The 5mm Challenge

Kestrel

Flashaholic
My Eneloop is charging as I post this. Will post pics of my ARC-AAA (Ltd. Edition) tomorrow. I'm in. :)

Edit: As a 'placeholder pic', it's the HA-Natural ARC in the middle:
(originally posted in the main ARC-AAA 'homage' thread)
Arcs.jpg

Last edited:

AusKipper

Enlightened
Just in the interest of preparedness, I assume it doesn't break the rules to carry a backup proper light but not use it?

I could survive without a torch at all really, and did for plenty of years before I got converted.

I'm not afraid of the dark when i'm out walking much, I have a german shepherd who comes with :)

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been carrying my A2 daily for months and have used the LED's 94% of the time. One week? No sweat.

Edit: devil's in the details. ONE 5mm LED? Alright, let me dig out an E01. :devil:

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Just in the interest of preparedness, I assume it doesn't break the rules to carry a backup proper light but not use it?
Yes, it is OK to carry other lights, but for the purposes of this challenge do not use them unless your safety comes into consideration! This is not such a serious game, nothing is at stake here... just something for fun.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been sporting my black Arc AAA GS since Sunday. This is not a challenge for me. I love this light. Do I get extra credit because my wife EDCs an Arc AAA CS? She thinks 5.5 lumens is perfect.

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow. Now thats a challenge Carrot.

So for EDC for 1 whole week (outside of work I have to carry something bright) will be a CMG Infinity.

I'll refrain from using my Draco on my keychain.

:confused:

God help us all....;)

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
This Arc-AAA is my entrant into the challenge. As you can see it has been extremely well-loved, having been on my keychain for nearly 5 years now! It is a Type II Anodize Camouflage model running a Nichia CS LED. I am told it is 5.5 lumens.
This is one of the coolest threads in a while! I hope I can find one of my Arc-P's so I can be using the same light the OP chose!

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only 5mm LED light I have is a 3x 5mm Matterhorn. If I use it on partially depleted batteries, could I play? I have three half-depleted Eneloops from a 3xAAA headlamp I used two weekends ago while camping in the Adirondaks.

drillbit

Newly Enlightened
Hmm, I guess I'll have to dig out my CMG Infinity Ultra. It should still work, the darned thing's nearly indestructible.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry Carrot, I would try this, but I'm afraid my Arc-AAA isn't enough to keep an eye on my doggies at night when I'm in the massive expanse I call my back yard. I'd have a pile of dead and decaying cats collecting back there after about 4 days. I'd love to hear how all of the rest of you fared with this experiment. I could have pulled this off 10 years ago, but, like my cellphone, I have become too dependent on my lights to abandon them now...

carrot

Flashaholic
The only 5mm LED light I have is a 3x 5mm Matterhorn. If I use it on partially depleted batteries, could I play? I have three half-depleted Eneloops from a 3xAAA headlamp I used two weekends ago while camping in the Adirondaks.

Okay! But you don't have any fauxtons either?

Last edited:

choombak

Enlightened
I have been using an Arc-P AAA, an Arc-Ti, a Peak Matterhorn, or a Peak Eiger #6 on depleted batteries, as EDC for the last couple of months. I have never needed a brighter light than what a single 5mm LED puts out. :devil:. The Arc-P, and Arc-Ti are on a "day duty", while the Peak is on a "night duty".

Reporting from the field, carrot sire, and haven't required light more than a 5mm puts out since the challenge started (actually for a long time, but let's count the challenge-days).

5688907515_9b0bcb814c_b.jpg

Last edited:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can I use my HDS Clicky and just never use more than the 3.3 Lumen setting?

That's the setting I use 90% of the time anyways...

If not, I'll have to dig up one of those battery junction coin cell lights...

--flatline

carrot

Flashaholic
Can I use my HDS Clicky and just never use more than the 3.3 Lumen setting?

That's the setting I use 90% of the time anyways...

If not, I'll have to dig up one of those battery junction coin cell lights...

--flatline

Aww... that's no fun... I think you should use your coin cell 5mms! :devil:

SixM

Newly Enlightened
I'll run with this one, it has a high and low but man the purple!!! I'll surely be missing my neutral SS Revo for the week.

IMG_2393.jpg

If I go riding at night I'll stick with my usual setup though, but I'll check and see if it's possible with this one without killing myself.

carrot

Flashaholic
So far, I'm only on day 1 (did yesterday night count?) and it's killing me that I can't use my headlamp. Not for the extra output, but for the hands-free capability. I guess it's back to holding the flashlight between my teeth!

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Failed twice last night, because I needed LESS light for middle of the night baby duty. It was hell only carrying one brighter light, it was my twisty that I put deep in my pocket (not clipped) so I wouldn't grab it first. I didn't even grab the varapower when letting the dog out back.

carrot

Flashaholic
Failed twice last night, because I needed LESS light for middle of the night baby duty. It was hell only carrying one brighter light, it was my twisty that I put deep in my pocket (not clipped) so I wouldn't grab it first. I didn't even grab the varapower when letting the dog out back.
Oof, whatever did we do before we had multi-level lights? Didn't Gransee once say to "cover the head with your finger"?

jonesy

Enlightened
I'm game, if I qualify. I'll pack my Peak Eiger #2 flood with an eneloop. Around 10 lumens.

Eiger.20254.jpg

Latest posts