The best EDC single 123 flashlight? Anyone?

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
flashy bazook said:
for the 30 minutes runtime you mention - maybe you dont' realize that the P1D CE has a 1 hour runtime on max output (135 lumens) and a 2.8 hour output on primary (72 lumens)? Which primary output is bigger than the normally available HDS top output? This is what I meant when I said the HDS is technologically behind the times.

But... but... but... I'd expect most reasonable folks will use the primary setting on the HDS more often than not so the runtime on the highest setting becomes that much less important. Of course, longest runtime and bright high setting (on a multi level light) is always important, but I've played with a P1D-CE and compared it to my lowly HDS Basic 42GT. For my uses, there is no comparison. Easy one-handed operation, large enough to get a good grip on, consistant threads, well-spaced levels which are of course, user-definable.

The Fenix is a fine light and I've certainly owned more Fenix lights than HDS lights. The P1D-CE is SUPER impressive from a gee-whiz perspective, but for daily use, I honestly don't see how anyone can actually feel that the P1D-CE is superior to the HDS. I mean, I'm glad we have both options, and of course, I wish a higher 'high' was available on the HDS but honestly, 10 lumens is plenty of light for almost all applications. If anything, the biggest issue I have with the P1D-CE and many of the multi-level Fenix is that all the settings are too high when used with Li-Ion cells. I mean, I think the P1D-CE on low is about as bright as the HDS 42 on high. That's about like having a car that can only either go 90MPH, 120MPH or 150MPH when most of the time, either 35 or 50 is the right speed.

carlsjrman

Newly Enlightened
cratz2 said:
I mean, I think the P1D-CE on low is about as bright as the HDS 42 on high. That's about like having a car that can only either go 90MPH, 120MPH or 150MPH when most of the time, either 35 or 50 is the right speed.

That's a good point. If you're in the passenger seat of a car and want to read without disturbing the driver, the HDS can go low enough to do that.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or in ANY instance where you want some semblence of night vision preservation, the CEs with LiIons aren't going to get the job done while every single HDS will work just fine.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
flashy bazook said:
for the 30 minutes runtime you mention - maybe you dont' realize that the P1D CE has a 1 hour runtime on max output (135 lumens) and a 2.8 hour output on primary (72 lumens)? Which primary output is bigger than the normally available HDS top output? This is what I meant when I said the HDS is technologically behind the times.
Well you did speak of boutique lights likes the PD. Get an HDS and have milky bring it up to date.

The HDS has high for 30 mins and stepping down to go for much longer than 1 hour. That's 100-150 lumens out the front with the SSC mod. 30 mins is the minimal amount with lights going 40-50 mins all the time.

The P1D is at best 115lm out the front. The claimed 1 hour runtime is optimistic with no one with a P1D can hit this claim at least not at 115lm through out. Try this with your P1D-CE turn it on leave it on a table and walk away for 10 mins and try to pick it up with your bare hands. Try that with an HDS and you'll know why the HDS leaps and bounds ahead in engineering.

The feature set the HDS has makes the P1D-CE look like a stone age light. If brightess, smallest and cheapest is all that's important then the P1D-CE is it. Fenix has you won over with their numbers. I own Fenix's but when I compare it to my HDS there's really no comparison.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
cratz2 said:
But... but... but... I'd expect most reasonable folks will use the primary setting on the HDS more often than not so the runtime on the highest setting becomes that much less important. ... For my uses, there is no comparison. Easy one-handed operation, large enough to get a good grip on, consistant threads, well-spaced levels which are of course, user-definable. ... for daily use, I honestly don't see how anyone can actually feel that the P1D-CE is superior to the HDS. ... 10 lumens is plenty of light for almost all applications.

well, if you will change the criteria for what is the "best" flashlight to those that fit the HDS perfectly, then, I suppose, the HDS "is" the best!

I mean you say that if you only need 10 lumens then the better runtime of the P1D CE doesn't matter in practice - but most folks here at CPF would not agree that the higher outputs don't matter - sometimes you just need more light.

The P1D CE by the way also has a low setting of 12 lumens, at which the manufacturer gives a runtime of 21 hrs. So the low light settings are also covered in the P1D CE for those folks who need them.

then you say you also want a bigger light - but the EDC formfactor that was mentioned at the title thread means a fairly small flashlight, and, again, most folks don't mean by EDC something large enough for large hands, but something small enough not to be a bother when on a key chain. So the criterion you add, which could be an important one in general, is not what the thread here is about.

OK, let me say that given that so many posters here like the HDS so much it must be a very good light and maybe one of the best for what many folks need, and leave it at that!

l1s125

Newly Enlightened
I've been using an LxT head with a nekomane 123 body as my EDC for a little bit now... I think it's a fabulous setup for EDC. It's about as good a light as I need.

LightScene

Enlightened
It looks like HDS flashlights are no longer being manufactured, and are out of stock. So they aren't really relevant anymore are they?

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
flashy bazook said:
well, if you will change the criteria for what is the "best" flashlight to those that fit the HDS perfectly, then, I suppose, the HDS "is" the best!

