SureFire M6 rechargeable options – SHOOTOUT (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DM51

Flashaholic
Re: SureFire M6 rechargeable options – SHOOTOUT

I agree with BSBG there. The other (perhaps more serious) problem you would find would be with heat management. The KT4 head is not good at heat dissipation, due to the shock isolation. Don't forget that this is achieved with a damper made of neoprene, and if the neoprene got too hot it could be severely damaged, or it could even melt.

DM51

Flashaholic

@ GunSmoke16610... please could you resize your photos in post #353 - they are nice pics, but too large.

Patriot

Flashaholic

Thanks guys and great points about thermal issues. I guess I've just been pondering the next M6 step beyond the 1185 even if the safe run duration was cut to a 30 second duty cycle. In other words I'm just curious about whats possible and not necessarily what's practical. After scrolling through Lux Luthor's charts it doesn't appear that there's any bulb that would fit the bill so going beyond the 1185 might just be a dead end. I'm afraid that exploring 2C options might not get me any further either.

max52

Newly Enlightened

Did I miss something? I have the fivemega 6 17670 with extension running the MN21.

DM51

Flashaholic

Did I miss something? I have the fivemega 6 17670 with extension running the MN21.
The configuration for that will be 2s3p. It should be very bright, but I doubt your MN21 will last very long as it will be severely over-driven.

Patriot

Flashaholic

Basically the same as a 2C set-up which I decided against because of very short bulb life and multiple clicks to start.

Last edited:

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast

It wouldn't run for very long, but would 2x LiFePO4 18650 cells in one of Eric's holders work with the MN21? Would it be too under-driven?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

It wouldn't run for very long, but would 2x LiFePO4 18650 cells in one of Eric's holders work with the MN21? Would it be too under-driven?

They have the potential to flash the MN21, which likes to run at about 6.8 volts or so. Do some research, even in this thread, regarding the voltage requirements of the MN21.

Bill

Patriot

Flashaholic

EDIT: Yes, a little under driven with LiFePO4.

Last edited:

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast

They have the potential to flash the MN21, which likes to run at about 6.8 volts or so. Do some research, even in this thread, regarding the voltage requirements of the MN21.

Bill

I'm confused, LiFePO4 cells should be ~3.2-3.3v under load, correct? 2x LiFePO4 cells in series should be 6.4-6.6v compared to the MN21's operating voltage of 6.8. Wouldn't they be under-driven rather than overdriven? Is the initial, open voltage of ~3.7v per cell before they settle enough to flash or shorten the life of the lamp?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

Yes, I believe you are right. Two should be ok, and short lived. Thinking of another cell.

Bill

Jay T

Enlightened

Thanks guys and great points about thermal issues. I guess I've just been pondering the next M6 step beyond the 1185 even if the safe run duration was cut to a 30 second duty cycle. In other words I'm just curious about whats possible and not necessarily what's practical. After scrolling through Lux Luthor's charts it doesn't appear that there's any bulb that would fit the bill so going beyond the 1185 might just be a dead end. I'm afraid that exploring 2C options might not get me any further either.

How about this for wild bright. Take an FM 3x17670 holder and load it with 6 IMR16340 cells. Then use a Hikari JC5033 G4 12V 35W bulb. Looking at Lux's charts this should get you up into the 3K lumen range. Not much run time, but, it should be bright.

Patriot

Flashaholic

How about this for wild bright. Take an FM 3x17670 holder and load it with 6 IMR16340 cells. Then use a Hikari JC5033 G4 12V 35W bulb. Looking at Lux's charts this should get you up into the 3K lumen range. Not much run time, but, it should be bright.

LOL....If I told you I had already thought of this combo you'd immediately know I was lying to you...:crackup:

That's definitely one set-up I hadn't considered yet. Thanks Jay T. :)

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a crazy idea, but I do not know if it will work.

First. Where do I get this
"The Fivemega 2C extender comes with a plastic sleeve "

If I have the extender and I use the modified tailcap mod that comes with the 6 17500 holder from Pete.

Would I be able to fit 2 li-on D cells from KD. The black protected versions claim 5000mAh.

