Surviorman/Man vs Wild?

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Anybody else watch Discovery channel's Man vs. Wild?

That guy wouldnt survive a week on his OWN.

Now, Survivor Man, thats the real deal, he is out there ALONE,
seems more acknowledgeable, and does much harder challenges.

~John

It's more realistic, becuase there's real danger if he gets hurt. Hence, he doesn't take as many chances as Bear on MvW.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast

That guy wouldnt survive a week on his OWN.

Now, Survivor Man, thats the real deal, he is out there ALONE,
seems more acknowledgeable, and does much harder challenges.

~John
Yeah, that poor SOB has to lug around and set up his own camera equipment. It would suck to have to set up a camera 500 feet out to get that neat shot of you walking against the horizon, then have to go back for it.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I still like the show, especially for the entertainment value and scenery but from tonight's show where he is stranded in Iceland, the cynical side of me has the following questions. Did he really accidentally with good luck come across the relatively freshly dead sheep? Did he really catch the bird in the snare overnight or could it perhaps have been planted there sorta like a re-creation of what could have happened. Also why does he continually feel the need to jump from great heights into bodies of water like he did yet again tonight. In none of the these situations, he can't find some single back trail or other means of making it to the bottom without having to jump?

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Survivorman

Finally new episodes about to air!

Below excerpt taken from lesstroudonline e-mailing.

Survivorman – Season 2

The long awaited season of Survivorman is nearly upon us. From the rain forests of the Amazon, to the scorching heat of the Kalahari Desert, to the dog teams of Labrador, air times are now official, well, as official as broadcasters can be. Look for the new season to start on August 10th on Discovery and October 2nd on OLN.

WhatMACHI

Newly Enlightened
Re: Anyone watch SurvivorMan?

Sounds like a good watch. Im quite interested in these kinds of films, especially when they arent adulterated.

iveseenthelight

Newly Enlightened

I've read a lot of people saying that Bear on Man vs Wild takes too many risks; I think he does some crazy things (floating down a river, crossing a flash flooded creek, running down a mountain side) to illustrate worst case scenarios of something a stranded person might have to do. In the end if you are lost somewhere in the middle of nowhere you have to be able to intelligently move yourself in the direction "civilization" is most likely to be in the fastest amount of time you can. You don't neccassarily (sp) have to go jumping down cliffs and sliding down shears of ice but if you have to atleast he could have shown you once before and given you some safety tips. I do ,however, think Les is a way better overall survivor. I think he could be put into almost anywhere and survive if it was humanly possible; I think Bear does much more research on his shows before hand.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

The more I watch Man vs. Wild, the more I think it's rigged. I was watching an episode last night which I think was a repeat although new to me. In it Bear swims to an Island, lives there awhile and then builds a raft to escape. While on this island, presumedly hundreds of miles from nowhere, he just happens to discover a gallon plastic water jug floating along the shoreline. This water jug provides him with a method to carry enough water for him to survive five days at sea.

I like the show and hope it continues but as other's have pointed out, Survivorman is definitely more real.

meuge

Enlightened

Instead of "Watch. Learn. Survive" I think the blurb for Man vs. Wild should be "Watch. Learn. Do the opposite".

I'm not a pro, but I'm an avid hiker and I've been in a number of places from Russia's endless pine forests... to the Negev desert of Israel, and it terrifies me to think that someone who winds up in an unfortunate situation would ever follow Bear Grylls' advice. It is sure to get them injured or killed.

While neither show is "real", Les at least isn't bent on telling his audience that it's ok to jump into a rapid stream of unknown depth and freezing temperature in the middle of winter.

Interestingly Les insists on choosing a multi-tool for his cutting needs, which (while being useful), I wouldn't trade for a good knife... or 2.

Personally, I like to carry 2 knives if going reasonably deep (more than 12 hours away from help) - a decent folder for delicate work, and a heavy fixed blade for serious cutting).

a4d

Enlightened
Does anyone know what brand of sweatshirt type fleece thing that les stroud wears, the green one?

Or what kind of jackets that bear grylls wears? thanks.

a4d

Enlightened
thanks "monkeyboy" thats a pretty good site.

I can't remember the company that makes les strouds green pullover thing. I remember seeign it in the georgia swamp episode but i can't remember it for the life of me. Anyone else know it.

EDIT: Never mind i found the company of the green pullover he wears if anyone else was wondering the web site is http://www.mec.ca/Main/home.jsp;jse...68589695&bmSubmit=english&bmUID=1200768589695

Last edited:

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anybody know if there are going to be new Survivorman shows? I hope they don't butcher it like they did Man vs. Wild. Man vs. Wild went from an adventure show (admittedly a bit far fetched as we've discussed) to now just pretty much a documentary.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Les Stroud is from what I have read making new episodes. He will not likely change his approach.

The biggest issue with Bear Grylls was a scandel about him having food given to him when he could not find it, rabbits was one food, so he could show you how to cook it and eat it IF you are lucky enough to catch one, and that he stayed in a hotel during one episode, true or not. This has most likely made him change the approach to his show a bit. Just speculation of course.

a4d

Enlightened
Hey to each their own on this topic. I like them both a lot. The only reason i like bear more than les is the fact that bear has set many records. Youngest brit to successfuly climb everest after his doctor told him he'd never walk again, after the bad parachuting(sp) accident in south africa breaking his back in 3 places. To me thats courage. beign the first to parafly or whatever that backpack ting was over everest. Crossing the frozen north atlantic in an inflatable boat. Also this is just cool i think the highest open dining experience at 25,000ft.

Again don't get me wrong they are both pretty much the best at what they do but in the books bear grylls is pretty fearless. Also can't forget he's a black belt in karate and was in the uk special forces.

meuge

Enlightened
Re: Anybody watch Survivorman on Discovery??

He has not had a flashlight or headlamp yet in any I have seen. The only thing he has had regularily is a UPT, Universal Pocket Tool, he has carried in each episode so far I have seen.

In the Labrador episode he had what appeared to be an PT Apex headlamp.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bear is not afraid to eat anything either. I assume that part of the show is not set up.

Well it was rather convient to find a fairly fresh dead camel and sheep on two of his episodes, found that a bit too interesting.

In the Labrador episode he had what appeared to be an PT Apex headlamp

Was that the episode he took the dog sled on? If so it was the only episode he willingly took a rifle on, and he took an ax, so that episode was a bit different than some others. It was rather like a dog sled expedition that went wrong on purpose.

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
Funny thing about that. Bear Grylls was never actually in the SAS. He did go through selection, but broke his pelvis during the parachute course and never got past selection into the continuation phase. He's also a complete moron. As I'm sure has been discussed before, the stuff he shows in a lot of the episodes is likely to get you killed. Then there's the couple of times that it's been shown that he's basically a complete fraud.
Like the "dangerous lava terrain" he was in in Hawaii... Which was 500 feet from the ******* highway and a parking lot. There's a youtube vid of that.

Les Stroud on the other hand. He's the real deal. Solid information. And Les doesn't have his camera crew with him either. Unlike Grylls.

Last edited:

ErickThakrar

Enlightened