I mean you say that if you only need 10 lumens then the better runtime of the P1D CE doesn't matter in practice - but most folks here at CPF would not agree that the higher outputs don't matter - sometimes you just need more light.

The P1D CE by the way also has a low setting of 12 lumens, at which the manufacturer gives a runtime of 21 hrs. So the low light settings are also covered in the P1D CE for those folks who need them.

then you say you also want a bigger light - but the EDC formfactor that was mentioned at the title thread means a fairly small flashlight, and, again, most folks don't mean by EDC something large enough for large hands, but something small enough not to be a bother when on a key chain. So the criterion you add, which could be an important one in general, is not what the thread here is about.

OK, let me say that given that so many posters here like the HDS so much it must be a very good light and maybe one of the best for what many folks need, and leave it at that!

I understand you love the P1D and dislike the HDS lights... or at least, you don't embrace the HDS lights. And maybe I have my lights mixed up, but my HDS is 10 lumens on primary. The P1D-CE that I played with, with a LiIon, I'd guess the lowest setting is probably closer to 20 or 30 lumens. Again, that's fine if you just want the brightest light for the longest runtime, but obviously for many, many people, this simply isn't what we are looking for.

If could design an ideal single EDC light, it would be either 1xAA or 1x123 where primary cells and rechargeables put out the same brightness. I'd want at least three settings... 60+ Lumens on high (because when I want bright, I want as bright as reasonably possible) 10 Lumens on medium (which indoors, n non-tactical situations, is PLENTY) and 1 or 2 Lumens on Low (enough to navigate or ready by, but not enough to distract others or blind yourself with reflections. Relatively wide hotspot and adequate spill beam.

Other than a latest, greatest impressive toy to show others and/or brag about, I'd have to suspect that this light would serve 99.9% of most users needs. By my count, the only area where the Fenix beats the HDS is in the brightest setting. And price of course.

Again, I'm glad both are options. Many CPFers have quickly embraced the Cree'd Fenix lights and many CPFers still hold true to their old-school HDS lights (man... three years ago, I never thought I'd refer to a single cell light that has 4 user-definable levels plus other features as old school). This tells me, both are viable options. Eventually, they will get together and have babies and we'll have either clickie or twistie lights that can do 120 Lumens and have reasonable low levels as well. Until then, I'll settle for the reasonable low levels and a decent high rather than three blinding high levels.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
cratz2 said:
I understand you love the P1D and dislike the HDS lights... or at least, you don't embrace the HDS lights. And maybe I have my lights mixed up, but my HDS is 10 lumens on primary. The P1D-CE that I played with, with a LiIon, I'd guess the lowest setting is probably closer to 20 or 30 lumens. Again, that's fine if you just want the brightest light for the longest runtime, but obviously for many, many people, this simply isn't what we are looking for.

thanks for the info. on the HDS, definitely if it is ever updated I'd look at the new light since the original HDS has such strong support.

One more point, it is not fair to be complaining about the P1D CE because a liIon messes with its regulation circuit. Most good lights have certain tolerances, and within most useable batteries the P1D CE will not have the behavior you describe. If in fact you need to use the lowest setting of the P1D CE, just don't use the LiIons!

and please don't tell me you have to use the LiIons for the high output or the long runtime, since you already told me you don't care very much about these factors! If your focus is low output, get the right battery for that - don't complain about misusing the light in such circumstances. The P1D CE can give you 12 lumen output.

now, I know many CPF'rs often mention they want a low between 1-2 lumen, OK, I respect that, but again the need for this is exaggerated - I know plenty of people who use lights for a few minutes late at night and while wanting low output, (to keep their night vision, not disturb others, etc., etc.) and they can do just fine with 12 lumens.

cslinger

Enlightened
Count me way in the HDS Basic or Ultimate camp. Fenix makes great lights for the dollar but the HDS offerings are the best, most useful, lights I have ever owned and that is coming from a Surefire fan and somebody who really likes the Fenix offerings.

I am also one of those people that likes having the option of very low 1-4 lumens of light on tap for a great many uses.

If it were me I would most likley wait to see what the Novatac offering (new HDS) ends up being like. If it is as useful and well made as the originals then I believe it will be the best light overall period, given its projected cost vs. feature set.

Good to see so many happy HDS users.

can do just fine with 12 lumens
To me 12 lumens is very very bright to night adapted eyes, especially trying to read white pages of a book. The splashback of light can be very uncomfortable for bit. I really prefer something along the lines between a Surefire L1 on low and a Surefire A2 on LEDs. So probably around 2-3 lumens. That is just me of course. I also prefer this level for a middle of the night trip to the bathroom. 12 lumens coming right out of sleep is downright blinding for a second. Heck my alarm clock would give me more then ample light if I could pick it up and use it. Hence my U42 is set to come on extremely low like 1 lumen or maybe a bit less. Again to each their own and the Fenix is a spectacular light for the money but it is missing features/capabilities that make it the perfect light for me.

