Surefire P61 LA went Poof!

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello all, recently got a C2 and was given a P61 LA along with the stock P60 LA, I put some loose CR123 Panasonic celss in and turned it on to compare it to my 6P which had the P60 LA, it looked dull compared to the P60 so I swapped for some fresh out the packet CR123 cells and proceeded to twist the tailcap back on, only to find it flash on and off very quickly, I killed the P61!

Now I know im not using Surefire cells so that could be the problem but does this happen often? Im gutted I didnt even get a chance to try out my P61 :mecry:

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello all, recently got a C2 and was given a P61 LA along with the stock P60 LA, I put some loose CR123 Panasonic celss in and turned it on to compare it to my 6P which had the P60 LA, it looked dull compared to the P60 so I swapped for some fresh out the packet CR123 cells and proceeded to twist the tailcap back on, only to find it flash on and off very quickly, I killed the P61!

Now I know im not using Surefire cells so that could be the problem but does this happen often? Im gutted I didnt even get a chance to try out my P61 :mecry:

I don't think batteries are the problem.
Most probably, lamp envelope had tiny crack, some oxygen escape inside and cause the filament burnt.

That's most likely a bad lamp. Primary CR123s are all the same voltage, so it's not a brand issue, besides, Panasonic probably makes SF cells.

You said the LA was given to you, had it been used or dropped?

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recieved it as part of a deal with the C2 I bought a few weeks ago on the MP, it did come all the way from USA but it was also very well packaged and bubblewrapped, so I dont think shipping it was the problem, maybe just a faulty bulb envelope. bah nevermind, doesnt sound too common anyway. Im getting a M61W for the host soon.

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
For what it's worth, Panasonic batteries are excellent quality cells. They are issued to many military troops for use in their issue lights. I have used them myself for a while with great results. Definitely a lamp problem as others have already said.

tffrost

Newly Enlightened
I've used the P60 and P61 LAs in my issue 950 series weapon light along with SF, Panasonic, Energizer, Duracell, and even Kodak batteries - lithium and not. I've really never had a problem with the batteries but have found the bulbs need to be handled with some TLC when swapping. I've experienced the flash and burn on the P61 from getting breakfree on the lamp after cleaning my weapon and not cleaning my hands. I also had it happen after one of my P61s fell a foot or so onto my workbench and I installed to see if it was still good to go.