I would want to run the wa111 and my 5 R2 drop-in which runs from 3 to 24v fully regulated. Dennis's drop-in creation.:grin2:

Thanks,
Jose

DM51

Flashaholic

I have a crazy idea, but I do not know if it will work.

First. Where do I get this
"The Fivemega 2C extender comes with a plastic sleeve "

If I have the extender and I use the modified tailcap mod that comes with the 6 17500 holder from Pete.

Would I be able to fit 2 li-on D cells from KD. The black protected versions claim 5000mAh.

I would want to run the wa111 and my 5 R2 drop-in which runs from 3 to 24v fully regulated. Dennis's drop-in creation.:grin2:

Thanks,
Jose
It won't work, I'm afraid.

First, the plastic sleeve is for 26 mm diameter 'C' cells, so a 'D' cell won't fit in it.

Second, C-cells are ~50 mm long. D-cells are ~65 mm long, so with 2 of them you would need an extra 30 mm length over and above the ~20 mm you get with the FM extender. In other words, you'd need a total ~50mm extension to take 2x D's. I'm not sure how much saving in length Pete's modded tailcap insert gives you, but that + the 20mm FM extension just won't be enough.

Third, I personally will never recommend those D-cells from KD. That's just my own opinion, though.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

It won't work, I'm afraid.

First, the plastic sleeve is for 26 mm diameter 'C' cells, so a 'D' cell won't fit in it.

Second, C-cells are ~50 mm long. D-cells are ~65 mm long, so with 2 of them you would need an extra 30 mm length over and above the ~20 mm you get with the FM extender. In other words, you'd need a total ~50mm extension to take 2x D's. I'm not sure how much saving in length Pete's modded tailcap insert gives you, but that + the 20mm FM extension just won't be enough.

Third, I personally will never recommend those D-cells from KD. That's just my own opinion, though.

I sent a PM to fivemega regarding the need for a D cell extention now that KD sells the dedicated chargers and the 5000mAh 3.7v cells:thumbsup:

His response
"In fact, I am studying and will consider about this mod."

I think this means he was already considering making this mod for us. I sure hope so.:candle::D:popcorn:

DM51

Flashaholic

Good news for those of you who have been having instaflash problems - AW's M6 Softstart is now available.

This fits inside the regular M6 tailcap, and will give a better lifetime on bulbs such WA1185.

Also a very good solution for those who would like to use the Philips 5761, which is normally very prone to instaflash on 2x Li-Ions.

325addict

Enlightened

@ DM51: now you tempted me to buy an M6 :green:

I always regarded it as "non-practical" because of powering-problems, but whoow, since I read your most-extensive thread on the M6 I've ever seen, I changed my mind.... drastically! Now I want one :green: :green: :green:

Without going through all these pages of replies, I've got one single, but important question: there seem to be no less than FIVE original MN-XX lamps around, only two of those are originally intended to be used with the M6 (correct me if I'm wrong here).
The question is: which lamp has been designed for which voltage (or number of series-connected primary CR123s)?

I'm not looking for the last Lumen to squeeze out of it, I want to be on the safe side, and I want a decent runtime (about an hour or so, a little less is OK) so I thought of using the 2X 18650 holder. A bulb that has been designed to run on 3X primary CR123s is right in this case, isn't it? If this is no good (no matching MN-XX lamp) I can also use the 3X 16760 holder, but I think, there's no lamp to match this one in the SF-assortment.
Alternatively, I could use the Lumens Factory bulb, this one has been designed to operate on 10.8V (that means: 3X Li-ion in series) so, in this case the 3X 16760 will do?
There's no 3X 18650 holder, as this won't fit I suppose?

Final question: I see, this LF-bulb also throws out 700 Lumens, just like one of their D36 dropins for the M90 Rattlesnake.
Do you have any idea on how these two lamps will perform, does one have the better throw, spill, overall brightness out of the front etc etc??
If they are quite equal, there's little need to buy an M6... I already have an M90 with the conversion kit ("150" extender, three batts, charger etc etc).

Timmo.

Status
Not open for further replies.