Chris

Last edited:

martonic

Enlightened
If it's throw you're after, the Lumapower D-Mini on a single RCR123A can't be beat. Con: it may be the biggest single 123 light there is - not sized for EDC!

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
flashy bazook said:
thanks for the info. on the HDS, definitely if it is ever updated I'd look at the new light since the original HDS has such strong support.

One more point, it is not fair to be complaining about the P1D CE because a liIon messes with its regulation circuit. Most good lights have certain tolerances, and within most useable batteries the P1D CE will not have the behavior you describe. If in fact you need to use the lowest setting of the P1D CE, just don't use the LiIons!

and please don't tell me you have to use the LiIons for the high output or the long runtime, since you already told me you don't care very much about these factors! If your focus is low output, get the right battery for that - don't complain about misusing the light in such circumstances. The P1D CE can give you 12 lumen output.

now, I know many CPF'rs often mention they want a low between 1-2 lumen, OK, I respect that, but again the need for this is exaggerated - I know plenty of people who use lights for a few minutes late at night and while wanting low output, (to keep their night vision, not disturb others, etc., etc.) and they can do just fine with 12 lumens.

You're right... you win! Obviously there is no need for lights like theHDS lights and the few of us that prefer them don't have a lick of common sense.

wink2.gif

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
cslinger said:
To me 12 lumens is very very bright to night adapted eyes, especially trying to read white pages of a book. The splashback of light can be very uncomfortable for bit. I really prefer something along the lines between a Surefire L1 on low and a Surefire A2 on LEDs. So probably around 2-3 lumens. That is just me of course. I also prefer this level for a middle of the night trip to the bathroom. 12 lumens coming right out of sleep is downright blinding for a second. Heck my alarm clock would give me more then ample light if I could pick it up and use it. Hence my U42 is set to come on extremely low like 1 lumen or maybe a bit less. Again to each their own and the Fenix is a spectacular light for the money but it is missing features/capabilities that make it the perfect light for me.

Chris

12lm is blinding in the middle night. Even 2-5lm is blinding when you've been driving on a dark road for the last 4 hours. I'm often the map guy and I have my HDS set to level 17 (.44lm) to read a map if you use >10lm it'll blind or the glare will distract the driver.

warpdrive

Enlightened
cratz2 said:
The Fenix is a fine light and I've certainly owned more Fenix lights than HDS lights. The P1D-CE is SUPER impressive from a gee-whiz perspective, but for daily use, I honestly don't see how anyone can actually feel that the P1D-CE is superior to the HDS.

Exactly. the HDS is a light that fits the "just right" category in terms of the complete package.

My other lights have far more gee-whiz factor.

My L4, P1, and my D-Mini all have a "wow" factor that blows away my HDS. The Dmini's throw wows me every time I point it at something. My L4 is impresses me the way it floods the entire room with uniform wall of light. My P1 is a little pocket rocket that completely disappears inside my pocket. But none of these make the perfect EDC.

The HDC's charm is really its everyday useability, and the fact that it feels reliable and inspires confidence every time you hold or use it. I'd be pretty confident if it was my only light if I were to take it into some expedition.

I have it programmed in the following matter
- I have the "Hold button for momemtary light" and "remember last setting" option on.

I really value the way you can have a super low setting of your choice. I've used it in the theater without disrupting others, in the car when reading maps at night without disturbing the driver at all. I have mine set to level 16 which is quite dim compared to the lowest setting of many other multilevel lights.

I think for any EDC to me useful, you really need one handed operation. I found my P1 frustrating to use in that manner in my last trip. Often, I only need 5 seconds of light, and using a twisty head or tail is just annoying at times.

I can access all the preset brightness in the HDS with a simple double or triple click, all in one hand

Sure the HDS is not the brightest, but for an EDC, it's bright enough. I may consider having it upgraded, but frankly, maximum brightness is not an issue because my reason for having a EDC is for everyday close range use wiring the HT system, hiking, looking in the basements or pipes, and emergency use. I light the fact that the HDS is fully regulated with smooth gradual step down through the levels. I always feel like I'm getting the maximum out of whatever battery I am using.

It's beam pattery is a nearly ideal, good sized and smooth spot, with very useful spill. With the diffuser, it becomes a great very close range light with perfectly uniform output.

Like all the others, I think one must own the HDS to fully appreciate its brilliance as a EDC light.

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic
The best is the latest incarnation of the Mclux PD
(with the latest led)

ie. 19XR-PD or PD-S

Everything about the PD is brilliantly thought out and the
robust mechanics make it virtually indestructible
(especially the Ti ones) :rock:

They may be much more outlay than some are prepared to pay,
but each one is is worth more than 10 mass-produced lights IMO.

winston

Enlightened
One vote for the D-Mini. Great throw, but as a result the diameter of the head is bigger than what I would consider ideal in an EDC. As a disclaimer I should add that I have only one other 1x123 light to compare it to, so be warned that my input is not really authoritative. :tinfoil: