging the hole in the stock reflector. Hmmmm. I do have an extra reflector lying around I could try. Although it would probably be easier to mod the bulb.

Any bulb recommendations? :)

-Ed

Last edited:

I'd go with Protected AW cells if I stick with WA1185's. But I keep wondering what other crazy bulb I could go with. But it would require enlarging the hole in the stock reflector. Hmmmm. I do have an extra reflector lying around I could try. Although it would probably be easier to mod the bulb.

-Ed

I'm running 3 x IMR 18650's with an MN61 bulb and am pleased with the results in the Megalennium. Good throw, very bright, excellent beam shape. The soft start probably lengthens bulb life, and although the retail is $30 + I often see this MN 60 and MN 61 for $20 or less on CPF.

GunSmoke16610

Enlightened

Thanks to DM51 for all the work on this post. As a result my M6 with WA 1185/3s 17670 (Fivemega) light recently arrived. The beam and throw are amazing!

Will follow up with beam shots, until then here it is (Along with my Milky)

P1010150-1.jpg

P1010149.jpg

Patriot

Flashaholic

GunSmoke those are great! Hey, let me know if you ever get rid of that Milky KL2 as it's one of my favorite M3 heads ever. :)

Patriot

Flashaholic

-Ed

I'd run the protected 18650's since there's really no advantage to the IMR's in this application...well, other than safe chemistry. I'd go for capacity since even the 1185 is well within their discharge rate.

Patriot

Flashaholic

You've got me thinking now! So... what would I have fun with if I had another M6? I'm not sure, but I think it would probably be earmarked for 2x IMR26500 and petrev's short tailcap insert, running the brightest bulb I can find to fit in there - 64275 maybe...

Now that the 3 x 18650 is available, the "M6-allenium" as you call it...lol, what's you're take on 3 x 18650 IMR's and 64623? The voltage is on the low end of the scale and draws 8.8A at 12v @ 2800 lumens, but.......your thoughts?

BSBG

Enlightened

Now that the 3 x 18650 is available, the "M6-allenium" as you call it...lol, what's you're take on 3 x 18650 IMR's and 64623? The voltage is on the low end of the scale and draws 8.8A at 12v @ 2800 lumens, but.......your thoughts?

Underwhelming - yellow and not as bright as you might think as the 3 cells will sag well below the nominal 12v. The 623 won't fit in a SF head without some serious reaming as well. You need 4 18650s to make the 623 really shine, as in an Elephant II, Colossus or Mammoth.

Patriot

Flashaholic

Underwhelming - yellow and not as bright as you might think as the 3 cells will sag well below the nominal 12v. The 623 won't fit in a SF head without some serious reaming as well. You need 4 18650s to make the 623 really shine, as in an Elephant II, Colossus or Mammoth.

Ok, thanks BSBG. I'm looking for a bulb that's brighter than the 1185 and will work on 3 x IMR's. Reaming is no problem. I've run out of ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.