Terralux raises the bar!

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lack of good heatsinking makes leds run very hot and I think that K2's can withstand that heat better than other leds.

I really wonder if there is lack of good heatsinking. Reading the instruction manual (available online at Batteryjuncion) they clearly are heatsinking through the back of the drop-in directly to both the head and body tube. Lots of aluminum there in a D M*g. Might be adequate.

-- Alan

Illum

Flashaholic
Lots of aluminum there in a D M*g. Might be adequate.

-- Alan

yeah...but is there a solid thermal path to the head would be the real question.. if it screws on the light tower but has not touching the head it would be thermally isolated:mecry:

mmm, if its really close it might be a good idea to pot the module rim with thermal grease:grin2:

another pic.. :whistle:, terralux sure does a good job of keeping the underbelly of this sucker hidden, theres no pics to be found for it

Last edited:

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will this unit work in the "old" style Mag's (without the "D" on the serial #) ?

The website or instructions do not specify.

Thanks

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to the installation instructions, this unit is screwed down tight against the body tube, making two thermal paths to the body, one on the center screw tower, one on the rim of the body tube; then the head is screwed forward until it contacts the backside of the module. So if the backside of the module is the aluminum heatsink plate, it directly contacts all three of these aluminum areas. Potentially there is a significant amount of heatsinking there, and they call for solid contact. Until we see one of these things in more detail we can't be sure, but the potential is certainly there, if the installation instructions are followed, and the backside of the module is a good heatsink disc. A little thermal grease on the contacting edges would certainly help ;)

-- Alan

yeah...but is there a solid thermal path to the head would be the real question.. if it screws on the light tower but has not touching the head it would be thermally isolated:mecry:

mmm, if its really close it might be a good idea to pot the module rim with thermal grease:grin2:

another pic.. :whistle:, terralux sure does a good job of keeping the underbelly of this sucker hidden, theres no pics to be found for it

Illum

Flashaholic
reread the instructions and :grin2:
as much as I have doubts on terralux's products [dependability over thermal deterioration] I could use one for my Mag6D:twothumbs

Last edited:

nanoWatt

Newly Enlightened
It looks like one of those electric tri-razors. But with no good cooling, I'll consider passing. I've been bitten by the laser bug, so I'm going there first.

Mash

Enlightened
I am sure I have seen those optics andd mounts somewhere during my internet research. Cant quite place the manufacturer at the moment though.
So it would be probably be simply a matter of buying three different lenses from the same manufacturer, of the desired angle and replacing the stick ones, to get the flood/throw ratio you desire.

Illum

Flashaholic
Last edited:

petersmith6

Enlightened
can we have some beam shots please..i whant to see what it will do be spending my hard earnt money

a4d

Enlightened
There site says that the initial output is 600 and right after that it drops to about 500 and thats at the emitter.

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe Battery Junction sent this to the Socal Get Together...very nice floody beam. Very similar beam to my M6. About half as bright. M6 was running MN21

Everyone was really impressed with it. Very usable beam pattern. Sort of like an L4 on crack!

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw it at the Socal get together, too, and it was really, really impressive. Flat out, it's easily worth the price. I compared it to my Kaidomain 3xSSC light, and it appeared to be 2-3 times brighter!

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
What does the new K2 TFFC mean for the flashlight industry? Also do you think it is better at this point to dish money on the new TFFCs or on the SSC P4 U bin. I have to say that the drop in looks awesome and I would like to try one to see exactly how much light it kicks out. However, since it seems to be using something along the lines of the NX05 I don't think it is the candidate for a long throw light. If any one can pry off the optics but leave the holders in place, maybe you could use IMS or McR reflectors in the place of the optics. Then Imagine what that thing could do.... Just a thought of course, not asking any one to sacrifice their's to try.

Cydonia

Enlightened
Interesting... how they went this route for the design. Just hope it works...heh... can't wait for a review, beam shots, and pics of the underneath of the module. Nice flood with projected throw characteristics I assume.
Kinda makes us modders cringe though... nice anodized Mag heatsinks are available sooo cheap from multiple sources now... heh... good cheap drivers too... could almost build a Tri cree on a big sink for that price :thinking:

slo-ryd

Newly Enlightened
I'm paid and waiting with a 4D Mag dying for this. Expect detailed pictures, beamshots and an amateur review. :wave:

donn_

Flashaholic
UPS says mine is out for delivery today. We'll see. I just set up a 3D with 3x C Li-Ion cells and a magnet spacer. I'll pump 12+v into the thing and see what happens.

Pokerstud

Enlightened
UPS says mine is out for delivery today. We'll see. I just set up a 3D with 3x C Li-Ion cells and a magnet spacer. I'll pump 12+v into the thing and see what happens.

Matt says the input voltage is 6-24V DC, but when you look at the PDF file for head installation ( on Matts website ) is states 4-12V DC:thinking: